Code of Conduct

Default Humiecki & Graef

I am trying to find out if anyone on here has tried anything from this house? They dont have much to go on from the reviews @luckyscent.com.
    The ones I want info on are..
    1.Askew
    2.Geste
    3.Multiple Rouge
    I notice they are not even in the BN directory. Weird!!!

Default Re: Humiecki & Graef

Quote Originally Posted by megatropolis View Post
    I am trying to find out if anyone on here has tried anything from this house? They dont have much to go on from the reviews @luckyscent.com.
    1.Askew
    2.Geste
    3.Multiple Rouge
    All three of those are just plain weird to my nose. Actually there is one in the bunch I own a bottle of and happens to be my SOTD and it's Eau Radieuse. I get mine from First in Fragrance in Germany.

I suggest you spring for the 12 bucks and sample the three of them. I didn't care for anything from this house. I was really looking forward to trying Askew from the notes but, as thebeck said, it's just plain weird.

Duplicate.
    Last edited by scentsitivity; 16th March 2010 at 02:34 PM.

There is not much interest in this house here.

Skarb, their first release, was panned pretty hard on Basenotes.

With the exception of a couple of the positive comments on Eau Radieuse, the others have pretty much generated no interest.

I just read about their next release, it's called Bosque. Featured notes are: primrose, narcissus absolute, buffalo grass, musks, grapefruit, vetiver, saffron. It's supposed to evoke images of pale yellow, and according to the Scented Salamander, "the composition wants to interpret the ancient mythological motif of the sacred bosk or grove, a place symbolizing happiness and peace and serving as a sanctuary to the Gods." I wasn't overly impressed with Eau Radieuse, but I'm not going to lie, this sounds good.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

They have also released Clemency (W) last year.
    Last edited by lsp_NY; 17th March 2010 at 06:03 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Love Eau Radieuse. Skarb made me a bit nauseous. The rest I have not smelled.

I just ordered my samples from LS...I will update you guys.....Thanks for all your comments!!!!

I tried quite a few from this company, purchased them from First in Fragrance and yuk, there wasn't one I liked.

Damn...Im just going to have to see for myself...Thanks for the warning

I like "Askew" and "Geste". Don't like the price.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Just tried Askew. My first impressions: astringent, herbal, kinda harsh. Seems angry even. Notes I detected: ginger, incense(?), spices probably cardamom, cedar(?).

Referring to the 'cheatsheet' later I read the official notes: birch tar, ginger, vetiver, cardamom, leather, Egyptian mimosa. I don't get the leathery aspect and that's probably why I missed the birch tar altogether. To my nose it smells more like sharp dry cedar, sharpened further by ginger and incense. Zero floral on my skin. ASKEW feels uber-masculine and aggressive, and I fear its rather spiky countenance is likely to rub people off the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    I just read about their next release, it's called Bosque. Featured notes are: primrose, narcissus absolute, buffalo grass, musks, grapefruit, vetiver, saffron. It's supposed to evoke images of pale yellow, and according to the Scented Salamander, "the composition wants to interpret the ancient mythological motif of the sacred bosk or grove, a place symbolizing happiness and peace and serving as a sanctuary to the Gods." I wasn't overly impressed with Eau Radieuse, but I'm not going to lie, this sounds good.
    I tried a sample of BOSQUE and to me it's the most enjoyable out of Humiecki & Graef's lineup. If there is a chance to get a full bottle at a discounted price, I would not hesitate to buy one. I can't stop smelling my arm.

Humiecki & Graef Askew Eau de Toilette Concentrée
    *notes- birch tar, cardamom, soft leather, ginger, grapefruit, vetiver, Egyptian mimosa
    ~This to my nose hits you with Birch, Cardamom and Ginger...all in the top notes. This makes the top sharp and dry. The top last about 30 min, then blends into Mimosa, Grapefruit and Soft Leather...which gives this a texture like the drink Hypnotic. This heart smells just like Hypnotic..without cognac. The heart blends into the Vetiver and Cedar which gives this a sharp, dry and soft base. This is a classic men’s scent deconstructed or reversed*meaning*A classic men scent is a 80% calone with sprinkles of leather, cardamom and vetiver. This is 80% of the leather, cadamom and vetiver with a sprinkle of calone. You do the math.
    Last edited by megatropolis; 17th May 2010 at 11:30 PM.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Humiecki & Graef Geste Eau de Toilette Concentrée
    *soft amber, musk, soft violet petals, soft fir resin
    ~I cant tell whats up from whats down in this fragrance. The topnotes are go all the way to the base....they just pick up a few hitchhiker notes along the way. First spray you can smell Musk and Soft Fir Resin. Then 30 min the same bread gourmand(Soft Violet Petals) that is in Bleeker St Bond No 9 come in the mix. Then maybe a hour Soft Amber make all these notes come to together. As a kid I used to love Voltron...this scent is like Voltron, all of these notes are Excellent solo. But...when they all come into a whole..these notes are Spectacular
    *I think the musk contributes to the fresh linen feel of the scent. The Soft Violet Petals contributes to the baked goods. Soft Fir Resin contributes to the realistic clean animal qualities.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Humiecki & Graef Multiple Rouge Eau de Toilette Concentrée
    *cinnamon bark, frozen orange note, green pineapple, immortelle absolute, vietnamese cilantro, green violet, peach kernel, ozonic red berries
    ~Whoa..they put all the fruits on the top. Strawberry is the emphasis..and it seems like they tried to build other fruits around it. The fruit salad fights for the attention with the Ozonic Red Berries for the top notes...which gives this a metallic fruit feel AKA Space Fruit. The heart is a angry Green Violet turned all the way to 10..mix with Vietnamese Cilantro, Cinnamon Bark and Immortelle Absolute. The rest of this scents life stays pretty much green and spicy..good news..it has a volume button..and turns it down to a 5. No woods listed...I dont know what I smell in the base....mystery wood..
    *This scent smells like a strawberry pop tart, dropped into space grass that resmembled mugler cologne. The rest is too weird to describe.
    Last edited by megatropolis; 18th May 2010 at 12:39 AM.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Hey Mega-T, I enjoyed reading your reviews and await your take on the other H&G releases - Clemency, Bosque.

