Code of Conduct

Default Shalimar EDT. Where's the love?

I've always passed over the edt because everyone said it was sub-par. But I just grabbed an inexpensive old edt gift set and holy smoke, batman...it's LOVELY.

Certainly not as smooth as the edp, but its char, tar and smokiness are such a nice change from my modern edps over-sweet vanilla dry-down. I actually think the opening top-notes of the EDT are much more similar to the original extrait's tar and burn compared to the edp's bergamot zing.

What do you all think? Does anyone else like the edt too?

Also, when did Guerlain release the Shalimar edt? I thought I was grabbing a vintage bottle, but then I recalled they used to make pdt-strength and only introduced the edt later. But when?

oop, eta: I wanted to say, the edt seems very masculine-friendly to me! Boys should wear this! And. I like dabbing a little vintage Cabochard parfum on the drydown. It creates this lovely smoky-incense-vanilla-leather. mmmmm.
    Last edited by latelittlesleeper; 12th March 2010 at 10:48 PM.

Default Re: Shalimar EDT. Where's the love?

Shalimar EdT was launched with the extrait in 1925. The EdC in 1937 and the PdT in 1986. Vintage Shalimar, in all concentrations, was more resinous-woody, darker and less sweet than today's version. I love the EdT for its more transparent way to the dry wood. The EdC is even more transparent.

Eva Pasco

I always found Shalimar EDT too fleeting on my skin minutes after applying.

I had the cologne back in the 80's a gift. Kept having to drown myself in it, but I just loved Shalimar anyway.
    I have always gone for the edp as I love the depth of play doe in the Guerlainade in Shalimar, that vanilla heliotrope mix.

My edps are 1995 and 1997, maturing nicely as time passes I am very pleased to say. Totally refuse to go near the newer version brought out in the 00s with the smooth bottle. Someone should be dismembered slowly for that they did to Shalimar.
    DONNA

Banned

The EdP is the best; agreed.
    The EdT isn't bad at all, but once you've had the EdP, you will end up using it exclusively.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Madame du Barry View Post
    The EdP is the best; agreed.
    The EdT isn't bad at all, but once you've had the EdP, you will end up using it exclusively.
    I have to agree with this. Put it this way, if there were no other Shalimar available I will readily use the current EDT .However, I rather the other concentrations.
    I received a beautiful bottle of vintage EDC from a friend - the tall ribbed bottle - fabulous juice - much better and deeper than the current EDT.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I find the EdT better than the EdP. Perhaps we have the same type of skin, latelittlesleeper? EdP becomes too smoky on my skin, but EdT is a pure enjoy to wear.
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

madame du Barry: I guess I've realized that vintage ANYTHING with Shalimar is better than Shalimar now. So my edt is vintage and my edp is current and I have to say, I much prefer the vintage edt to my edp. It's smokier, edging into masculine and richly baritone. My current edp is a bit shallow, a puff of sweet incense and then all powdery vanilla.

Of course neither compares to the vintage extrait.

Mr. G, thank you! I think my edt must be vintage after all, or at least pre-90s. It's much smokier and deeper than the current edp of Shalimar, at least. I had no idea that Shalimar had such a contralto. I never understood why people think Shalimar is a bombshell perfume until now.

Some boys do use it, myself included. I feel like i'm wearing ladies underwear or something when I do! (don't read too much into that).
    It's one of the few I think really is "just for females" but I try to push the bounds of my comfort level with this one.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I have Shalimar EDT and PDT. I wear them from time to time, with the EDT wearing a better in the day. But I still find the drydown a little tooth-achingly sweet for my taste. Shalimar Eau de Legere is another fine version if you can find it.

I have and use all concentrations: edc, edt, pdt/edp and parfum. They're all great in their own way, and I have a hard time picking one as a favourite, but if I really had to I would say vintage parfum.

Banned

Talking Re: Shalimar EDT. Where's the love?

Quote Originally Posted by latelittlesleeper View Post
    madame du Barry: I guess I've realized that vintage ANYTHING with Shalimar is better than Shalimar now. So my edt is vintage and my edp is current and I have to say, I much prefer the vintage edt to my edp. It's smokier, edging into masculine and richly baritone. My current edp is a bit shallow, a puff of sweet incense and then all powdery vanilla.

Of course neither compares to the vintage extrait.
    Now that certainly changes things; it's vintage! And I am not at all jealous.
    Where can I get it?

Didn't like the edt at all..it was fleeting and not smooth at all..I love the edp and would love to try the pure perfume. Anyway, I 'm with those who say that if it's vintage, I certainly do believe it's better than any edp!

Basenotes Institution

Vintage EDT is very good- it's the current EDT I don't care for much .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I have just received EdP vintage (yellow juice), very good smell, much better than current version.

I must confess that I love the recent extrait. I thought it was too sweet initially, but now that I've gotten used to it I love it. It still has plenty of that Jacques Guerlain subversion going on so that things don't get too pretty.

