Code of Conduct

Default Where do you keep your wardrobe?

Hi

I've been keeping my bottles on a shelf in my bathroom but read recently that high humidity might harm the quality and longevity of the scents.
    As i've paid a lot of money for these bottles i want them to smell as good as when i first bought them.
    So BN'rs where do you keep yours? Bedroom? In their original boxes? In a draw/cabinet? Bathroom etc...

Any advice on whether the humidity issue is a problem also welcome.

Default Re: Where do you keep your wardrobe?

I keep mine in a dark cupboard.

It'll be interesting to see the responses to this as I'm a bit worried about the summer. Hope my bottles don't get wrecked, I'll be gutted!

In dark, cool, dry, but not refrigerated, closed spaces.

In my wardrobe...

dark and cool (relatively)
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

On my dresser in the bedroom. It's a fairly dark room facing north so there is little sunlight and the temperature is stable.

About the bathroom: I wouldn't worry about humidity as much as fluctuating temperatures. The perfume is in a closed glass bottle so the occasional 100% humidity is unlikely to interact with the perfume. Bright lights and frequent temperature changes, however, are big problems.

Mine stay in their boxes closed up in a cabinet. I've had very little problem with fragrances going bad.

The ones I use regularly stay on my dresser and those less often in containers in a closet.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Mine stay in their boxes closed up in a cabinet. I've had very little problem with fragrances going bad.
    Exactly. I do not throw away the boxes - and I see no reason to "display" them.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I keep mine out of the box (box kept in storage). I do this because I find something about the bottles shape and design rather beautiful, and I'd prefer to see it sparkling away than all boxed up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In dark, cool, dry, but not refrigerated, closed spaces.
    I'm the same as Ken. My full bottles are in my dressing room cabinet (away from the humidity of the actual bathroom. The samples and decants I keep in by dresser drawer. I'd love to leave them out to look at, but I figure it's best to keep them out of the light as much as possible. For me it's more about the fragrance than the bottle or showing off the collection.

Always in my wardrobe, back in their own boxes. I never keep anything out, not even samples.

a dedicated shelf in my wardrobe...

My perfumes are kept in their boxes on several shelves in a dark, air conditioned walk-in closet. Even so, I have had some 'turn' from time to time - but rarely.

reine

In my wardrobe, dark and relatively small changes in temperature. The boxes are stored separately.

I keep them in a drawer, away from my windows.

The oils in the bottles react badly to light and to extreme temperatures; so you want to keep them slightly under room temperature: cupboards, drawers, or closets

I have a linen closet that is in a dark, dry, cool hallway... that's where I keep mine.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

On a bookshelf in a room in my basement. The room is always cool, even during the middle of summer. I go down there when I don't want to crank up the AC.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I see no reason to "display" them.
    But they are sooo pretty!

I have mine on display in my livingroom now,
    but I guess I will place them in a cupboard
    before summer..!

I would love to have all my bottles out for display but really dont want to risk spoiling them , so they are kept in their boxes on a shelf in my smelly corner of the bedroom

cool, dark, dry, dresser drawer lower to the floor where temp is cooler.

i check to make sure theyre cool by touching them to my lips
    i was keeping them under my bed where it was even cooler during winter... but moved them because they built up condensation on the outside when i pulled them out and played with them
    Last edited by Torx; 19th March 2010 at 09:24 PM.
    Forcing Memories into Everyones Brains One Fragrance at a Time.

Blog Entries

I keep mine in their boxes. My bottles are somewhat organized by season, so my cool weather fragrances are in a dresser drawer, while my warm weather and more commonly worn scents are on a shelf in my closet.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hillaire

I have a lovely Chinoisserie mirrored display cabinet, where I display my rare vintages and special ones.
    The rest stay in my dresser in my dressing room, boxed in the dark. With a rotation of one or two scents on the dresser top with matching cremes.
    Minis have their own dresser, a mini one .

