Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grey Flannel

Default Re: Grey Flannel

Grey Flannel, like Kouros, feels like a perfumery exercise rather than a wearable fragrance.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Grey Flannel, like Kouros, feels like a perfumery exercise rather than a wearable fragrance.
    That's how I feel about TdH and Ambre Sultan. I love to smell them, just not on me.

The key to Grey Flannel is LIGHT application. It should never be over-sprayed.

Applied correctly with no more than a couple of distant spritzes, it's a very pleasant and elegant fragrance. Over apply and it can achieve chemical weapon status.

It's also one that will last and last and last even with a light application. Think carefully about what clothes you wear with it. It won't work with a Metallica t-shirt and ripped jeans for example. It would be like breaking wind in the presence of the Queen.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 22nd March 2010 at 05:45 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    It's also one that will last and last and last even with a light application. Think carefully about what clothes you wear with it. It won't work with a Metallica t-shirt and ripped jeans for example. It would be like breaking wind in the presence of the Queen.
    LOL. Oh man, what I would give just to see the expression on Her Royal Majesty's face when that happens!

I remember spraying GF on at a department store when I was 16, and telling the SA I really liked it most out of all the ones I had tested. She told me it was for "old men," and led me instead to buy Van Cleef and Arpels (which I didn't much care for at the time). I ended up leaving the store without purchasing anything and wondering about my taste in fragrance. So the GF = "old man" stereotype has been around (unjustifiably, IMO) for many decades now. I now just wear what I like and don't worry about such connotations (and encourage others do the same).

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Some people (including me) think there's no such thing as a "young man's" or "old man's scent." If something old is still around, it might just be a classic. All that is just marketing talk to keep people buying whatever cheap and inferior products they wouldn't keep buying if they tried something really good.

Instead of falling for what other people tell you, why don't you act like a young dude and try something adventurous? Being young is about trying everything. Wear it once and see what reaction you get. If some girl doesn't like it, you can always tell her you got a wild hair up your butt and decided to try something out-there. You might just find that it will attract some young woman with sophisticated tastes, and you might need to find a way to handle that.

The only old-man thing in this discussion is the fear of trying something different!
    I wholeheartedly agree, Jaime! Very well stated.

The first time I smelled Grey Flannel I didn't like it. I gave it a second chance, and was glad I did. And although I'm pushing 40, I don't think it's an "old man's" scent. In fact, I had a 24-year-old stripper tell me she liked how I smelled.

I get a hint of lilac in it. It's good stuff.

This scent is so daring - especially for the time it was launched. It is so unique that it really does not date itself to my nose its a masculine version of Chanel Cristalle edt

Quote Originally Posted by Shadis View Post
    I had a 24-year-old stripper tell me she liked how I smelled.
    Never believe compliments from people who expect a tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadis View Post
    The first time I smelled Grey Flannel I didn't like it. I gave it a second chance, and was glad I did. And although I'm pushing 40, I don't think it's an "old man's" scent. In fact, I had a 24-year-old stripper tell me she liked how I smelled.
    I hope that Shadis is a screen name.
    Otherwise...40 year old Shadis wearing Grey Flannel in Los Angeles...self incriminating...

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    its a masculine version of Chanel Cristalle edt
    That is a great way of describing Grey Flannel. I totally agree.

The best way to wear Grey Flannel is layered with Cool Water. 2 sprays of Cool Water for 1 spray of Grey Flannel. Try it, you'll love it.