Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Gold - changing my tune

My first try of Amouage Gold last Oct turned me off and I tossed the sample in the drawer. Now 5 months later, I try it again .... and am surprised to find it quite pleasant. It's pretty potent though and I can easily see a scent-infused headache if you overdo it with more than 1 or 2 sprays. I noticed others have had the same reaction of having to warm up to it. Perhaps it's like fine wine in that you have to acquire a taste for it?

More importantly, what kind of reaction, if any, do you get from others when you wear Amouage Gold?

Default Re: Amouage Gold - changing my tune

I have a bottle and wear it once or twice a month. Surprisingly, I have never gotten a comment on it. But I rarely get comments on any of the perfumes I wear.

Just got samples of Epic, Lyric, Reflections and Jubilation XXV and I found myself thinking the same thing. These are scents I'll have to re-visit a few times before I really "get them". (which is a good thing in my mind) There's a medicinal note I found, particularly in Epic, that's a little bit uncomfortable.. makes me think of gauze or bandages or something..

This one was to bold and over the top for me to appreciate.

For some odd reason it really reminded me of Vintage Tabarome
    very classy scent with monster presence!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I was told I smell like I sweated a lot and then doused talcum powder on top, to soak the sweat up. I liked Amouage Gold too, especially the lovely aldehyde laden opening

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    Just got samples of Epic, Lyric, Reflections and Jubilation XXV and I found myself thinking the same thing. These are scents I'll have to re-visit a few times before I really "get them". (which is a good thing in my mind) There's a medicinal note I found, particularly in Epic, that's a little bit uncomfortable.. makes me think of gauze or bandages or something..
    If I am not mistaken, that would be the Civet Musk note that you are referring to. Extremely enduring because of it and extremely long lasting ...

From what I understand, pure civet musk is used in Epic.

Quote Originally Posted by acer3 View Post

From what I understand, pure civet musk is used in Epic.

Where you get that from? Castoreum ist listed, not Civet. But you may be right. Quite animalic that stuff!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fable View Post
    ...There's a medicinal note I found, particularly in Epic, that's a little bit uncomfortable.. makes me think of gauze or bandages or something..
    I get the same "feel" from the oud/frankincense accords.

@ ItalianStallion, welcome to the Gold Men Appreciation League I have had a lot of compliments on Gold. Although my daughter still insist on calling it Baby Powder perfume.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I love Gold. Pure genius.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I get the same "feel" from the oud/frankincense accords..
    initially I thought it was the oud too but it seemed to be something more than that and was different than my experience with say montales Black Aoud (which has a medicinal note I love). I checked out the description for castoreum in Asha's single note exploration board.. definitely seems to fit the bill of what I was picking up

thanks for the tips guys!

Amouage Gold is, while not my personal favorite scent, quite possible the finest composition and highest quality scent I have ever smelled.

I do enjoy it every now and again. It's just hard to find an occasion to wear it.

I doubt I'd ever pick up a bottle as my 2ml sample should last a year or so with my one spray application combined with the fact that I wear this once only every month or two.

An amazing scent though. Those who have only tried the old formula and disliked it should really check out the new formula.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I have a bottle of Amouage Gold man. I am not sure if I like it or not.
    However I prefer the original Amouage Gold man sample which is Edt - its less powdery than Amouage gold man Edp
    Last edited by DreamerII; 15th March 2010 at 09:37 AM.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's just hard to find an occasion to wear it.
    I agree with you.
    I have a 50ml older style bottle and the new 100ml bottle of Amouage Gold and I can't even remember the last time I wore this.
    It is such a loud floral that you have to wait for the right conditions to wear it.
    Yes, spraying frugally could be an option & in this case it might just be a necessity.

I'm curious about Gold. I end up liking most polarizing scents (especially ones with civet), even though they rarely get a wear. I ought to end up a fan of this one.

Is it similar at all to Kouros (with extra powder)? When I read that it's a loud floral with incense and civet, that's what I think of.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 16th March 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Gold is totally diffirent if compared with Kouros

I don't have a chance to test the old Gold. But I do love the new Gold.

When I first tried Gold. I found this one quite feminin, too floral, and classic. But after a few full wears ( 4sprays each time ), I fall for Gold deeper and deeper. The first 20 minutes openning notes likely make you feel like... an old lady. Too much floral, too loud. But soon after that, Gold calms down, the frankincense appears more clearly. Gold starts showing you its luxury, masculin, smoothness, richness, deepness. Gold is very very seductive. After about 40minutes, Gold seems stay so close on your skin... But then, suddenly, Gold grows up so strong ( but not so loud ). Gold is around you. Still that smoothness, richness, deepness... So long, so beautiful... And you realize that you've never tried any Gold scents which is that special and wonderful like Amouage Gold.

I myself don't think Gold is too hard to wear And people around me really like it when I'm wearing Gold.
    Last edited by chocolateguy; 16th March 2010 at 02:23 PM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    ....Is it similar at all to Kouros (with extra powder)? When I read that it's a loud floral with incense and civet, that's what I think of.
    Believe it or not, Amouage Gold is Royal Copenhagen Cologne minus Civet, with volume turned down way way low, and much cheaper in every way. They both have the pronounced Johnson's (TM) baby-powder. I have and wear the two quite often and i am still amazed at their similarity.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!