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    The ones I use regularly stay on my dresser and those less often in containers in a closet.
    same.

It's a crime keeping frags in the bathroom. They're delicate.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Dark closet, several shelves, boxes stored separately. Love the way the collection looks, but too afraid of wrecking the fragrances with exposure to light, heat, and humidity.

I also keep the boxes.

About displaying... well, I do that with few very pretty bottles that I cared about a lot (and have nice memmories about moments when I weared it) after the perfume is gone.

With the ones with perfume in them, I never do this. Never put them where they can be seen, cause I hate people touching them, I feel they're an intimate secret of mine.
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

I keep mine in their boxes on the bottom shelf of my chifferobe!

Mine are in breadboxes (three and growing) with tilt-open lids, on a non-bathroom shelf. The lid minimizes light when closed (I hope; it's rather like the "does the fridge light really go off?" question), and makes it easy to access the bottles when opened. Most are out of their boxes.

Eva Pasco

I keep my treasures in a cabinet where they're secluded from sunlight.

I keep them in 4 different closets. I have 3 and my husband one. One closet is very big, I cleared it from my clothes and put them on several levels. The closets close with a door. Sometimes it is very hard to reach for the ones in the back of a level.

On a shelf of my dresser in the bedroom , its dark and the temperature is kinda constant . I keep them into their boxes and no i do not expose them , they are my treasures . I wouldnt like someone to ransack them .
    Kill all my demons and my angels might die, too (TW)

I display all of mine on my car dashboard. So pretty in the sunlight!

Kidding of course. I have a cupboard to store them in. Boxes kept separately somewhere else.

Unfortunately mine are in a less than ideal location. But I have yet to see one turn.

Quote Originally Posted by 201motels View Post
    Unfortunately mine are in a less than ideal location. But I have yet to see one turn.
    Whats the oldest cologne you've stored that way (how long does it take to go bad?)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenFreak View Post
    Mine are in breadboxes (three and growing) with tilt-open lids, on a non-bathroom shelf.
    what a great idea. perfect for those scents you want to be nearby- put on top of a piece of furniture, but still protected from light.
    Last edited by knit at nite; 29th March 2010 at 07:24 AM.

It's in a bedroom, under a raised piece of furniture with a dark, cool space under it, away from light and harm. Fairly easy to get in and out, and it keeps my fragrances fine.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

just not near A LOT of sunlight and heat. Sephora is a great example of how not to store them.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I keep my full bottles in a small fridge bought for the purpose, and decant into 5 ml. atomizers which I store in my dresser drawer (and tuck into my bag when I go out, or pack when traveling.)

I have a large double cupboard in my bedroom which is on an internal wall. I have recently decided to take them all out of their boxes and display them in the cupboard (into which I have installed extra shelving), so that when I open the cupboard I get this fantastic impact of all of them in their full bottled glory. The cupboard is dark (as dark as the box would be) and the room never gets hot - even in the summer. By doing this I get the best of both worlds. I've kept all the boxes though, in case I decide to sell any of them on Ebay.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

In a vault built into the basement of my home.

i keep mine on my dresser top now,formerly guilty of keeping in the bathroom open shelf . so far only a few samples have gone completly off.well the very top notes of lancomes aromatonic are a bit off but it is 1/2-2/3rds gone so air in the bottle may cause more damage .at is 10-15 years old.

In my bedroom on top of my dresser. Everything is neatly arranged.

I have a shelving setup on my computer desk. I just keep them on those shelves for now. I have a blanket on my bedroom window (I sleep during the day and work at night) so light is not an issue.
    Sell/Trade-- Issey Miyake(Summer '09)~Calvin Klein(One Summer '07 & '09)~Eau De Grey Flannel

Buy/Swap-- http://www.basenotes.net/threads/250...e-Want-Edition.

I keep my frags in a wooden armoire. It is away from any windows so there's no sunlight nearby. They are also stored in their respective boxes, although I really don't know if that makes a difference or not.