Unfortunately, luckyscent.com or theperfumedcourt.com does not carry Bosque or Clemency...So I have to wait until they get it in stock to do those reviews. I really want to try them tho..
    Im the be$t @ thi$

So will you be buying any of these?

Basenotes Institution

Multiple Rouge sounds fan-tastically weird. Can't wait to smell it!

My bottle of Geste is coming tomorrow...My first purchase from luckyscent.....YAY
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Multiple Rouge sounds fan-tastically weird. Can't wait to smell it!
    Very weird..Very good..When you get a chance to test it let me know!!
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Thank you *so* much, megatropolis! I have been very curious to read reviews of these, and you heeded the call.

Yup. Gotta support weird perfumers. Like mad scientists, they've seen the future.

(remember the releases of Le Feu and Angel... and their initial reception)
    I am operating within established parameters. How are you?

I dig non-conventional scents. Christophe Laudamiel is a mad scientist….and he has my undivided attention. I will cover the rest of the line as soon as I can. I encourage everyone to give these a try at least once. Thanks for reading my reviews.
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Geste is my favourite out of this line, but like most others it's somewhat weird and for sure you shouldn't buy it blind.
    Bosque is a warm and cozy fragrance; if you like L'Artisan's Bois Farine, this one should be right up your alley.

Multiple rouge feels like you are under a fruit punch waterfall full of pineapple,appricot and berries,it makes you smile.It also has a good longevity.I can't wait to test the samples I ordered few days ago : Askew and Clemency!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    Geste is my favourite out of this line, but like most others it's somewhat weird and for sure you shouldn't buy it blind.
    Bosque is a warm and cozy fragrance; if you like L'Artisan's Bois Farine, this one should be right up your alley.
    I agree..Geste is the best, so far. I just got my bottle today. I do plan on getting Askew and Multiple Rouge in the future
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Quote Originally Posted by megatropolis View Post
    1.Askew
    2.Geste
    3.Multiple Rouge
    I have tried all of them. Askew is a nice fragrance, but for men. Geste is beautiful, one of my favorites. Multiple Rouge is a beautiful rose, really very nice, although a little too strong. Then, there is Clemency, also very interesting scent. Scarb is a fragrance for men.

Ohhhh, I'm jealous. I want Geste. It's unisex, and it smells wonderful on my skin.

I wore Geste the other day....one of my fav in my collection...I think its worth the price...I wouldnt mind if it was cheaper tho...
    Im the be$t @ thi$

Megatropolis, do you still like Geste?

I just wanted to buy a full bottle at Luckyscent. It is sold out.
    "See a shoe, and pick it up, and all day long you'll have good luck." by A. W.

Skarb is amazing, and I really really don't get why it doesn't get more love here. It's not nearly as weird as people say. Sure, it's not a simple crowd pleaser, but I've got nothing but compliments while wearing it and it's one of my girlfriends favorites on me. It's anything but linear, too. It starts with a very very realistic and natural lemon note, fades into a grassy, slightly salty (a saltwater-like note) heart that has shades of yellows, greens and browns present, and dries down to a wonderful woody incense with hints of lemon (just like real frankincense resin does when burned).

The scent is 20% concentration (it says so on the packaging) so you are getting your moneys worth. It also has the shortest ingredients list I've ever seen and it lists none of the usual synthetics (ie lyral, lilial, etc.) I am quite sure a lot of naturals are used (natural lovage and natural myrrh, for starters), and the lack of synthetics on the ingredients list does lend credence to such a notion. Of course, just smelling it lends more credence to the idea!

This is a niche line that knows what it is to be niche. They really are doing something different, and they are doing it quite well. Basenotes, as a whole, should reward this kind of thinking and behavior by at least going out and sampling their offerings. I think you'll be impressed!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I think that people have been tough on Humiecki & Graef because of their bogus ad copy--but how fair is that?

