Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you mind if a scent is linear?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 3.81%
  • No

53 50.48%
  • Depends on the fragrance

48 45.71%

Default Do you mind if a scent is linear?

Be sure to give examples. I'm really enjoying Bois d'Argent, but find it incredibly linear, so much so that it may get irritating after a while. That's really the only thing holding me back from getting it at this point.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 2nd March 2010 at 09:31 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Default Re: Do you mind if a scent is linear?

Absolutely not. I love Gatsby, Original Aoud, and Alamo - all linear.

I'm okay with linear only on two counts:

If the fragrance creates a really stunning, naturalistic accord. En Passant does this, transporting me to lilacs at dawn just perfectly.

If it's complex and multi-faceted in itself. Vintage Poison is much like that.

I have the impression that "linear" usually refers to lack of development in time. But to me it seems that there exists also a property of "stationary linearity" that a fragrance can have, which causes you to always perceive the odor in the same way ("oh yes, that's exactly what Hugo Boss Control Freak smells like").

Fragrances without the "stationary linearity" property can show you different facets from moment to moment: first leathery, then mossy, then spicy, etc. and back to leathery just depending on how the scent hits your nose and in what concentration. Is there a standard term for this?

I don't mind a lack of development in time, but it seems like it's always to a fragrance's advantage to have that certain shimmer or sparkle in the moment.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 2nd March 2010 at 09:48 PM.

It all depends on the fragrance.

No not at all. For instance if I want to wear a sandalwood fragrance that is not cluttered with notes that interfere with the sandalwood note I will wear Sandalo by Etro which to my nose is a linear sandalwood fragrance. Vetiver same thing something like SMN's offering. Lavender I will wear Lavanda Tonica, by AdP, and on, and on.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Nope. Consider the Paris Cigar series. Linear for the most part and still a good wear
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Terre d'Hermes - dry mediterranean soil and oranges. Linear, but just love it. Can't wait to own it.

Not at all.
    Eau Noire does not shift so much on me, and I enjoy a handful of others are great linear scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Not at all.
    Eau Noire does not shift so much on me, and I enjoy a handful of others are great linear scents.
    Of all four of the Dior Colognes, I actually find Eau Noire to be the most complex. It starts out as an all-out spice and lavender fest, but it shades layer after layer ending in that wonderfully sweet base.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

To use the Tom Ford line for example:
    If it is completely linear and heavy, like say Tobacco Vanille, it can get very tedious for me. On the other hand, something refreshing like Neroli Portofino, which is also quite linear, becomes a constant source of refreshment for me.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 3rd March 2010 at 03:47 AM.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    If it is completely linear and heavy, like say Tobacco Vanille, it can get very tedious for me. On the other hand, something refreshing like Neroli Portofino, which is also quite linear, becomes a constant source of refreshment for me.
    Good point, and I agree. Guess I'm not the only one who finds TF TV linear...and a little tedious.

Dependent

Totally depends on the scent.

A number of vanilla-centric scents are linear to "my nose" and that is exactly why I enjoy them. Vanilia, Spiritueuse Double Vanille, Un Bois Vanille are a some that I use quite regularly and find to be linear, personally. I'd rather be getting whiffs of their presentation of vanilla, than have them fade or evolve into something else (of mediocrity).

Bois de Cedrat is completely linear and I don't care, great citrus.
    Nearly all Bay Rum scents sin on the linear side.
    As do many leathers,
    Allright, Kolnisch Juchten is not quite as linear as BdC but it's still a great leather.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

It definitely depends on the fragrance or even the single note (like in an essential oil). Some fragrances, by their very nature, are trite and boring (or maybe even cloying) compared to others which can be utterly stunning. I've recently taken an interest in essential oils like oud, sandalwood, jasmine sambac, tuberose, and rose otto. It all comes down to the quality and concentration of the original ingredients used in the fragrance.
    Last edited by Delmar; 3rd March 2010 at 04:54 AM.

I like linear fragrances as long as they are good linear fragrances. Its always better to smell something that smells good from start to end, than something that starts bad and develops into good drydown or vice versa.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

No. If the frag has all i am looking for in it, then i actually prefer linear. Thats one reason i love Tom Ford Private Blend frags.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Many Montale scents are linear. And I love Montale. But, it is quite funny when people wear linear scents. They smell all the same :P

Not at all - in fact if a perfume smells great in the first minute, I wish they could make it so that minute lasts for the next 10 hours!

