Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Proposal: Online Shopping Guide board

There are now two threads on the MFD and four on the JSO asking about buying perfumes and samples online. Eventually these threads get moved to City Shopping Guide, where they are buried under nearly two dozen sub-forums dealing with brick and mortar stores in various countries. People never look to the CSG for online retail information, and why should they? When I was first trying to find this information years ago, it didn't make sense to me to scroll thru guides for Italy, Germany, the UK, etc., as if I was planning a sniffing vacation, in order to find info about e-tailers.

I think there needs to be an Online Shopping Discussion board prominently on the front page where everyone can see it, read it, and post to it. I used to think this should be within the CSG, but I've now changed my mind about that given all the sub-forums in the CSG to wade thru, and the fact that it is nicely planned out to be a guide to brick and mortar stores around the world. The amount of activity that is already being generated about online stores in both posts and new threads seems to warrant these discussions having their own board. Plus, again, the proposed OSD needs to be prominent, on the main page. It seems to me moving all these threads all the time has got to be getting tiresome for the mods.

Thanks for reading. I'm feeling vent-y. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Heartwood; 12th March 2010 at 02:42 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Proposal: Online Shopping Guide board

I disagree. Basenotes is not meant to be a feedback and review system for retailers. I agree that with the volume of topics of this nature they should have a dedicated location but another full blown forum on the main page legitimizes online reviews a primary function of the community. This undermines the purpose of the community and would be somewhat ambiguous with the existing City Shopping Guides. I stand by my other thread on this topic suggesting we rename the "City Shopping Guides" to "Shopping Guides" and define that forum as the defacto location for all these retailer threads. I really liked your idea of sorting the threads by name like the Single Note forum so certain stores can be found quickly. I'll be more than happy to volunteer my time to populate this new forum with as many retailers as possible like Asha did fantastically with the Single Notes. Maybe I can even add a poll to each with 5 options for a feedback score, like 5 stars is best and 1 star is worst.

Perhaps a good compromise is to add a new subforum within Shopping Guides called "Internet Retailers" and have it appear at the top of the subforum list? The forum software has the ability to specify the order of subforums. By putting this subforum at the top it will have the prominence you are looking for while keeping it off the main page.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 12th March 2010 at 05:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Proposal: Online Shopping Guide board

Your idea works fine for me, DocmanCC. It's extra kind of you to offer your assistance in such an endeavor.

(edit: Apparently I failed to notice two more threads in the Off Topic forum.)
    Last edited by Heartwood; 12th March 2010 at 06:03 PM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous