Code of Conduct

Thread: Grey Flannel

Default Grey Flannel

For some reason an unopened bottle of Grey Flannel has been in my grandmothers possession for quite some time. Ever since she moved out I was going through my bathroom (used to be hers) and found this. I opened it up and took a whiff and almost passed out. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong but I feel as if this scent should not be worn by anyone under the age of 50. To me it smells like something my grandfather would wear.

I am a 19 year old guy, soon to be 20 in 4 days, and wanted to ask BN if this is something I should actually give a shot? I feel like if I wear it for one day I will be mistaken for my grandfather!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Grey Flannel

You won't impress any girls your age with that. I bought it for my father and filled a little vial for myself. I only open it to sniff the violet leaves once a month. It is definitely a mature scent that I won't wear even if my hair turns gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    You won't impress any girls your age with that. I bought it for my father and filled a little vial for myself. I only open it to sniff the violet leaves once a month. It is definitely a mature scent that I won't wear even if my hair turns gray.
    Ok good. I see some members here give decent reviews on it but clearly I am much too young for this scent. I'll just stick with the Chanel Allure Sport and Body Kouros I will be getting for my birthday!

Post Thanks / Like

Hold onto it, though. Your tastes will change as the years go by.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    Ok good. I see some members here give decent reviews on it but clearly I am much too young for this scent. I'll just stick with the Chanel Allure Sport and Body Kouros I will be getting for my birthday!
    Those two are definitely sexy to girls your age! In fact, those two will keep you covered year-round.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if it's a classic frag, I keep at as a permanent presence in my wardrobe, although I'm only 26

Quote Originally Posted by mike1990 View Post
    For some reason an unopened bottle of Grey Flannel ... if I wear it for one day I will be mistaken for my grandfather!
    Grey Flannel isn't the issue. Personally I'm one of those guys who are under 50 and find Grey Flannel 'tres chique'. I'm pretty sure You smell what it not is instead of its true nature. No citrus! No musk! No sweets! No fruit! You must see it as a pop song without a singer guitar bass and drum. But, contrary to Your assumption this is clearly possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=UCi4...eature=related

Well, I'm only just into my 30s and it's one of my favourites. Whilst I can understand your thoughts from smelling in the bottle, on me it quickly changes when sprayed on. Nothing "old" about it at all, if we assume "old" in the sense of Old Spice or nan's handbag, as far as I'm concerned.

Grey Flannel is a masterpiece. I think if you spray a little on and wait a few minutes you may discover the magic that has kept it around for 30+ years. Honestly at your age, you may be surprised at how many compliments you get, and you wont smell like every other teen in your area. Go ahead and push the sprayer a few times and report back after a day or two of wear.
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Grey Flannel is a masterpiece. I think if you spray a little on and wait a few minutes you may discover the magic that has kept it around for 30+ years. Honestly at your age, you may be surprised at how many compliments you get, and you wont smell like every other teen in your area. Go ahead and push the sprayer a few times and report back after a day or two of wear.
    Agreed - I've had loads of compliments when wearing GF and a lot from younger people (i.e in their 20s), both male and female.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't underestimate Grey Flannel. I started wearing it when I was around 24, and it was my wife (then girlfriend) who bought it for me. She's loved the smell ever since her teens because, as she states it, "It's classy, clean and masculine".

I don't think it's an old man's scent at all. It's just more sophisticated than a lot of the stuff you see in GQ magazine ads.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. Pretty hard for a generation raised on Kool-Aid and soft drinks to get used to to the taste of fine dry wines!

Quote Originally Posted by merry.waters View Post
    No citrus! No musk! No sweets! No fruit! You must see it as a pop song without a singer guitar bass and drum.

The only thing wrong with Grey Flannel is its name. Definitely not to be worn with a grey flannel suit. Don't be misled by the name it's not an old-man's-scent (you've got to love these basenotes clichés). It is as modern today as it was 30 years ago.

I for one love to wear the so-called 'formal scents' with casual clothes and I definitely avoid wearing formal scents with suit + tie + cufflinks + brogues. It's just too much.

Do NOT overspray, 2 sprays max, then allow GF to get some fresh air for a few minutes before you put your shirt on.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Some people (including me) think there's no such thing as a "young man's" or "old man's scent." If something old is still around, it might just be a classic. All that is just marketing talk to keep people buying whatever cheap and inferior products they wouldn't keep buying if they tried something really good.