Vintage edc is my favorite concentration, less powder puff and more wood than edp on me, but I do like the edt for it's smokey incense.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

The old Shalimar cologne was THE best...a very refined Jicky. The newer versions of Shalimar are sweeter, smokier and missing some of those citrus "high notes". If you can get your hands on vintage body cream, you are in luck (and in heaven). It most closely resembles the old Shalimar, to my nose anyway! In spite of all of the incarnations and reincarnations, Shalimar remains a favorite. Guerlain EDT contains more of the soaring top notes; Guerlain EDP captures more of the warm drydown. Guerlain EDT, in general, does not last on my skin so I buy Guerlain EDP. Of course, pure parfum is wonderful but expensive. Being a Shalimar junkie, I use ALL of the above. Too much of a good thing is...wonderful.

I intensely disliked the EDT, the dissonance reminded me of disposable diapers.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Banned

today i tried vintage EDT, at least so we think the bottle is 15ml with black cap on it came from USA, ebay ofcourse, and the girl who showed it told me its somewhere from the 80s because those small bottles existed only then, ok i did not want to believe,

so i smelled my bloter few hours later, and it smelled like some masculine woddy incense dry perfume, of medium strength, but this incense and woody feel was very distinctable, so it was like darker, and i thoguht it reminded me of something, and then it dawned its shalimar(i did not know i ve tested it on the blotter too, was looking for something else in my bag),
    i sold my new shalimar EDP bottle like 20 days ago and used up only like 10 ml i hated its synthetic smell of hay...

now reading your reviews of vintage EDT it looks like i really did try vintage version??
    can someone say something to this pls , i was sceptic becasue opening citrus notes were very high, and fresh(wouldnt they spoil a bit? after 25 years?) and i thought the colour of the juice should be darker then its yellow light,
    it does become more sweet on the skin thought....after lets say 30 minutes....
    is it possible they put in fresh juices in old bottles? but the item sold for cheap price, nothing expencive...
    must say i liked it...just dont want it to be placebo i was so emotional that i can finally smell the vintage version and so soon, just few months of waiting and thought i will never have the opportunity

- - - Updated - - -

the bottle looks like this
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-GUER...item337ce9d0f6

but its just 0.5 oz and its on spray not stopper, and says EAU DE TOILETTE , not parfum de toilette....

many thanks!!!

As some of you have noted, I collect and use all versions of Shalimar, and all vintages. I have too much to ever use. Maybe. I may have to be embalmed in it when I die.... Eek. No clue where that morbid thought came from. I know. It is the spooky month of October. It brings out the vamp in me.

I have both a very old edt and a newer versions. I LOVE the older versions, but also wear the newer. My vintage extrait is like liquid gold, but the newer versions still get some daily wear. EdT is one of my favorites all around.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like the vintage edt--dark and resinous-- (60s-80s) and vintage cologne--light but substantial-- better than any other concentration! Maybe it's the aging but the fact that the lighter concentrations allow a very heavy fragrance to be more sheer yet the vintage ingredients bring out the darkness, I really go for that-- dark and sheer, heavy but carved out. For current? All of it is pretty good! The citrus being fresher makes modern Shalimar special in its own right. Is it actually possible to screw up Shalimar? Hope not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaLee View Post
    As some of you have noted, I collect and use all versions of Shalimar, and all vintages. I have too much to ever use. Maybe. I may have to be embalmed in it when I die.... Eek. No clue where that morbid thought came from. I know. It is the spooky month of October. It brings out the vamp in me.

I have both a very old edt and a newer versions. I LOVE the older versions, but also wear the newer. My vintage extrait is like liquid gold, but the newer versions still get some daily wear. EdT is one of my favorites all around.
    can you compare the old and new EDT?

i went to the store today and tried the new again, the opening is blast of bergamot, while in the vintage EDT its more lemon like, until i did not try this vintage version(now i am almost sure its vintage)....i basicly did not get any of the lemon pie people used to talk about, i can inhale the vintage while the new one is so sharp, it bites my nose, and feels very chemical, vintage is so much more balanced its sweet vanilla, and beautiful lemon, and dark woody incenseous note, while in the new one i could not get that at all it just annoyed me for its sharpness and ghostlike nature i could not smell any of the vanilla becasue those sharp citrusy notes were constantly upfront!
    the only thing is vintage has no sillage, its so close to the skin its delicate, but its joy for my soul i thought i will never be able to smell it

Excellent thread!
    I agree with some of the other posts here: I have the vintage EDT and the new EDT and the difference is astonishing. The incense note has been dampened along with the leather/animalic component. In addition, reformulation has that powdery baby wipes vibe; another giant step away from badassery. Also, the reformulation kept the delicious crème brulee, but the tenacity is inferior. I’ve tried the new EDP and although I enjoy the fragrance, the vintage EDT is my favorite.
    If you love incense it’s all about vintage EDT!