Code of Conduct

Default My mom needs a hands cream, help please....?

I m planning a trip to San Fco or Chicago and I want a suggestion for a good hand cream for my mother.

I need some suggestions,

Thanks in advance,
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Default Re: My mom needs a hands cream, help please....?

As is the case with fragrances, I need to ask, how much do you want to spend?

I am a foot cream connoisseur, and I've tried tons of stuff. Needless to say, when you use it on your feet, you use it on your hands too. My favorites are Aveda Foot Relief (and hence it's counterpart Hand Relief, which doesn't smell as good), Bath and Body Works' Shea It Isn't So foot cream (there is a hand version of this as well that is less minty-smelling), and L'Occitane's Lavender shea butter foot cream (don't know about a hand version). But heck, if you're going to be doing your hands anyway, you might as well pay some attention to your feet too! And trust me, the above mentioned creams are the best. They're all $15-20.

If you don't want to spend that much, try:
    Nutrogena Hand Cream (smells better than the foot cream and is otherwise identical)
    Gold Bond Foot Cream (nice smell, works great)
    Any generic vitamin E cream in a tub.
    (these are all about $5)

...you get what you pay for. ...but try and find sales!
    Last edited by Scentronic; 12th March 2010 at 06:34 PM.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    As is the case with fragrances, I need to ask, how much do you want to spend?

I am a foot cream connoisseur, and I've tried tons of stuff. Needless to say, when you use it on your feet, you use it on your hands too. My favorites are Aveda Foot Relief (and hence it's counterpart Hand Relief, which doesn't smell as good), Bath and Body Works' Shea It Isn't So foot cream (there is a hand version of this as well that is less minty-smelling), and L'Occitane's Lavender shea butter foot cream (don't know about a hand version). But heck, if you're going to be doing your hands anyway, you might as well pay some attention to your feet too! And trust me, the above mentioned creams are the best. They're all $15-20.

If you don't want to spend that much, try:
    Nutrogena Hand Cream (smells better than the foot cream and is otherwise identical)
    Gold Bond Foot Cream (nice smell, works great)
    Any generic vitamin E cream in a tub.
    (these are all about $5)

...you get what you pay for. ...but try and find sales!

Thanks a million scentronic....Well, curiously my mom had L Occitane creams and Neutrogena also.
    Here, in Chile L Occitane is very expensive but I m thinking to buy overseas.
    She likes L Occitane and she knows is expensive and for that reason she use it few amounts....Thats ridicoulus, because she can use more because she dont have too much money problems....Who knows....Thats why Neutrogena is nice for her.

Cheers,
    "Burn their homes and churches.Then see if they will not laugh, sing and pray again.
    For when two of them meet anywhere in the world, see if they will not create a new Armenia."

William Saroyan.

Using: Antaeus, The Dreamer, Eau Sauvage and Voyage d Hermes

Wishing: Tuscan Soul by Ferragamo and Concentré d Orange Verte

Basenotes Plus

Aveda makes a wonderful hand cream but several other I have found effective are: Jurlique Rose hand cream, Crabtree & Evelyn Gardner's Hand Therapy, and for seriously dry hands "Tough not Rough" Outdoor Hands. This later one is available only via a website: www.outdoorhands.com
    My sister saw it & tried it at a home show & fell in love with it.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

For chapped hands/skin and minor abrasions: Bag Balm. I kid you not.

http://www.americarx.com/Products/16153.html
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    For chapped hands/skin and minor abrasions: Bag Balm. I kid you not.

http://www.americarx.com/Products/16153.html
    It is good but... I mixed a "burt's bees" (too pricey for my tastes in hand cream, really. I have priorities such as perfume.) I mixed a version of my own and it was a little too coconut-oil-based (melted too fast and did not have a waxy enough base) ... so half the container was mixed with a container of Bag Balm, and the consistency was great. Bag Balm is heavy on the lanolin, the coconut oil and beeswax (and rosemary, comfrey, and lavender) mellowed out the sheepiness.)

For less heavy-duty hand cream, anything shea-butter based seems to be very nice.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Can't imagine a better all-purpose moisturizing cream than this one:

And it's wonderfully UNscented, so no competition with one's SotD or SotE!

Good suggestion Haunani!
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

The price is on the high side but the best IMO is Santa Maria Novella Pasta di Mandorle.

Sometimes you can get it for a little less via eBay.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 5th March 2011 at 01:08 AM.

Basenotes Plus

The SMN mentioned by socalwoman is excellent. My sister bought it in NYC. She's a firefighter/paramedic, so she's washing her hands a lot.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Blog Entries

This stuff is great. It is $7 & not greasy. I use it all over; face, hands, feet, legs. Not just for (there is an overnight one) night-time.
    Last edited by kumquat; 13th March 2010 at 04:45 PM.

I concur with Haunani in using Cetaphil and Walgreens' less-expensive, generic version of it (right next to the Cetaphil cream on the shelves) is really good and comparable. Also like L'Occitane Shea Butter cream, but it's much pricier.
    Last edited by Lyndy Hop; 14th March 2010 at 09:44 AM.

Eva Pasco

I am keeping these suggestions in mind--for hands and feet.

Basenotes Institution

A bit pricey but a little goes a long way - Clarins Hand cream - it's truly wonderful.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I like Eucerin and also Avon's good ol' Moisture Therapy hand cream, in the tube and not the tub. (The version in the tub is not as emollient.)

I was fond of the L'Occitane shea butter hand creams for awhile (all smell wonderful!) but I've found they don't last worth a darn, especially for their price. They wear off quickly or rinse off with the slightest bit of water.