Instead of falling for what other people tell you, why don't you act like a young dude and try something adventurous? Being young is about trying everything. Wear it once and see what reaction you get. If some girl doesn't like it, you can always tell her you got a wild hair up your butt and decided to try something out-there. You might just find that it will attract some young woman with sophisticated tastes, and you might need to find a way to handle that.

The only old-man thing in this discussion is the fear of trying something different!
    Last edited by JaimeB; 15th March 2010 at 01:30 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Post Thanks / Like

Your grandmother is cool as shit, is the reason. Grey Flannel has just left a wild party thrown by a coven of mid 60's feminine leather chypres and wandered out onto a desert hillside to watch the world spin towards the sun. If Comme des Garçons released this tomorrow we'd pay big bucks for it. Wear it, young man.

Post Thanks / Like

Grey Flannel is a classic scent. I wore it quite often, back in my college days, which was 1986-1990. I still wear it. I've gone through 3 bottles since 86. It's in my rotation still and I like wearing it in the fall and winter. I highly recommend this scent for you mike1990. Be original, and state your presence with this one. It's definitely not part of the fruity tooty frags that have flooded the market!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Yep. Pretty hard for a generation raised on Kool-Aid and soft drinks to get used to to the taste of fine dry wines!
    So true and well said!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that it's too "mature" but for someone your age it's very much more "serious." Hang on to it for when you've got more of a need for a dressier scent. It would be at some odds with your usual wardrobe imo.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th March 2010 at 02:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

My girlfriend in my teens swooned over Grey Flannel. It was by far her favorite.

I agree with the others who say do not be intimidated, embrace it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by innerspark View Post
    It's definitely not part of the fruity tooty frags that have flooded the market!
    You got that right.

You will definitely NOT smell like a plate of cookies or a fruit danish by wearing Grey Flannel, nor will you smell like suntan lotion either. It's a MAN's scent. Definitely give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strollyourlobster View Post
    Your grandmother is cool as shit, is the reason. Grey Flannel has just left a wild party thrown by a coven of mid 60's feminine leather chypres and wandered out onto a desert hillside to watch the world spin towards the sun. If Comme des Garçons released this tomorrow we'd pay big bucks for it. Wear it, young man.
    And how!
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Au contraire! I love my Montrachet just as much as my Mountain Dew, my Cos d'Estournel equally to my Diet Coke!

Mike1990, wear it you feel like you can pull it off, or don't wear it if you can't. IN GENERAL, guys in your age bracket are much more constrained by peer pressure than us old farts. Your loss, but that's life, and it's not a terminal condition - in another 15-20 years, you won't give a flying fajita what other folks think about your fragrance choices.

I like the suggestion to wear it as an ice breaker - that tactic might actually work quite well, depending on the type of folks you run with.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 15th March 2010 at 04:39 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

It's also always worth adding when discussing GF that this one is an absolute steal these days. There's no excuse for anyone not to have this in their collection. I don't wear it very often, but I can't think of a purchase that's represented a better value.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would definitely suggest trying it with an open mind. It's one of my favorites and I've worn it since my twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by PhinClio View Post
    It's also always worth adding when discussing GF that this one is an absolute steal these days. There's no excuse for anyone not to have this in their collection. I don't wear it very often, but I can't think of a purchase that's represented a better value.
    Amen. GF was my first fragrance buy; a LT five star at 10 dollars for 4 oz. was just too good to pass up, that's cheaper than cognac!

My only gripe with GF is the thundering level of ionone in the top notes, it's a powder bomb that hovers just on the edge of headache inducing. Once that goes away the scent itself is excellent. I'm with Chassagne Montrachet on this one, GF needs a little time and modest application to reach its potential.

Post Thanks / Like

Strollyourlobster makes a very good point. It appears that often our perception of a fragrance is determined by what is considered fashionable. If CdG or Serge Lutens issued this fragrance, it would be lauded to the skies. Although I am not a massive fan, I can appreciate its complexity and find it reminiscent of other fragrances as it develops (eg Fahrenheit and Antaeus in some respects). I am still surprised at how cheap this is.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

An unopened bottle of Grey Flannel you say? Your grandfather probably thought he's too old for this frag. Honestly, there is nothing staid about Grey Flannel. If it is released today under Frederic Malle or Dior even, it would probably hit the top of the fragrance charts in no time. There's nothing quite like it IMO.

