Code of Conduct

Default what are some fragrances in between designer fragrances and drug store products that you like?

let me try to explain. i'm thinking of the kiehls stuff, mr taylor, body shop, l'occitane, even marks and spencer. would be nice if they were cheaper than designer stuff but some aren't. it would definitely be nice if it they are on par in quality but they don't have to be either. just good enough for you.

dunno why i thought of taylors in this category but left out trumpers and trufitt. perhaps because they carry too many scents.

Default Re: what are some fragrances in between designer fragrances and drug store products that you like?

I'd like to know which frags are "drug store" and which aren't. I have a feeling that most Dana/Coty/Jovan stuff is, and the reason is that they are either cheapened versions of frags that used to be good, or else they are cheap (ingredients) and thrown together quickly, meaning that not much testing went into them. For me, a designer frag avoids smelling like really cheap ingredients were used and has been tested to some reasonable degree, so that it's got some subtlety (unless that is not what is being sought, as in Yatagan, which is "good" for other reasons, even if you don't like it personally). Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. So, I don't really know how a frag can fit in between. It can be a "drug store" that is better than most, or it can be a "designer" that is worse than most. Also, how do we know how much the ingredients cost or how much research was used, and how talented the perfumer was (unless they tell us who it was, which is not always the case). I have thought of Everlast Original 1910 as in between, but that's because I don't understand how a sporting goods company can make a frag and expect it to be taken as seriously as a designer's frag. I do think EO 1910 is "designer quality," however (not necessarily with the ingredients of a Chanel, though).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th March 2010 at 01:59 AM.

Default Re: what are some fragrances in between designer fragrances and drug store products that you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I'd like to know which frags are "drug store" and which aren't. I have a feeling that most Dana/Coty/Jovan stuff is, and the reason is that they are either cheapened versions of frags that used to be good, or else they are cheap (ingredients) and thrown together quickly, meaning that not much testing went into them. For me, a designer frag avoids smelling like really cheap ingredients were used and has been tested to some reasonable degree, so that it's got some subtlety (unless that is not what is being sought, as in Yatagan, which is "good" for other reasons, even if you don't like it personally). Of course, there are plenty of exceptions. So, I don't really know how a frag can fit in between. It can be a "drug store" that is better than most, or it can be a "designer" that is worse than most. Also, how do we know how much the ingredients cost or how much research was used, and how talented the perfumer was (unless they tell us who it was, which is not always the case). I have thought of Everlast Original 1910 as in between, but that's because I don't understand how a sporting goods company can make a frag and expect it to be taken as seriously as a designer's frag. I do think EO 1910 is "designer quality," however (not necessarily with the ingredients of a Chanel, though).
    I am thinking along the lines of Wal-mart, which markets some old frags and some celebuscents (Charlie, Hally Berry, Juicy Couture, Curve, Chantilly, Navy). I would put this in the same category.

I would not, however, include Kiehl's, Truefitt nor Trumper simply because of the higher price.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I guess my point is that I don't know what is "in between." I've heard that the cost of even expensive frags is very little, but that does not take into account the skill of the perfumer or the amount of research/testing that was done. And then there are the "super cheapos" that I really enjoy, including some of the Cuba frags. And many designer frags have that dusty, "synthetic"/metallic, woody/amber note that I've come to dislike (along with many other BNers). To me, "drug store" frag conjures up an image of a harsh/poorly balanced frag with a an un-natural aspect to it, as if the people buying it will think to themselves, "gee, this is powerful so it must be good" (and won't notice the things about it that people like us might dislike).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 16th March 2010 at 03:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I have thought of Everlast Original 1910 as in between, but that's because I don't understand how a sporting goods company can make a frag and expect it to be taken as seriously as a designer's frag. I do think EO 1910 is "designer quality," however (not necessarily with the ingredients of a Chanel, though).
    I know I saw Original 1910 on the shelves of Sephora back when it was released.
    I refuse to sink.

I'm surprised to hear that Sephora stocked it, since the packaging is rather uninspired and there is no designer name on it. I wonder what kind of research went into how to market it.