Code of Conduct

Smile Would you suggest your favourite magnolia scents?

I simply adore magnolia!I have already J'adore l'eau de cologne florale!Thank you!You've always been very helpful!

Default Re: Would you suggest your favourite magnolia scents?

Acqua di Parma Magnolia Nobile is the only magnolia I've tried that I really liked, but it is fairly sweet and I think I've found that I love the smell of magnolias, but don't want to smell of magnolias myself.

Magnolia Romana by Eau d'Italie gets rave reviews and I'm dying to try it as it sounds more peppery and bitter green than sugary sweet.

I don't think Fracas has magnolia listed, but it can give off a magnolia/Southern decadence vibe.

Youth Dew Amber Nude lists magnolia in the top notes, but I don't find it. It is one of my favorites though and worth trying.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Magnolia Romana is great, but more like some abstract art installation than a true rendition of the flower. Smoke, pepper, aquatics, newly-laid-turf and magnolia. Dramatic, but not something I'd wear.

Oddly, I can't think of a single magnolia fragrance I've tried that fully captures the beauty of the flower itself. Good tuberose fragrances are too warm; good lilac fragrances are too powdery; good lily fragrances are too cool and heady, while I've found most magnolia fragrances overcompensate and become too tart and green. That perfect balance of smooth, creamy floral with a faint hint of cool greenness is one I've yet to smell perfectly captured.

I look forward to reading others answers to this thread!

AGONIST Parfums Nordique "The Infidels" has a stunning magnolia at its heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post

Oddly, I can't think of a single magnolia fragrance I've tried that fully captures the beauty of the flower itself. Good tuberose fragrances are too warm; good lilac fragrances are too powdery; good lily fragrances are too cool and heady, while I've found most magnolia fragrances overcompensate and become too tart and green. That perfect balance of smooth, creamy floral with a faint hint of cool greenness is one I've yet to smell perfectly captured.

I look forward to reading others answers to this thread!
    I agree completely.

For me it is: magnolia, honeysuckle, mimosa [very few even come close]--these are flowers I know well and I have yet to find a perfume that captures any of them.

I hope to find a magnolia winner on this thread, because the flower is glorious.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 15th March 2010 at 03:17 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

I love Magnolia Romana, a Bertrand Duchaufour creation. It's on my wish list. It has an aquatic element that is lovely with the magnolia.
    Last edited by Haunani; 15th March 2010 at 05:32 PM.

Keeping in mind "magnolia" is not one of my most favored floral notes....I do find "L'Instant de Guerlain" quite lovely. It was composed by Maurice Roucel, and is an exquisite blend of mandarin, bergamot, magnolia, jasmine, honey, benzoin, amber and musk. If a fragrance can be described as light AND rich - that's how I'd call L'Instant!

I remember someone enthusing about how realistic ElizabethW Magnolia smells. It's a very simple soliflore, but a nice one.

MPGs Magnolia Pourpre, floral/iris, although I get a lot of leather and vanilla...
    Last edited by Primrose; 16th March 2010 at 01:54 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Magnolia is one of my favorites, too, Maya! I'll second Magnolia Nobile. I'm quoting myself from a recent post here -

"I love a lot of fragrances, but Magnolia Nobile actually moves me. With this, I've finally found the third of a perfect magnolia triumvirate. I have the more complex and stylized magnolia blend of L'Instant de Guerlain, the ultra-creamy, sweet and warm magnolia bouquet of Avon's Tomorrow, and now this, as close as I've smelled to the real thing, and I am over the moon!"

"...Magnolia Nobile is the the newly blossomed and breathtaking magnolia grandiflora from my avatar. Like the other magnolia scents I mentioned, this is also tender and creamy, but with a flourish of cheerful green that keeps it refreshing, and authentic. It has a soft but beautiful sillage, and moderate longevity...but that's of little importance as I'd be thrilled to reapply! Utterly romantic, sweetly enchanting, and simply exquisite."

I clearly agree with ubu about L'Instant de Guerlain. I'll add that I find that the magnolia is more prominent in the edt, although it's also present in the edp. To me, the edt is mostly citrus and magnolia, and the edp has more amber and honey so it's a bit richer and just a touch less floral. They're both gorgeous.

The other fragrance I mentioned is Avon's Tomorrow. I'm not even sure that magnolia is an actual note in it, but the floral accord is all smooth and creamy magnolia to me. It can be on the sweet side, but real magnolias are pretty sweet so that shouldn't be a surprise. It's utterly beautiful, quite long-lasting, and very affordable. I highly recommend it.

summer means fireflys

I also think L'Instant de Guerlain is a pretty amazing magnolia scent. I love the magnolia + honey.

Another one to try is Max Mara if you find L'Instant too sweet or powdery. To me, it is a fresher, lighter take on L'Instant's magnolia. This time the magnolia is paired with sugar cane and soft woods. Notes include: Ginger, Sap, Sicilian Lemon, Magnolia, White Lily, Orchid, Sugar Cane, Musk, Exotic Woods, Cashmere wood.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Institution

Learn something new every day: I didn't know that L'Instant had a magnolia note. I must try it soon.

Like Galamb, I have yet to smell a fragrance that captures that unique, tart, fantastic smell that magnolia flowers (on the tree) smell like.