Code of Conduct

Default Looking for an oceanic accord using naturals?

I'm trying to get a salty, sea breeze accord. Bitter and salty and seaweedy. Like a windy walk on the beach after the storm. I'm successfully making some horrible, stagnant, pondwatery niffs so far, being such a beginner. I don't have any aromachemicals.

Has anyone any suggestions I can try?

Default Re: Looking for an oceanic accord using naturals?

I've yet to smell a successful all-natural aquatic... Even using seaweed absolute, the effect is distinctly pond-watery. I think you might have to journey to the synthetic side for this note!

You could try to sample Brezza di Mare by i Profumi di Firenze as this manages to capture the salty airy freshness of a pristine sea breeze. It's an excellent fragrance.

millesime imperial and virgin island water by creed

Neither Creed is 100% natural, I think that's what the original poster is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    millesime imperial and virgin island water by creed

All natural aquatics are really difficult to try and create, but if you just do NOT want to use any synthetics, you could try this simple blend, or modify this to your taste:

1 part costus
    1 part chaste tree (vitex agnus castus)
    2 parts petitgrain
    2 parts lavender
    1/4 part galbanum absolute tinc. (the amount all depends on the strength of your tincture)

I thinks this really creates quite a nice aquatic, salty, seaweedy accord. Try a small blend first, and see what you think. Good luck!
    Last edited by Nymphaea; 11th May 2010 at 04:27 PM.

Neither Creed mentioned smells like a sea breeze

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Neither Creed mentioned smells like a sea breeze
    sea salt in millesime imperial, even erolfa could pull it off.

Thank you so far. I shall attempt to smell those if they are available and not too niche. I mixed the last three ingredients with EO's I have in that mix to see what they smelt like, but didn't have the first two. I can see where that is going but am not familiar with the first two smells yet. So I tried 2 spike lavender, 2 petitgrain, 1 galbanum (diluted), then tried 1 cabreuva which sort of gave it a nuance but was too earthy, so then tried 1 of sharper wintergreen.

So it now smells like a walk by earthy pine woods.....quite nice, fresh and masculine as a smell in its own right. A nice man smell on a hot day. I shall save that for later.

I went to a Thai supermarket and I have bought some dried seaweed to smell it. It is completely different, very sharp, briny, full on ozone and a hint of fishy. I shall attempt to make a tincture and see what it does before my young son eats it all. (Very nice dried and salty, but we didn't like it cooked...too rubbery for our western tastes). I also got some star anise, some cinnamon, some galandrel and some dried mushrooms. I shall tincture all of them in tiny bottles to see what happens. I quite like the more gentle smells of tinctures.

It makes it more of a challenge to try mixing one of the hardest accords. The salty accord question set me off. Chemicals?... just don't fancy going that way, can't afford them all and there is plenty enough to do with naturals for now.

I believe the salt accord in Sel de Vetiver was achieved using lovage, iris, and salicylates (likely the ones found in spearmint oil). Perhaps that combination will work. It's not oceanic per se, but I doubt you will be able to create the true smell of ocean without synthetics. Never say never and perhaps this impressionistic salt accord will bring you a step closer to what you seek. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Some more oils to look into:

santolina
    rosewood and/or ho wood (high in linalool)
    clary sage
    oakmoss absolute
    lime oil, steam distilled
    iris absolute
    blue cypress (kind of a salty woody note)
    haitian vetiver (salty,grassy)
    opoponax (musky,dry wood, slightly sweet)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Thank you. I shall look for those. I am still waiting on a batch of 20 oils from e-bay bought in April, they either didn't send them or they got hijacked on the way. It is quite unusual for packages to go missing but I suppose something bad has to happen now and again. I can't remember what I ordered now. I actually have some white lovage in the garden, I shall go and smell it.