Code of Conduct

Question shoes for navy suit or charcoal gray suit

Hello,
    I have always worn black shoes with my navy and gray suits. I read an article suggesting a burgandy shoe is better. I'd like to hear others' thoughts on this. My favorite watch has a black band, so if I change shoes, presumably I'd have to get a different watch band too, not to mention my belt. It gets complicated easily! Looking forward to your ideas.

Default Re: shoes for navy suit or charcoal gray suit

I think brown shoes look really sharp with a charcoal gray suit. You'll want to match your belt with the shoes. Check out this recent thread over on the Style Forum: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=166367

I can't help with the watch color, though matching does seem logical. Spend some time on Style Forum, it's an excellent community where I'm sure you'll find an answer.

Picture from the thread linked to above:

Shoes, belt, watchband, bag, etc. don't have to match necessarily. It's fine if they do and just as good if they don't, depending on who you ask. Too much matching can sometimes give a neurotic impression, rather than just look well put together.

IMO.

Oh, and yes: brownish shoes look great with navy/charcoal!

All of these are good ideas. I think black works as well.

I dont know if there's an official "rule", but I will wear black watch bands with brown belt/shoes all the time. I think if you end up with matching shoes, belt, watch band, briefcase, etc. it starts to look a little over the top. People won't notice if the accessories in question are all black, but when all brown, it makes you look obsessive compulsive or something.

I think burgundy shoes do look good with navy and charcoal suits. I wear 'em. Some browns, too.

Burgundy or ox-blood shoes are a great alternative if one is wearing navy or charcoal suits.
    I like the look of brown brogues with a glencheck or lightly-patterned grey suit. Veddy classy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I agree with OdyM that dark burgundy/oxblood or very dark brown would work, but a light brown shoe, IMHO, would look odd.

OTOH, if you feel inclined, try to punch up your suit with one special detail that is striking: unique shoes, pocket square, tie or cufflinks. (It also depends on how conservative your work environment, as well.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I actually like my pair of rich mid-brown brogue (wingtips) shoes with my navy suit.

There are supposedly rules that match belts and shoes, but there are times when I consciously chose to disregard that.

I also have heard that when it comes to watches, it's not really the band but the face that you match. Eg steel/silver cufflinks with steel-faced watch; gold cufflinks go with a gold-tone watch. But even then, I disregard that and go with what I feel like on the day.

The rules of style are there to guide beginners, but as we all know, no one ever becomes great in any field of endeavor by following all the rules.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post

There are supposedly rules that match belts and shoes, but there are times when I consciously chose to disregard that.
    I always thought that this was one rule that one should never break.

The burgandy/cordovan color is a very conservative take on what to wear with a blue suit. I have had east coasties tell that it is the ONLY color that should be worn with blue suit. But here in Los Angeles, black shoes are almost always worn with blue suits.

Either are proper in my view. If you're older or more conservative or east coast, the burgandy/cordovan color is your best bet.

Either black or burgandy/cordovan works with gray.

Brown shoes with blue a bit more controversial. Some find it to be more "informal" even with a suit. There's some sort of snappy saying..."Brown but never in town" or some such. I haven't played much with brown shoes and gray suits, but it can be a sharp look too as seen above. But the thing with brown shoes is there is a pretty wide variety of "browns." Much more variation than with cordovan or black. Some brown shoes are lighter than others. Some are burnished looking. Some lean more red, or more tan.

And by the way, I wouldn't focus on the watch band. Your watch is your watch. If it's a nice watch, you don't typically need to match it to shoes, belts, etc.

But I would match shoes/belt myself.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 24th March 2010 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I always thought that this was one rule that one should never break.
    My earlier post was on the conservative side. As a sartorial maverick myself, if you feel inclined, break those rules with impunity!

People who buck the status quo of fashion conservatism become tomorrow's fashion trendsetters.

Always let the suit be correct for the occasion, and be aware of which trends you are bucking. Some social and business environments don't take too kindly to "experimental" dressing decisions...
    Last edited by Primrose; 24th March 2010 at 09:13 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I occasionally break The Rules consciously. Having said that, even when I break the rules, I know my female friends will still say I still look more dapper than even most of the regular suit-wearers around me.

Style is not about following the rules. When I was a beginner in learning how to look dapper, I followed all the rules. But now I've gone past that stage to know that certain rules can be broken as long as I can still maintain a coherent "look" for what I wish to project.

Back to the original subject: I feel that the shoes that go with a navy suit is basically something that does not clash and matches it in "saturation." If it's a very dark navy, then the shoe should be a darker shade of brown/black/burgundy. If it's a brighter shade of navy, you could go choose a more vivid shade.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Back to the original subject: I feel that the shoes that go with a navy suit is basically something that does not clash and matches it in "saturation." If it's a very dark navy, then the shoe should be a darker shade of brown/black/burgundy. If it's a brighter shade of navy, you could go choose a more vivid shade.
    An excellent point often overlooked by novices.

Btw I find that a belt is not always necessary, esp with flatfronts or a 3-piece. No worries over matching belt/shoes then...

I occasionally break The Rules consciously. Having said that, even when I break the rules, I know my female friends will still say I still look more dapper than even most of the regular suit-wearers around me.

Style is not about following the rules. When I was a beginner in learning how to look dapper, I followed all the rules. But now I've gone past that stage to know that certain rules can be broken as long as I can still maintain a coherent "look" for what I wish to project.

very well put...
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk