Code of Conduct

Question Guerlain scents and unisex?

OK, Guerlain fans...I know many men wear Shalimar in its many forms and enjoy it a great deal, but I have two questions. Please explain *why* in your response. I'd appreciate any input, "yea" or "nay":

1. Can you consider Mouchoir de Monsieur unisex?

2. Can you consider Habit Rouge unisex?

P.S. My fav of Shalimar is the Eau Legere, esp. for warm weather!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Guerlain scents and unisex?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    OK, Guerlain fans...I know many men wear Shalimar in its many forms and enjoy it a great deal, but I have two questions. Please explain *why* in your response. I'd appreciate any input, "yea" or "nay":

P.S. My fav of Shalimar is the Eau Legere, esp. for warm weather!
    I have never had the honor of sampling Mouchoir, but Habit Rouge is definitely Unisex IMHO.

It sortof has that Gucci Rush for women vibe, as well a powdery rose that is just dark enough for a man, but sweet enough for a woman. I would love to smell it on a woman....but then again I love it when my wife wears Jaisalmer, and I dont think of it as a traditional unisex.

In fact, it has only been a 6 month transformation since I posted some ridiculous thread about whether or not a man could pull off Black Orchid, and in that half a year I have bought 4 or 5 "female" scents. I consider most anything "Unisex" these days...am I maturing as an enthusiast, or is it premature andropause....

whatever it is, it sure smells great.

Like scentaddiction, I have not tried Mouchoir, but agree that HR is unisex. I also find Heritage unisex and is on my wish list.
    Evenstar

Thank you for the quick reply, scentaddiction and arwen_elf! I am such a perfume buff, and I will try/wear just about anything. I adore Habit Rouge.

Two votes for HR as unisex, so far.

My favourite perfume poster boy avatar (an artist, gambler, sword/pistol duelist and fashion trendsetter) was known to have doused himself in orange flower water and eau de jasmine, and took perfumed baths. I think perfume enjoyment is a lot like enjoying fine foods and wines. How can you say...for instance, that pizza is made only for men. LOL!

When I go out on dates with DH, I wear my Dior Poison (alas, the new one in the grenade bottle) and spritz DH with my Equipage.
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th March 2010 at 02:53 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Absolutely not. It's for girls only!

( Especially very small ones who've yet to be potty-trained... but that's powder-hating me thinking out loud. )

Thank you for the quick reply, scentaddiction and arwen_elf! I am such a perfume buff, and I will try/wear just about anything. I adore Habit Rouge.

Two votes for HR as unisex, so far.

My favourite perfume poster boy avatar (an artist, gambler, sword/pistol duelist and fashion trendsetter) was known to have doused himself in orange flower water and eau de jasmine, and took perfumed baths. I think perfume enjoyment is a lot like enjoying fine foods and wines. How can you say...for instance, that pizza is made only for men. LOL!

When I go out on dates with DH, I wear my Dior Poison (alas, the new one in the grenade bottle) and spritz DH with my Equipage.
    I just bought Midnight Poison last weekend. I love that stuff....is Poison better? Midnight is a bit to thick for springtime wear...so I am using it while I can in this cold Detroit spring...

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    I just bought Midnight Poison last weekend. I love that stuff....is Poison better? Midnight is a bit to thick for springtime wear...so I am using it while I can in this cold Detroit spring...
    1. Poison is better, but quite different and MUCH stronger, especially the old Poison. Actually for a lighter alternative to Midnight Poison I'd check out a rose/patchouli like Voleur de Roses.

2. Probably the best one of the Poison clan for warmer weather is Tendre Poison. Very much the inoffensive member of the Poison family.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    1. Poison is better, but quite different and MUCH stronger, especially the old Poison. Actually for a lighter alternative to Midnight Poison I'd check out a rose/patchouli like Voleur de Roses.

2. Probably the best one of the Poison clan for warmer weather is Tendre Poison. Very much the inoffensive member of the Poison family.
    I will have to check this out....although i am ashamed to admit that I have not sampled the original yet.

Galamb, a powder-hater? What of the vanilla? LOL! And thank you for the reply.

Scentaddiction, I hesitate to recommend this powerful scent to anyone and recommend you try first. This is a sillage monster and was actually banned in some public places in Paris in the 1980s, if I am corrrect. The new version is still very powerful, as I had the original at the launch--and love the flatter bottle. I cannot speak to Midnight Poison, but perhaps someone can chime in the thread and answer for you.

Poison is a semi-gourmand, IMHO, and a very almost fruity tuberose. Very, very rich. Just as some men enjoy Black Orchid, I can see the same men enjoying the deep, rich Poison. To each his own. My DH would not like this as it is very floral, and he likes more spicy/herbal scents. Then again, he is not a perfumisto...

http://yesterdaysperfume.typepad.com...dior-1985.html

Yes to both. Neither of them have any heavy duty macho notes in their compositions.
    MdM is a nice, lavender, retro-cologne. No heavy lifting here.
    HR was conceived of as Shalimar for men, but so much has changed since the 60s, including the original formula, these days it just smells like a powdery oriental with a big orange note.
    I love them both.

I would say that Mouchoir is somewhat masculine but not heavily. It is similar to Jicky EdT, but not as powdery.

Sur la Plage

Yes and Yes!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

MdM is def unisex. Like a mix of Jicky meets Apres L'Ondee.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

IMO both are unisex. Nonetheless, one should sample both. Many people (including me) love both of these, but there are just as many who detest them. Sample, sample, sample!

Unisex is a very personal concept as far as fragrance goes. Some people have a much wider comfort zone than others do in regards to the types of scents they wear in regard to gender perception. That is why your nose must always be the guide. That said, I personally consider each of the scents you mentioned as being wearable by both genders, even though they are designated by Guerlain to be "men's scents."

Thank you all for the input. I will have to try these.

I had some bad luck with Shalimar new version EDP--red marks (skin reactions) on spraying on my forearms. These red "reactions" go away in about an hour, but I have never had reactions like this for a perfume.

I had no problem with Eau Legere or the regular EDT. I will have to step carefully with the newer Guerlains.
    Last edited by Primrose; 22nd March 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Isn't Guerlain one of the few houses whose entire range is considered by many, including Guerlain themselves, to be unisex, even when you take out personal opinion? As in Guerlain have always designed each frag so both men and women can enjoy it?

I'm sure I read or heard that somewhere once.

Quote Originally Posted by great_badir View Post
    Isn't Guerlain one of the few houses whose entire range is considered by many, including Guerlain themselves, to be unisex, even when you take out personal opinion? As in Guerlain have always designed each frag so both men and women can enjoy it?

I'm sure I read or heard that somewhere once.
    They have established very definite gender associations on many of their fragrances. The l'Art et la matiere line and their eaus are possibly what you are thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    They have established very definite gender associations on many of their fragrances. The l'Art et la matiere line and their eaus are possibly what you are thinking of.
    Maybe. Or, perhaps more likely, I'm thinking of another house entirely. Could be Jo Malone or Diptyque...(?)

Mouchoir de Monsieur is a recent aquisition of mine and I love it and wear it often for work, I don't have Habit Rouge but I do also own and wear Heritage occasionally. I can't wear Shalimar though, sadly it's too vanilla sweet on my skin.

Well, seeing how many here say a woman can wear both Mouchoir and HR EDP (including a few women, too), I am sampling these two.

Oh, my! Et ouah! With a spray Mouchoir on one forearm and HR EDP on the other, I can say (more than one hour into the drydown) that this is like a sensuous menage a trois with two very different French gentlemen.

I am happy because my last encounter with Guerlain was the new Shalimar EDP which left me with a skin reaction...it broke my heart.

Mouchoir de Monsieur is still throwing off the civet and the florals are starting to show through; I wish there were more flowers. This is the "older gentleman" here, more understated elegance. Certainly a far cry from all the aquatics out there that one smells on everyone. Very much a "serious" scent that is light and soft-spoken. Not a sillage monster by any means. (I prefer my smack dose of civet in Chanel's Cuir de Russie, to be honest.)