The trick lies in application. Try wearing one spray to your solar plexus under your shirt at least 30 minutes before leaving the house. See what kind of reactions you'll get. Be careful though, you might attract the attention of some hot MILFs or cougars on the prowl with that scent...

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely Put,It's true
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Some people (including me) think there's no such thing as a "young man's" or "old man's scent." If something old is still around, it might just be a classic. All that is just marketing talk to keep people buying whatever cheap and inferior products they wouldn't keep buying if they tried something really good.

Instead of falling for what other people tell you, why don't you act like a young dude and try something adventurous? Being young is about trying everything. Wear it once and see what reaction you get. If some girl doesn't like it, you can always tell her you got a wild hair up your butt and decided to try something out-there. You might just find that it will attract some young woman with sophisticated tastes, and you might need to find a way to handle that.

The only old-man thing in this discussion is the fear of trying something different!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    An unopened bottle of Grey Flannel you say? Your grandfather probably thought he's too old for this frag. Honestly, there is nothing staid about Grey Flannel. If it is released today under Frederic Malle or Dior even, it would probably hit the top of the fragrance charts in no time. There's nothing quite like it IMO.

The trick lies in application. Try wearing one spray to your solar plexus under your shirt at least 30 minutes before leaving the house. See what kind of reactions you'll get. Be careful though, you might attract the attention of some hot MILFs or cougars on the prowl with that scent...
    LOL! Yes, I agree that Grey Flannel is a classic.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

I first wore this Classic in my late Teens, and I've been wearing it ever since (I'm 46)

Post Thanks / Like

Grey Flannel, like Kouros, feels like a perfumery exercise rather than a wearable fragrance.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
    Grey Flannel, like Kouros, feels like a perfumery exercise rather than a wearable fragrance.
    That's how I feel about TdH and Ambre Sultan. I love to smell them, just not on me.

The key to Grey Flannel is LIGHT application. It should never be over-sprayed.

Applied correctly with no more than a couple of distant spritzes, it's a very pleasant and elegant fragrance. Over apply and it can achieve chemical weapon status.

It's also one that will last and last and last even with a light application. Think carefully about what clothes you wear with it. It won't work with a Metallica t-shirt and ripped jeans for example. It would be like breaking wind in the presence of the Queen.
    Last edited by HDS1963; 22nd March 2010 at 05:45 AM.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    It's also one that will last and last and last even with a light application. Think carefully about what clothes you wear with it. It won't work with a Metallica t-shirt and ripped jeans for example. It would be like breaking wind in the presence of the Queen.
    LOL. Oh man, what I would give just to see the expression on Her Royal Majesty's face when that happens!

Post Thanks / Like

I remember spraying GF on at a department store when I was 16, and telling the SA I really liked it most out of all the ones I had tested. She told me it was for "old men," and led me instead to buy Van Cleef and Arpels (which I didn't much care for at the time). I ended up leaving the store without purchasing anything and wondering about my taste in fragrance. So the GF = "old man" stereotype has been around (unjustifiably, IMO) for many decades now. I now just wear what I like and don't worry about such connotations (and encourage others do the same).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post

I wholeheartedly agree, Jaime! Very well stated.

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I smelled Grey Flannel I didn't like it. I gave it a second chance, and was glad I did. And although I'm pushing 40, I don't think it's an "old man's" scent. In fact, I had a 24-year-old stripper tell me she liked how I smelled.

I get a hint of lilac in it. It's good stuff.

This scent is so daring - especially for the time it was launched. It is so unique that it really does not date itself to my nose its a masculine version of Chanel Cristalle edt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadis View Post
    I had a 24-year-old stripper tell me she liked how I smelled.
    Never believe compliments from people who expect a tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadis View Post
    The first time I smelled Grey Flannel I didn't like it. I gave it a second chance, and was glad I did. And although I'm pushing 40, I don't think it's an "old man's" scent. In fact, I had a 24-year-old stripper tell me she liked how I smelled.
    I hope that Shadis is a screen name.
    Otherwise...40 year old Shadis wearing Grey Flannel in Los Angeles...self incriminating...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    its a masculine version of Chanel Cristalle edt
    That is a great way of describing Grey Flannel. I totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to wear Grey Flannel is layered with Cool Water. 2 sprays of Cool Water for 1 spray of Grey Flannel. Try it, you'll love it.