I'm always impressed everytime I smell L'instant Magic when I first spray it - it's not my #1 perfume, but even of all my 5 favorites, L'instant Magic is the only perfume I wish could be linear all the way.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I must add Pi as well, linear warm scent. Woody benzoin giving this strong, warm vanilla aura that you just have to love.

I DO mind a perfume being too linear - it can be like listening to a great pop song that you grow tired of after twenty repetitions. I like perfumes with a very long, slow and adventurous evaporation curve, provided that each phase is equally magnificent. My personal textbook example is Guerlain's Chamade. Its evaporation curve is extraordinary long and slow and I have never been able to determine what smells the best, the crispy-green top or the suave gourmand base. Or the middle, for that matter, where the two endpoints meet in a yellow charmer. That sort of perfume can keep me engaged for years and years, like listening to one of those great classical records where you just can't get tired of waiting for the part where the piano comes in after a fifteen minutes orchestra intro.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Nope! Take Dune pour Homme,
    that dosn't change much, still
    it's a good frag ... love it!

PawelL

Absolutely not. As long as it's gorgeous.

Not at all. I just have to like the fragrance notes.

Tom Ford does a lot of fragrances that are quite linear.
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather- I love them

Nope. Not on principal at least.

Égoïste for example does not change much on my skin, but then, it is so gorgeous that I would not want it to.

Some notes are so stunning by themselves, that they don't need much evolution on my skin- I can only think of some wonderfully puristic old-school citrus frags right now.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 13th March 2010 at 08:56 PM.

Depends

First ones that came to mind were TFTV and Pi, which you guys have mentioned already!
    My short answer is no, but sometimes depends. I'm ok with these two and appreciate their linearity, I don't have to overthink them when I wear them.
    NEW SPLITS - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven and Beyond Love (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Generally - yes, I mind. Especially not a fan of many modern fragrances that are one-note, chemical-blast fresh. I voted "depends," though, because several of my favorites are one-note, but it's a mighty fine note. Citrus fragrances have a tendency to be in this category. One-note yes: Creed Citrus Bigarrade. It's all about the very fine, initial citrus blast; negligible middle and drydown. One-note no: Calvin Klein Truth. Astringent chemical train wreck from start to finish.

I voted "No"...though I am specious about it...If it's a line of a preferred choice...Say, Demeter's range. Then I'm all for it...It depends what I'm fond Of...Ie; I love Patchoulli, Therefor I look for a well made patchoulli fragrance. All about the selection man...the selection!! :P

xox - Balava -
    - I Want To Appreciate You With My Eyes Closed-

- Anonymous

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Chanel Antaeus Equipped With A Double Whipping Of A Black Leather Jacket

I feel that many Citrus Scents are Linear.....And I am fine with this.....Gary

A great linear and a great evolving frag are both great - just in different ways.
    If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart? -Alexander Solzhenitsyn, novelist, Nobel laureate

Wanting to try:

Fougère Bengale, Cafe Noir

Wanting to buy:

Yohji Homme EDT

Hah -- I want to pose a very basic question. It seems to me that "linear" SHOULD MEAN a scent reveals a + b + c ... and so forth. That is a linear development.
    But it seems that "linear" is usually used as an equivalent to what is a solifore scent, a one-note exposition.
    Or else it refers to a scent which displays all its cards simultaneously, like a firework exploding in the night sky. BOOM.
    A scent could be any of these things, and be enjoyable.

To me, a non-linear scent is one in which the elements have interplay, are in dialogue with each other and the transitions are complex, not straight-forward. There could be back-and-forth. Early elements could reappear later, enhanced by others. Obviously that would be a complex and intriguing sort of scent.

Thoughts on this attempt to define nomenclature?
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Eleanore

No, I don't like linear scents. They're usual unimaginative and boring. However--having said this; I do so adore EN PASSANT.

In actuality, I wish more scents that I adore were linear, although I appreciate the artistry involved in an evolving perfume.

A handful of basenotes favorites from the Profumum line (Thundra, Fumidus) are amazing to my nose for about 5 minutes, and then they develop into far more pedestrian middle and final stages. I'd EASILY splash out for either if that first impression were to last for more than 30 minutes, tops, on me.

I suppose that what gets me hooked usually is that first impression of a scent, and more often than not, it keeps me coming back until I need to own it, and after that, where I need to open my perfume cabinet to "get a fix"