The HR EDP is more to my liking and more like "the younger fellow," in the metaphor: the citrus and florals are more aggressive and exuberant. It is mildly sweet and not as powdery as I had expected. Richer than the HR EDT. The leather is asserting itself over the citrus and I am perceiving the agarwood. I find this bottleworthy, but I understand the EDP is harder to find in the U.S. Will I have to coax a Parisian pal to take pity on me and bring me a bottle of this potion of beauty?

If I had the choice and the money, I would go for the HR EDP first, and save my silver for the Mouchoir later, as I see getting more daily wear from the Habit Rouge. In fact, I like the tinge of sweetness from HR over Shalimar.

I will conclude by sharing my favourite image of a man in the habit rouge. Bring on the eau de jasmin with a vengeance...

http://www.dandyism.net/?page_id=314
    Last edited by Primrose; 23rd March 2010 at 01:24 AM.

I understand the EDP is harder to find in the U.S. Will I have to coax a Parisian pal to take pity on me and bring me a bottle of this potion of beauty?
    Most Guerlain boutiques in the US, stock Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier; which is the EDP in a fancy bottle. It's the exact same juice as HR EDP from what I understand. I know the Nordstrom in South Coast Plaza carries it, and they don't charge for shipping.
    Last edited by mrclmind; 23rd March 2010 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    Most Guerlain boutiques in the US, stock Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier; which is the EDP in a fancy bottle. It's the exact same juice as HR EDP from what I understand. I know the Nordstrom in South Coast Plaza carries it, and they don't charge for shipping.
    Thank you, mrclmind, for the info. Yes, I will be calling about for this if I cannot find it in a brick-and-mortar store. Don't you think the Beau Cavalier bottle is a bit gaudy and the leather bottle is much more refined? Either way, the juice is the same, as you mentioned.

Guerlain Vetiver, Habit Rouge, and Mitsuoko are in my wardrobe and I can imagine all of those being unisex. I have some other Guerlains on the way and will report on them. The "Guerlinade" to my nose, that is apparent in what I own, is very, very unisex and I have to say, quite sexy.

But then again, I lean very much toward wearing more "masculine" scents... so... YMMV

As evinced by my Habit Rouge (albeit borrowed) and Tabac here:

http://www.basenotes.net/album.php?a...achmentid=4645
    Last edited by actiasluna; 23rd March 2010 at 03:26 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

If you like Jicky then you will likely appreciate Mouchoir de Monsieur. Just about all of the classic Guerlain fragrances can be considered unisex IMO. I recently got a bottle of HR Beau Cavalier, which is wonderful. I use Shalimar, Mitsouko, Nahema, Chamade, L'Heure Bleue, Habit Rouge, Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, L'Instant de Guerlain, Vol de Nuit, Jicky, Chant d'Aromes, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune (great for summer), and Vetiver. I am not a civet fan so, I wear Jicky very infrequently. I wore Mitsouko yesterday and recieved a very nice compliment from a lady. Unisex? Yes. If you like the scent wear it. Guerlain classics are first cabin fragrances in my book. Wear Guerlain in confidence and enjoy!
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 23rd March 2010 at 03:26 AM.

Thank you, mrclmind, for the info. Yes, I will be calling about for this if I cannot find it in a brick-and-mortar store. Don't you think the Beau Cavalier bottle is a bit gaudy and the leather bottle is much more refined? Either way, the juice is the same, as you mentioned.
    Yes, I have the leather bottle. The Beau Cavalier bottle looked much better in person than it did in pictures though. It's such a great, scent...

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    If you like Jicky then you will likely appreciate Mouchoir de Monsieur. Just about all of the classic Guerlain fragrances can be considered unisex IMO. I recently got a bottle of HR Beau Cavalier, which is wonderful. I use Shalimar, Mitsouko, Nahema, Chamade, L'Heure Bleue, Habit Rouge, Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier, L'Instant de Guerlain, Vol de Nuit, Jicky, Chant d'Aromes, Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune (great for summer), and Vetiver. I am not a civet fan so, I wear Jicky very infrequently. I wore Mitsouko yesterday and recieved a very nice compliment from a lady. Unisex? Yes. If you like the scent wear it. Guerlain classics are first cabin fragrances in my book. Wear Guerlain in confidence and enjoy!
    I concur wholeheartedly!
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!