Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Question BESPOKE PARFUMERS? or BESPOKE PARFUMERIES?

I just finished reading a book by Celia Lyttelton entitled The Scent Trail. She introduced me to the concept of a "bespoke fragrance" (just one of many things I am learning about as a newcomer to this field of human enjoyment).

Before I posted this subject as a new thread I took the time to do a search on this phrase on site. I did find some threads, interviews, and articles about the bespoke process, but they didn't really answer some of my questions and some of them were fairly old, going back to 2007. Also it appeared to me that most parfumers/parfumeries that do this sort of custom work were/are in Europe (the U.K. in particular). Whereas I am in the States.

Given all of this I decided it would not be repetitious to start a new thread on this subject of personalized, custom perfumes, which seem to go by the name of "bespoke fragrances". (I don't know the derivation of this word "bespoke" and why it is used, I just saw that Ms. Lytttelton used this word for the process used to make her a custom, personalized perfume).

Okay. Now, given what I have learned thus far as a newcomer to the world of fragrances, and in particular here on Basenotes, it seems to me that this bespoke approach might be really neat to try. I was impressed by the process that Ms. Lyttelton went through (and which resulted in her book). The parfumer who did her fragrance spent alot of time getting to know Celia before she even began to put together the "recipe". (It wasn't done while she 'went and had coffee' like happened with one poster on this subject).

My thought is that I can continue to spend time researching various commercially prepared scents, seeking one (or more) with which I resonate, but then there is this alternate approach whereby one just "cuts to the chase" and has their own made for them! It seems so much more interesting. One can learn more about basenote fragrances, essential oils, and the like this way, going from the ground up. And then wind up with something that really "is uniquely you".

If there are any Americans who have had a custom made fragrance designed for them by an American parfumer I'd like to hear about it; especially if done recently. And thereby also get the names of some parfumers who offer this service. Also, it sounds like a really cool cottage business too!

Default Re: BESPOKE PARFUMERS? or BESPOKE PARFUMERIES?

There are a few in my area. Off the top of my head Aftelier (Mandy Aftel), Yosh Han, Lord's Jester...I'll add the others as they come to me. 1rst 2 are in the SF Bay Area. They have perfume lines, but they will also do custom scents. I smelled one that Mandy did for Madonna! I can't afford to have a custom scent made for me at this time.
    * Velvet and Sweet Pea's, Sarah Horowitz, and Evalux as well as DSH I'm not sure, but possibly. They're all natural or mostly natural perfumers. A Canadian perfumer who I would love to have a custom scent from is Ayala Moriel. I love her point of view.
    Last edited by Kalynne; 12th March 2011 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Adding perfumers

I'm not sure where you live, but you should Google "custom perfumes" and enter your city. Bespoke means custom made, in American. I'm familiar with the book. The author was interviewed by Rick Steves', the travel writer, on his radio show (iTunes.)

My husband just found a site this morning that will do custom fragrances. We are planning a trip to Phoenix, AZ the end of this month, and there is a place in Chandler called The Perfumerie that will do a consultation that results in a made-to-order fragrance. (I have no affiliation to this place, by the way.) This sounds like fun, and I'm considering visiting while I'm there. It's not cheap, but the idea of something made just for me is very appealing.
    If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I think it would be an interesting experience although an expensive one. Just beare in mind that often when people start to get into fragrances its always a process of trial and error (elimination) but during this timely process you may get several close calls to what maybe referred too as your "signature" scent (holy grail) but in reality your tastes get refined along this timely process and evolve to another level. So it can be arguable as to the "bespoke effect' being defined as "of that moment at that time".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kalynne View Post
    I'm not sure where you live, but you should Google "custom perfumes" and enter your city. Bespoke means custom made, in American. I'm familiar with the book. The author was interviewed by Rick Steves', the travel writer, on his radio show (iTunes.)
    I live in Spokane WA. I did a google search on that term and bespoken but wanted to see what Basenote members might say...again thanks for your reply.