I think that Multiple rouge is a strange leathery/fruit combo. Unique, though it won't make it into my rotation.

Eau Radieuse, on the other hand, could. It is an effervescent rhubarb/fruit scent that creates a unique and refreshing fragrance in keeping with my clime (Sweden).
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post

This is a niche line that knows what it is to be niche. They really are doing something different, and they are doing it quite well. Basenotes, as a whole, should reward this kind of thinking and behavior by at least going out and sampling their offerings. I think you'll be impressed!
    I totally agree with you! This is an amazing niche house, and in my opinion it is underrated. I don't know why. This house deserves more attention than it received. I have tested everything except Bosque. Amazing! But I do prefer Geste as my favorite. If somebody knows where to purchase Geste in the USA, please let me know. It is sold out at Luckyscent.

Geste smells exactly like you might want your fresh laundry to smell. Clean, crisp with a very light floral violet mixed with fir resin and white musks. This is a Gendarme or Puro Lino type of smell. It is slightly feminine from the violet but is very fresh too. This is a very difficult fragrance to describe because all the notes lead into each other so effortlessly. I use it as a room spray sometimes and it is also good on bed linens.

I've been dreaming of purchasing Bosque for a long time now but I can't find a seller in the US. I might have to just take the plunge and order from overseas.

I have been curious about this house as well. I wrote to them inquiring about samples, but they were not willing to pass anything along. I'll get around to ordering some samples (eventually).

Seems like a rather unknown house would want to distribute samples but, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    I've been dreaming of purchasing Bosque for a long time now but I can't find a seller in the US. I might have to just take the plunge and order from overseas.
    It seems we have to order at www.ausliebezumduft.com. This is a great shop with fantastic customer service, but I do prefer to buy perfumes in the USA.

I'm really interested in Bosque, too. If anyone gets a bottle and wants to sell/trade some of it, let me know!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Huh, I just ordered a full bottle of Geste. (It was on my wish list for months). I also requested a sample of Bosque (the only one I haven't tried). Now I have to be patient and wait...

(P.S. I am always open for swapping a decant.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mondamin View Post
    It seems we have to order at www.ausliebezumduft.com. This is a great shop with fantastic customer service, but I do prefer to buy perfumes in the USA.
    I agree with you. However, the shipping charges for shipping to US are quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondamin View Post
    Huh, I just ordered a full bottle of Geste. (It was on my wish list for months). I also requested a sample of Bosque (the only one I haven't tried). Now I have to be patient and wait...

(P.S. I am always open for swapping a decant.)
    Congrats! I am quite curious about that one. The only H&G fragrance I have tried is Skarb, which I ended up getting a bottle of because I found it for sale, brand new and unopened, for < $100. Woot!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Congrats! I am quite curious about that one. The only H&G fragrance I have tried is Skarb, which I ended up getting a bottle of because I found it for sale, brand new and unopened, for < $100. Woot!
    I really like Skarb, but it is far too masculine for me (I am a woman, LOL). I still have an official sample of Askew and Clemency (this one is great, but it could be too feminine for you). Multiple Rouge is interesting, but too fruity for me. And I will get Geste... (If you have something interesting in exchange, we can swap )

@Isp-NY, well, yes, the shipping is pretty expensive, but you get its VAT (Mehrwertsteuer, if you know German--tax which is 20%) back. It cost me around $200 incl. shipping, which is less than at Luckyscent. It is not that bad.

Mondamin - let us know what you think of Bosque when you get your sample. It is H&G's least challenging fragrance and some might dismiss it because of this. It is very sunny yellow, in my opinion. Will reconsider ordering from First-in-Fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just tried Askew. My first impressions: astringent, herbal, kinda harsh. Seems angry even. Notes I detected: ginger, incense(?), spices probably cardamom, cedar(?).

Referring to the 'cheatsheet' later I read the official notes: birch tar, ginger, vetiver, cardamom, leather, Egyptian mimosa. I don't get the leathery aspect and that's probably why I missed the birch tar altogether. To my nose it smells more like sharp dry cedar, sharpened further by ginger and incense. Zero floral on my skin. ASKEW feels uber-masculine and aggressive, and I fear its rather spiky countenance is likely to rub people off the wrong way.
    That's pretty much how I feel about it too now that I've resampled it. I get the mimosa briefly in the opening - it's nice and smooth and joins with a (at the time) sweet grapefruit. This quickly warms up as cardamom joins the fray and the grapefruit begins to show its sulfurous side. There is an iron-like note here, too, and I get a blood-like accord in the heart. The odd thing is there's still a cool menthol sheen here - the coldness of revenge that fuels the smoldering heart. Dry cedar, sharp ginger and cardamom, and the metal shavings/iron note persist into the drydown and make this spiky and rough. Askew sends a clear message - "Do NOT cross my path!"

It's artistically interesting, but unless I was angry all the time - or a true misanthrope - I'd never use more than a couple of milliliters. I'm considering a small decant though. There are days when this is the perfect scent.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!