The Moisture Therapy lasts through a couple hand-washings.
    Last edited by NebraskaLovesScent; 16th March 2010 at 12:10 AM. Reason: edited to fix picture

Blog Entries

Gold Bond makes excellent hand creams and lotions. Moisturizing without being goopy, and definitely unisex.

Hillaire

I was a fan of both L'Occitane and Jurlique handcreams before they started cutting the US export line with glycerin (Yes, this is true, and while it has mild moisturizing properties, it's mostly an extender since it's dirt cheap and makes for a slippery feel when too excessive in amount.)
    Now I like cheapies:
    Yves Rocher Arnica handcream (a bargain!)
    or the ultimate bargain: Zimm's Crack Cream with arnica.

But my fave is really Sisley Botanical Handcreme.

Another vote for L'Occitane's Shea Butter hand cream, but also Eucerin Calming Cream. This will last an entire day and every through a hand-washing.

In honesty, it is necessary to apply after each washing to rstore skin oil.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

+1 Aveda Foot Relief. Takes care of dry cracking skin, fungus, makes your feet feel great. Since you use your hands to apply it, well I do :-), there's no need for hand cream.
    Also +1 for Sisley Paris skincare, but very expensive. If you want to pamper your mum, get her the Sisleya Global Anti-Age Hand Care. Or the Restorative Fluid Body Cream, which again will take care of her hands as well. Either tube will last at least 3 months.

-Some other guy's mom.
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, and today is a gift;
    that's why they call it the present."

I love Crabtree & Evelyns gardener's cream smells terrific

I found "Working Hands Cream" it goes on nice, smooth, not greasy, unscented, the Crabtree & Evelyn's is way overpriced now, the Aveeno is getting a bit much also.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world, the unreasonable man adapts the world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." "Shaw"

Quote Originally Posted by tonysoprano100 View Post
    I m planning a trip to San Fco or Chicago and I want a suggestion for a good hand cream for my mother.

I need some suggestions,

Thanks in advance,
    Hello, you probably made your trip already, but I just wanted to give you my suggestion for hand creams. I have tried so many different lotions and creams in the past. There are two that I absolutely love.
    I love the L'Occitane Lavender Hand Cream and the especially Bath and Body Works True Blue "Look Ma, New Hands". These are just lovely.

Basenotes Plus

Another vote for L'Occitane, I have Lavender and also Frangipani, both shea butter hand cream. Fresh also has Brown Sugar Hand Cream and Sugar Blossom Hand Treatment, both are good. Ahava Mineral Hand Cream is also recommended by people I know, but I haven't tried it yet myself, suppose to work wonders on dry hands.
    Let us share each precious moment and enjoy the ones we love for each day is a new beginning and a blessing from above.

Crabtree & Evelyn - lemon & coriander. Not greasy and smells divine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    A bit pricey but a little goes a long way - Clarins Hand cream - it's truly wonderful.
    I secound this one! It is really good! Have you tried Clarins footcreme, as well? Sometimes, when I am really dry on my hands, I treat them with Clarins footcreme.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

I have a friend who swears by Hemp Hand Protector by The Body Shop, and she's converted some people to using it too. I've tried a bit and I have to say, it's some extremely effective stuff! Very emollient, and a little goes a long way. http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/men-p...protector.aspx However, if style and presentation is a concern for this gift, the packaging isn't as girly or frilly as it could be.

The best I've ever tried.
    Mirror mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

I don't know about the avilability in the US but I can give you some general advice regarding the ingredients. I have issues with my skin as long as I can remember and used homemade cream for many years. By now the industrial stuff has improved considerably and it works well most of the time.

There are some ingredients that are really good like shea butter, cocoa butter, mango butter, lanolin and natural oils like jojoba, avocado, almond, olive, hemp or argan oil. Urea might help if you have dry skin. Calendula as well.
    Stay away from mineral oils. The skin get's even drier if you apply mineral oils.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Ingredients
    Udderly Smooth® Udder Cream contains:

Deionized water, stearic acid, Peg-2 Stearate, propylene glycol, isopropyl myristate, dimethicone, lanolin oil, mineral oil, triethanolamine, allantoin, methylparaben, propylparaben, fragrance
    Last edited by kbe; 30th March 2013 at 05:36 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

My mom likes Chanel Coco and Miss Dior lotions for her hands. Creed body lotion makes my hands look luminous.
    Bath and Body works is excellent, too. I like the Paris scents.

Some others that might help:

Check out Aesops resurrection hand balm.......all the ingredients are listed. It was supposedly made for a friend of the founder Dennis Phaphitis who was a clay artist in a cold part of Australia.

Edit: you can check out reviews at make up alley for Resurrection.

Spiezia makes a hand balm that is 100% organic and incredibly rich.

The organic pharmacy has a marigold hand cream that is also very good as does Temple Spa (Palm balm).
    Last edited by Sea Roses; 4th April 2013 at 11:39 PM.
    When we come to the other world and meet the millions of Jews who died in the camps and they ask *what have you done for us*.......I will say * I did not forget you*. Simon Wiesenthal

I like Trilipiderm. They have their own site online and can be found on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    + 1

I was going to recommend Clarins's handcream it also works on your nails, it's rather nice. The L'occitane shea butter hand cream is my backup.
    Last edited by L'enfer; 27th April 2013 at 07:13 PM.
    What I've Been Wearing:

Clarins's hand cream is about nothing for me.

Loccitane is good and BS Hemp helps during winter months and at night.
    Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future. O.Wilde

I like hand creams that include glycerin because it attracts moisture from the air. Also, something with hyalurinic acid is good, too.

On my hands I use pure 100% shea butter I buy it online at a german pharmacy www.versandapo.de/
    a jar lasts me 8 months.