Code of Conduct

Default The Depressing Realisation That One Day a Favourite Will Disappear...

I was thnking about this this morning.

My beloved bottle of Helmut Lang EDC is not as full as it once was. I could never imagine a time when I didn't have it in my fragrance wardrobe, yet, as it's becoming increasingly difficult to source (and when I do, it's ridiculously expensive) I am facing the reality that one day I won't have any.

And that sucks.

What's other people's experience been like with favourite fragrances on the verge of extinction?
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Default Re: The Depressing Realisation That One Day a Favourite Will Disappear...

1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance

Looks like you are between stages 4 & 5

I have a couple of frags that are next to imposible to replace now. I've been through stage 3, which with objects seems to mean 'scouring ebay in the vain hope of finding half a bottle, only to have it fall out of it's woefully inadequate packaging somewhere over the ocean'. This makes me very stage 4.

Default Re: The Depressing Realisation That One Day a Favourite Will Disappear...

I get backups, but some things are hard to find, and they get harder and harder to find as time passes. I've pretty much accepted that fact that I will run out of one or several favourites eventually. It's too bad, but I doubt that perfumery as an art will die out anytime soon, despite IFRA and anti-fragrance movements. I'm convinced there will be viable alternatives in the future, as sad as it may be to see old loves disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by petra ichor View Post
    1. Denial
    2. Anger
    3. Bargaining
    4. Depression
    5. Acceptance
    +1

I recently purchased Helmut Lang EDC at a reasonable price. I find myself using it frequently and share your anxiety of losing it forever. I plan to buy a backup or two before prices hit Curion territory.

I felt this way about 3 scents:

Creed Windsor
    Maitre Santal Noble vintage
    Maitre Pour Le Jeune Homme vintage

I was very upset that Windsor was so expensive, and that it was a very limited release while sublime vanille was a permanent edition. With both Maitre Parfumeur scents, it took me a while to find sampling vials that were 100% certainly from vintage and reformulated sources, I was mad when for over a year I hadn't had any luck with retailers advertising 90ml bottles, only to get my package and open up to find a 100ml reformulation. I finally found 2 older bottles of Santal Noble, and that should last me. But i have yet to source a 90ml of Pour Le jeune Homme, which IMO is the greatest Neroli scent ever. Thankfully, I stocked up on enough Windsor too, although with how heavy i wear it, 1,000ml may not be enough for my young life.

Other scents in danger of extinction which i was never upset about, as they were plentiful and inexpensive even after being discontinued:
    Bowling Green
    Guerlain Vetiver Sport
    Bombay Sapphire Infusion
    1997 Hermes eau d'Orange Verte

Other scent which I stocked up on anyway when I found them, without knowing full well if they were long-term keepers for me or not, but knowing they are very good scents that would resell easy if i chose not to keep:
    Mugler Pure Coffee
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Creed Bois De Santal

It's just a fragrance fact of life in most cases.

Yeah, I accepted it years ago when Aramis Havana went the way of the frag graveyard (that's still the case here too - no Gentlemen's Collection release for Havana in the UK, though I was lucky enough to recently score a vintage bottle off the 'Bay for a reasonable price) and Crabtree & Evelyn East Indian Limes (the current West Indian Limes, whilst nice in its own right, isn't quite up there and is a completely different frag).

Ones that I'm watching the clock on now:
    Ungaro 2 (pretty much gone - at the "big bucks on the 'Bay" stage)
    Ungaro 3 (both current and vintage versions, harder and harder to find, though deals still pop up)
    Zino Davidoff (the trigger for this one was pulled the other day when Davidoff announced that they're clearing most of their back catalogue)
    Bowling Green, as already mentioned (seems to be creeping up in price, suggesting stock running out?)
    Body Shop Of A Man (gone from the main BS stores, now only available in fewer numbers in outlets)
    Pecksniff's Fern (IMO one of the greatest fern frags of all time, already officially replaced by the massively inferior Fougere, seems only the Fern shaving cream and AS balm are relatively easy to get)

Ones that I'm expecting to go in the relatively near future (based on nothing more than assumption, markets and paranoia):
    One or both of Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna and/or Nomad (both have seen big dents thanks to the new C&E Uncharted line)
    Pen's Opus 1870 (far too many criticisms of late of its pepper note being too similar to Blenheim Bouquet - Opus is the more obvious one of the two to can)
    Aramis Cool Blend (touted as a very limited edition, depending on where you look and who you ask)
    Hugo Energise (an amazing flanker and the best HB frag for years - they'll probably do away with it and decide to keep the not-all-that Element just to annoy me)

It's never worth getting too disheartened though - there are always frags to take their places.

People you love will disappear also. This realization helps you appreciate your time with them even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    People you love will disappear also. This realization helps you appreciate your time with them even more.
    True - but you can't buy back up people the same as the one you lose, lol.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    True - but you can't buy back up people the same as the one you lose, lol.
    You know how storing frags in mini-fridges make them last longer? Doesn't work with people. Don't find out the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by galamb_borong View Post
    you know how storing frags in mini-fridges make them last longer? Doesn't work with people. Don't find out the hard way.
    rofl...

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I still cry myself to sleep sometimes,
    because Givenchy choose to cancel
    the three divine unisex 'Oblique' frags!
    They are still avalible at various online-shops
    at extreme prices, compared to what they
    were when in regular shops.
    Someday they'll disappear alltogether ..

Why, dear God, whyyyy?!
    Last edited by Le Grand Duc; 14th March 2010 at 08:42 PM.

