Code of Conduct

Thread: Akon Konvict

Post Thanks / Like

Default Akon Konvict

Look at the bottle design... no comments.
    (I had to google for Akon, another Rapper)

http://www.akonfragrances.com/produc...duct_id=100000

A cologne for a night on the town. Konvict Homme’s fresh aroma of bergamot and lemon is perfect for a casual night out, while its touch of sandal and cedar wood, is just right for that special night.
    Each handcuff contains 1.7 oz of eau de parfum totaling 3.4 oz
    Reduced price in honor of Akon's New Fragrance Line. Originally $49.95. Available until the end of April.
    Homme
    $41.95
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Default Re: Akon Konvict

LOL - I've never seen anything so ridiculous! Handcuff shaped bottles? What were they thinking?

No doubt an amazing fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

He's not actually a rapper, more of a singer. You have to be aware of his backstory to understand the direction they're going with the bottle. It was in various alleged stays in prison that he developed his love and talent for music. Many of his early hits dealt with being in jail, and his record label is called Konvict, playing on the whole jail theme yet again. I used to be a fan of his music when he first came out, and I still find him to add catchy hooks to others music, but just as with most pop artists, catchy can only get you so far. When he first came out, he had a slightly less mainstream feel, and I even own his first album. He's of Senegalese descent, and his father was a percussionist so his musical influence is quite diverse.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Post Thanks / Like

Imaginative. isn't Akon the same guy with the track "I wanna ***k you" ?

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't stop myself from laughing at "Each handcuff contains..."

Personally, I wouldn't want to have so many prison references mixed in with my "special night" for which this fragrance is allegedly perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He is pretty genius for signing Lady Gaga and T-Pain. Two of the biggest artists to have come out in the past 4 years as well as launching the careers of Colby O'Donis and Kardinal Official (now THIS Toronto-based rapper needed a push for a decade). At least he made this an eau de parfum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Amit View Post
    Imaginative. isn't Akon the same guy with the track "I wanna ***k you" ?
    Lol. Yes. Like I said, I liked him before everyone found out about him...
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Don't forget that being in prison is really cool, kids!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have zero respect for those rappers/singers that celebrate prison, violence etc. and while doing so they generate million of dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you guys are missing something. I've never seen (at least I can't think of one) a rapper/singer glorify prison. If that's the message that people are getting then that's their fault. No one talks about the great times they had in prison, so how are they glorifying it?

Akon is one of the best RnB all the time.

I think the simple act of releasing a song about prison glorifies it, if that's intentional or not is another question. Why would one release a fragrance bottle in the shape of handcuffs if they're not proud of having been to prison?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Don't forget that being in prison is really cool, kids!!
    indeed
    Last edited by blas; 16th March 2010 at 03:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I think you guys are missing something. I've never seen (at least I can't think of one) a rapper/singer glorify prison. If that's the message that people are getting then that's their fault. No one talks about the great times they had in prison, so how are they glorifying it?
    Beanie Siegel is a rapper that always glorifies prison. Thugs in NYC brag about prison time because it adds to their street cred, especially if they are known to have murdered in prison.

Post Thanks / Like

His record label is called:

Post Thanks / Like

i dunno why but im about to order this.
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One post after the first discussed the fragrance, for one sentence. We do this every time a rapper releases a fragrance. Guys, I'm sure you have opinions but this is ridiculous, bash the man on his extraordinarily generic-sounding fragrance, not over his person/music/whatever.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    You like the bottle.
    Last edited by Spray; 16th March 2010 at 03:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    One post after the first discussed the fragrance, for one sentence. We do this every time a rapper releases a fragrance. Guys, I'm sure you have opinions but this is ridiculous, bash the man on his extraordinarily generic-sounding fragrance, not over his person/music/whatever.
    No rapper has released something as distasteful as this. This one needs to get bashed. A convict named Akon of Konvict Muzik releases a bottle shaped liked handcuffs named Konvict. Blacks have the highest incarceration rates in the USA, and this ex-convict celebrates it.
    Last edited by Spray; 16th March 2010 at 03:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    No rapper has released something as distasteful as this. This one needs to get bashed. A convict named Akon of Konvict Muzik releases a bottle shaped liked handcuffs named Konvict. Blacks have the highest incarceration rates in the USA, and this ex-convict celebrates it.
    This is exactly the kind of BS I'm talking about. Calling someone a drug dealer, to say nothing of a rapist, with nothing to substantiate the claims isn't just extremely poor taste but is borderline illegal defamation. If you think that little of this site to put it in that kind of jeopardy, my estimation of you just went down a notch.

Somebody lock this.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 16th March 2010 at 04:05 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    This is exactly the kind of BS I'm talking about. Calling someone a drug dealer...
    Somebody lock this.
    Akon has bragged about selling drugs (ecstasy). You are right about this being locked, though. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else here. This tasteless release angered me and I HAD to voice my opinion.
    Last edited by Spray; 16th March 2010 at 04:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

GASFACE.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread shouldn't be locked, it should be hand-cuffed. Thats right, I went there.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Post Thanks / Like

I could understand Akon and the rest of the gangster rappers appealing to young kids but not to adults with some brains and taste.
    What they sing about and brag about goes against any common sense and decency. In my book celebrating murder, drug dealing, beating women, attacking other sexual orientations, prison culture, racial confrontation is living probe of how decadent some sectors of our society are.

