Code of Conduct
    Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Shipping perfumes via air highly restrictive yet airlines have been selling perfumes inflight...

Am I the only one who finds the whole situation somewhat ridiculous...?
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th March 2010 at 02:03 PM.

Default Re: Shipping perfumes via air highly restrictive yet airlines have been selling perfumes inflight...

I believe cargo ships do not pressurize their hulls as do commercial flights. Or not as much.

Which airlines are selling perfumes mid-air?

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Default Re: Shipping perfumes via air highly restrictive yet airlines have been selling perfumes inflight...

I used to work as a buyer for a big commercial airline and inflight sale items often include perfumes. Add the bottles of liquor and champagne on board, yet they're going apeshit over flammable stuff in the cargo hold. LOL. Btw airlines always have room to carry mail and other cargo in their cargo space below deck... Nvm, forget that, jet fuel itself is highly flammable. Ah, the absurdity of it all...

Do the airlines regulate transport of flammables, or is it just the postal services?

I know they limit carry-ons of flammable liquids, but if you check in your bags bottles of cologne is that allowed?

Perhaps there is a disconnect between airline rules and postal regulations.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It must have been the multitude of mid-air fires caused by bottles of sealed fragrance auto-exploding

Postal Safety Regulation = Oxymoron
    Last edited by kbe; 16th March 2010 at 04:11 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

meh, it's the illusion of control. and insurance/ass-coverage (well at least we had a system in place)
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I have no idea of the vagaries of the North American / Canadian and it seems Danish (?) postal regulations, all of which seem to be causing strife for members, but I think the travel thing is about airlines being able to 'safely identify' liquids. On trips round Asia customs take a very close interest in a bottle of perfume / edc in hand carry, and will also open a check-in bag from time to time to look at a bottle showing up on the X-Ray in a toiletry bag. And yet, once you get thru customs you can stock up on as much duty free perfume as you want and take it on the plane then buy some more in-flight if you fancy. The only logic I can see here is that individuals might hand carry or pack 'suspect' or 'poorly sealed' liquds, but if it's bought from a shop on the plane side or in-flight it's packed and 'safe'. OK - fair enough - if a little annoying. But try to carry an open plastic bottle of water onto the plane (along with your recently purchased sealed bottles of Guerlain Homme and whatever) and you will be asked to 'deposit' the bottle of water in the rubbish bin. Go figure . . . I can't.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

yeah, it drives some of us postal...if you know what I mean. I'm not even convinced if airline security personnel will be able to identify a bomb-making component even if it's staring at them in the face! Now that they are focusing so much attention on carry-on liquids, clever bombers may find it easier to smuggle non-liquid explosives on board. I have no idea how this ridiculous rule gets the approval in the first place. It seems very short on logic and risks creating a placebo effect and complacency within aviation security. As Master-Classter pointed out earlier - 'control' is more of an illusion...but if I may add, the resultant 'pain in the ass' feels all too REAL.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th March 2010 at 05:07 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Thread: Shipping perfumes via air highly restrictive yet airlines have been selling perfumes inflight...

Ahha..perhaps knocking out any competition is part of the airline plan?
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

I don't think this problem has anything to do with terrorism or the current state of red alert around the world, because it's always been very difficult shipping frags to and from overseas. At the end of the day, all this BS (and it is BS, for the many reasons stated earlier in the thread) the airlines and postal services feed us probably boils down to nothing more than geographical unit price, costs and taxes.

Bah!

Things are ridiculous any more! Around Christmas, I went to ship a bottle of Bond No. 9 Bleecker St. to a friend whom I bought it for when Bond had their special running. Long story made quite brief, FedEx told me that it was a hazmat item and that I was not allowed to post perfume because the alcohol was flammable and made it a dangerous good. I told them I thought this was ridiculous as people routinely ship bottles of 151 rum and perfume through the mail all the time, with n'er a tragedy to tell. Sadly, they didn't let me ship it even though it was going in state!

Airlines have been selling in-flight perfumes since at least the 1960s.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Plus

I was told by a US Postal employee that I could not ship my perfume because it might blow up the plane. I took the package to the nearest non govt shipping service and mailed it. I am now a criminal in the eyes of the law. Yes, the absurdity of it all.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

In the UK its the same. Yes even within the UK to post/ship perfume is not allowed by Royal Mail. I got caught some time ago going to a main post office(not my local one), was asked what was in the package? Now usually this is to see if you want to send it by special or recorded incase lost. I said bottle of perfume(it was a swap), you cannot post perfume I was told. Walked to another post office and when asked said it was a bottle of foundation.

Harrods refused to send me a bottle of Caron En Avion extract once. Due to the courier not being able to cross water. Didn't know they used vampires? The water in question is a small sea the Irish one which is not even that wide I would class it as a straight actually. I mean I can go from Belfast to Scotland by ferry in an hour and a half and the time is really take up by avoiding the rocks. Flying to London takes I believe under an hour.

I am a long standing criminal in this department, breaking the law by shipping to many countries over the years and lying on the customs form.

The thing is, department stores within the UK do post out perfume to customers without a problem. Oh and its Royal Mail they use too.
    DONNA