I feel the same way about certain things sometimes

Just appreciate it now while you can and enjoy the most out of it

If Zino disappears, I will be sad but not depressed. It's only a material object, hardly life and death stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    You know how storing frags in mini-fridges make them last longer? Doesn't work with people. Don't find out the hard way.
    Haha.. maybe you just need a bigger fridge?

There is always a remedy for that: stock up as much backup bottles, as you can still find

Agh great
    another must try on my list
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I break out in a song & dance to.....

Last edited by nsamadi; 14th March 2010 at 09:43 PM.

I plan to always have a back-up bottle of my Top 5 favorites. If it's discontinued for good, I might decant a bit of it into a small spray bottle and open it to smell it from the bottle from time to time...
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

Only possible way to get over it: promiscuity. Go out and try a bunch of new stuff.

Always works for me. . .

My biggest fears are not disappearances, but reformulations that gut the substance of a fragrance, while keeping the name intact.

The most cruel form of disappearance that I can imagine.

Kouros Fraicheur. The only Kouros flanker I actually like. I have a full bottle, and one back up. But it's becoming difficult to find.

I would rather my favorite fragrance disappear than me.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Basenotes Plus

Oh dear, that's how I got on basenotes in the first place- last summer when I realized I had 1/4 inch of my ultimate scent left in the bottle:

1st step: Panic
    2nd step:Obsessive focus on this "Problem"
    3rd step: Begin worldwide search for replacement bottle culminating in paying complete stranger in another country an absurd amount of money to obtain said replacement bottle.
    4th step: Channel my inner Scarlett O'Hara (holding atomizer instead of spud towards the heavens) and declare, "As God is my witness, I will never be scentless again!"
    5th step- Start sniffing and acquiring many new favorites.

Which is where I'm at now- and loving it!

Why mourn over a dead corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Picasso View Post
    Why mourn over a dead corpse.
    Because it's more fun than running from an alive corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Because it's more fun than running from an alive corpse.
    You Devil Galamb!

I could be wrong if I am put through this test in real life but at this point, I don't think their is any fragrance out there that I can bind to such an extent, that if it were to disappear, I'd mourn it.

Yes there are heaps of fragrances that I love and would never want to be without but then you discover something new every other day that completely mesmerizes you.

Besides I think you can buy almost every discontinued fragrance. Almost any.
    Of course you'd have to pay dearly for it but if there was one fragrance that truly embellished me, I'd pay for it.

On the general subject, I'll acquire a bottle if I can, but not to the point of obsessing about hunting down multiple bottles. I'm discovering too many recently released fragrances I love to worry too much.

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I was thnking about this this morning.

My beloved bottle of Helmut Lang EDC is not as full as it once was. I could never imagine a time when I didn't have it in my fragrance wardrobe, yet, as it's becoming increasingly difficult to source (and when I do, it's ridiculously expensive) I am facing the reality that one day I won't have any.

And that sucks.

What's other people's experience been like with favourite fragrances on the verge of extinction?
    I, and a few others, feel the same way about Lang's other masculine, Cuiron. I have 2 50ml bottles in storage and I have 1/3 50ml bottle that I've been using. Believe it or not, I bought both Cuiron & EdC here on basenotes for $50 total a few years ago. Sold off the EdC as I wasn't into it. But I know what you're going through.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    I could be wrong if I am put through this test in real life but at this point, I don't think their is any fragrance out there that I can bind to such an extent, that if it were to disappear, I'd mourn it.

Yes there are heaps of fragrances that I love and would never want to be without but then you discover something new every other day that completely mesmerizes you.

Besides I think you can buy almost every discontinued fragrance. Almost any.
    Of course you'd have to pay dearly for it but if there was one fragrance that truly embellished me, I'd pay for it.
    This is how I feel too.

I think I may be going against the tide here but, I have extreme scent-ADD. My love for a fragrance has never endured a complete FB (I'm yet to finish a single one, but I apply lightly), nor could I really envision my passion for a scent withstanding an entire FB and into a second. I guess I'm just weird like that. The passion for me lies in the hunt, and in trying new things. If the market suddenly dried up, and nothing new came out, THEN I'd mourn.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 15th March 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I think I may be going against the tide here but, I have extreme scent-ADD. My love for a fragrance has never endured a complete FB (I'm yet to finish a single one, but I apply lightly), nor could I really envision my passion for a scent withstanding an entire FB and into a second. I guess I'm just weird like that. The passion for me lies in the hunt, and in trying new things. If the market suddenly dried up, and nothing new came out, THEN I'd mourn.
    Actually, ditto to that. If I ask myself "What would I do if Lutens' discontinued my favorite fragrance, Tubereuse Criminelle?"

Eh, I'd probably pick up a bottle, then not think about it again, and look for new tuberose fragrances to be excited about.

I think the most annoying thing is that I'm passing up some fragrances I don't like now, but which I'm going to love after they've disappeared. It can only be a matter of time before I go through an Aquatic phase -but I'm sure they'll all be outlawed by then

Basenotes Plus

If losing a favorite fragrance to discontinuation/reformulation alone is enough to cause a little depression, wait till you get a load of...LIFE!

As for me, I'll just keep on sampling. A new love is just around the corner....

Blog Entries

I have 9 bottles of Cuiron and 7 bottles of EDC. i should be fine for a while....bought em all cheap. New York City FTW!

my advice, search in the physical stores you'd never expect....mall stands, shady little perfume stores, etc...
    Last edited by iedei; 17th March 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iedei View Post
    ---mall stands, shady little perfume stores, etc...
    Yes you're right - I just found a sealed bottle in cellophane of By Man by D&G in a shady little perfume store, which I love. I already have one bottle which I rarely wear because I don't want to run out, so I'll be buying that as a back up.