His label name , fragrance name and fragrance design is a clear apologia of a celebration of prison culture = violence. Two big thumbs down, pure trash.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Re: Akon Konvict

Quote Originally Posted by Basteri View Post
    I could understand Akon and the rest of the gangster rappers appealing to young kids but not to adults with some brains and taste.
    What they sing about and brag about goes against any common sense and decency. In my book celebrating murder, drug dealing, beating women, attacking other sexual orientations, prison culture, racial confrontation is living probe of how decadent some sectors of our society are.

His label name , fragrance name and fragrance design is a clear apologia of a celebration of prison culture = violence. Two big thumbs down, pure trash.
    This is exactly how I feel. Unfortunately, this is such a hot topic that it's hard for me to keep my cool. I could write a paper on this disgusting release.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thierry mugler View Post
    Oh pfft, that's cuz Akon's from New Jersey. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a gross oversimplification and mass generilzation. Fact is that is how the media portrays it to non-fans, and like most things the media says, is almost completely off-base and entirely biased. I have these debates with my father too, who gets his info from political news pundits, point is it's simply not true.

Plus. those that do, are clearly smart enough to recognize an opportunity to benefit from the image they portray, AND the even smaller percentage of those that actually lived through that stuff, have every right to rap or sing about it. Don't listen to it, fine, but I'm tired of people picking hip-hop as a whipping boy for the downfall of modern society, the same things happen with video games. All generations have popular culture that is criticized by older generations, this isn't anything new.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a gross oversimplification and mass generilzation. Fact is that is how the media portrays it to non-fans, and like most things the media says, is almost completely off-base and entirely biased. I have these debates with my father too, who gets his info from political news pundits, point is it's simply not true.

Plus. those that do, are clearly smart enough to recognize an opportunity to benefit from the image they portray, AND the even smaller percentage of those that actually lived through that stuff, have every right to rap or sing about it. Don't listen to it, fine, but I'm tired of people picking hip-hop as a whipping boy for the downfall of modern society, the same things happen with video games. All generations have popular culture that is criticized by older generations, this isn't anything new.
    + 1
    Check out my YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/JRWRlTER

Post Thanks / Like

what ever floats your boat my friend if you like it and you relate to what he sings about fine, I do not and I am entitle to give my opinion as your give yours. They add absolutely nothing to the musical scenario and to society.

what ever floats your boat my friend if you like it and you relate to what he sings about fine, I do not and I am entitle to give my opinion as your give yours. They add absolutely nothing to the musical scenario and to society.
    + 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

With that said. Quentin Tarantino is a total prick for glorifying violence in his movies and add absolutely nothing to the cinematic scenario and to society. :P

PS: Some of his movies are still awesome. I was just kidding, but you get the point I'm trying to make. Now let's all get along and pop in a Michael Bublé CD since some of us are enough of grown-ass men to look deeper into things than what we see on the surface instead of sh*tting on things we have little experience with.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 16th March 2010 at 05:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Someone let me know how it smells like when they get it
    thanks!
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I saw this for $6 bucks at a local discount store. Should I buy it? I smelled it from the cuff, lol and it just smells like a typical lemony light blue PH type of smell. but 6 bucks.... LOL! I'll look like an idiot though.

Post Thanks / Like

This is just what the world needs. Everyday I've been asking myself, "when is Akon going to come out with a fragrance?" Finally...

Post Thanks / Like

+ 2

As a hip hop fan who understands the fundamentals of the art, a person who has studied the origins and knows REAL hip hop from what everyone else thinks hip hop is, I wholeheartedly agree with this. "Gangsta" rap to the true hip hop fan is the rotten branch in the tree. Besides, most of what you hear on the actual albums is generally not how the actual artist wants to put out. Creative control is generally directed by the music label. Many a artist have discouraged fans from buying an album after realising what they had been directed into doing...

I myself am not a fan of heavy metal/death metal or even rock music for that matter. I listen to a few songs but I can live without it as I simply don't care for it. You won't see me going out of my way to bash this musical form. I simply acknowledge the fact that it's not for me and move on. And don't try to tell me that there isn't a rock artist that speaks on negative issues.

It just bothers me when I see people whose opinions have obviously been doctored by the media come out and attack the art and its people. If you dislike the art, fine, leave it be.. but making grossly unsubstantiated comments fuelled by erroneous viewpoints and hidden prejudices while declaring everything associated with it as BAD brings your level of judgement into question.

As for the fragrance itself, the marketing is obviously what it is. It's trying to associate cool with the idea of prison. Even I a hip hop afficionado can see this rather clearly. Yes Akon is a fool for letting this happen under his name. Yes its a stupid idea. Yes, yes, yes... but it's no worse than the over sexualised ads for every other fragrance advertisement out there and its just as harmful to the children. Nobody seems to mind that though..
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

I am just waiting for the rapper Ludicrous to launch a scent - I am sure it will be "Ludicrous!"

Post Thanks / Like

The thing I hate is, surely these celebrities wear some expensive stuff, and surely (I hope) they have good taste. Then why release such crap with your name attached to it?