Code of Conduct

Default Malodorous/Foul Smelling Fragrances

Why?

Why would someone want to willingly wrap themselves in this type of scent? Lately here,and on other forums, I've been reading descriptions for niche items such as; humid, moldy, animal, decomposing, etc. I'm very new to the fragrance world so I obviously haven't smelled any of these items (aside from the decomposing deer in the creek in my backyard), so maybe they don't literally smell as such?

So tell me, why do you indulge? Genuinely curious. Thanks!
    Last edited by BrutalismX; 6th August 2012 at 11:49 PM. Reason: accidently a word

Banned

Default Re: Malodorous/Foul Smelling Fragrances

I am as curious as you inasmuch as many here like the primeval, sordid, animalic scents, the riper the better, so to speak.

&

Curious thread! I like to smell like a box of soap. Some like to smell like body odor.

Pretty new to this myself, but I am noticing that, in my limited experience, many of the more acerbic notes occur in the initial spray and mellow out as the scent progresses. Its also worth a mention that these notes are part of a complex melange. Its not like you are spraying yourself with eau de dead dog and that is the end of it. Some of the harsher notes could be there to temper what could otherwise be some cloyingly sweet elements of a fragrance. Possibly, scent to scent, IMHO, YMMV.

Also, age/experience is likely to be a factor. Whereas an older person may appreciate sipping a straight Lagavulin, a teenager is more likely to prefer his Jack Daniels as one fifth of a glass of coke. Neither one is the "correct" way to drink whisk(e)y. Personal taste is as valid as any other judgement. By the same token, if you are not clearing rooms or getting "Whats that horrible smell", then Kouros is probably as valid a choice as One Million.

Most of the time people are exaggerating and the frags that they are talking about are not that bad. There are some frags that smell really wild though. Most of the time they smell strong up close- urine, body odor, burnt human flesh.... but the sillage is actually very mild and smells nice.

Agree with the previous posters. Apart from the magnificent, unwearable Secretions Magnifiques, which is supposed by design to smell heinous, the others only contain notes that, in isolation and amplified, could appear bad, but in small doses in combination with the rest of the perfume, don't really smell like the descriptions you hear. There's really nothing that smells like a decomposing animal, poop, or urine.

In addition, experience also makes one more open to enjoy bolder perfumes. At the beginning, everything will smell potent or overbearing; as with food or drinks, stuff that appeared inedible at first becomes nice.

That said, there is a lot of variation in how people perceive certain notes. I tend to love many supposedly difficult scents, but others I find repugnant - simply, I am hypersensitive to some molecules. Everybody has his or her own "spots" (ie particular dislike for some note, and particular like for others).

cacio

I don't get it in the slightest, and I don't think I ever will.

Its not exactly as they say.

Yes hearing someone on the internet say I like wearing skanky, civet, fecal and pungent perfumes is akin to the smell of that decomposing deer. But I know in reality they are not the same.

Its a difficult one to explain. When you smell civet-based perfumes , you'll realize that its not the same as a decomposing cadaver or carcass. Hopefully you should never smell the former haha.

for swap/sale:

Because it smells good (to them). Sorry, it that answer is surprising :-)

Personally I don't wish to smell like soap as people might assume that I had a shower, using soap (do people still use soap?), and was too sloppy to wash myself down properly. I rather smell like a sexy, animalic manbeast or chocolate fudge.

Quote Originally Posted by Austere View Post
    Also, age/experience is likely to be a factor. Whereas an older person may appreciate sipping a straight Lagavulin, a teenager is more likely to prefer his Jack Daniels as one fifth of a glass of coke. Neither one is the "correct" way to drink whisk(e)y.
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that!

@BrutalismX, the truth is that fragrances don't literally smell like rot, excretions etc. They contain notes that evoke memories and associations and people try as best they can to convey these impressions. Also, some people simply exaggerate.
    That's not to say that some fragrances can't be repulsive or contain repulsive notes and everyone's perceptions of and reactions to these are different.

Animal products have long been used in perfumes to impart body, richness, and longevity to perfumes. From a technical standpoint, I believe their primary function has been to act as a stabilizing element. I enjoy the extra richness and fullness that these products add to the overall blend. They make a perfume smell luxurious. Animal notes tend to act as a glue or matrix, uniting all the other elements into a whole, something that ties the notes together. Most recent mainstream perfumes make little or no use of these elements, and their usage defines an earlier time of perfume manufacture, virtually the entire 20th century until the late '80s / early '90s, when fragrances moved into a lighter/fresher/cleaner world.Older perfumistas who are accustomed to classic fragrances, as well as many other fragrance lovers who desire something out of the boring mainstream, seek out unusual notes or fragrances which at least recall the sumptuousness and heady character of vintage perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    Most of the time people are exaggerating and the frags that they are talking about are not that bad.
    This

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I rather smell like a sexy, animalic manbeast or chocolate fudge.
    Russel, you smell fabulous!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Animal products have long been used in perfumes to impart body, richness, and longevity to perfumes. From a technical standpoint, I believe their primary function has been to act as a stabilizing element. I enjoy the extra richness and fullness that these products add to the overall blend. They make a perfume smell luxurious. Animal notes tend to act as a glue or matrix, uniting all the other elements into a whole, something that ties the notes together. Most recent mainstream perfumes make little or no use of these elements, and their usage defines an earlier time of perfume manufacture, virtually the entire 20th century until the late '80s / early '90s, when fragrances moved into a lighter/fresher/cleaner world.Older perfumistas who are accustomed to classic fragrances, as well as many other fragrance lovers who desire something out of the boring mainstream, seek out unusual notes or fragrances which at least recall the sumptuousness and heady character of vintage perfumes.
    Magistrally said!!! Nothing to add...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

mihailo

Since the market has become quite repetitive, I guess it is a matter of time before niche houses go back to seriously focusing on creating nasty smells. I, for one, am sick of smelling 'good'. I like horrible smells, but can't find such fragrances* :-(
    *please do not propose Secretions Magnifiques

Thank you all for the much educative responses received so far. I'm sitting here attempting to formulate a thought but need more time. I suppose I'll need to some day, when I'm ready, sample something like this. Any recommendations for us verdant members who may dare to indulge?
    Last edited by BrutalismX; 7th August 2012 at 08:03 PM.

Also - we all sometimes wear fragrances to feel sexy or luxurioussss etc... smelling of soap doesn't do that for me. If I met someone in a club or a bar for example, if they stunk of warm honey and cumin spices, or even upturned earth, I'd find that desperately sexy and far more attractive than someone smelling of clean lemon cologne or a soapy lavender...
    I love a challenging fragrance, becuase why smell ordinary?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrutalismX View Post
    Thank you all for the much educative responses received so far. I'm sitting here attempting to formulate a thought but need more time. I suppose I'll need to some day, when I'm ready, sample something like this. Any recommendations for us verdant members who may dare to indulge?
    Bal a Versailles & Kouros!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Take the bull by the horns, try Muscs Koublai Khan

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Absolue Pour le Soir
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

+1 Muscs Koublai Khan
    +1 Absolue Pour Le Soir

Also for something a bit easier to handle at first:
    L'Air Du Rien by Miller Harris
    Rien by Etat Libre D'Orange
    Intrigant Patchouli by Parfumerie Generale

All fantastic fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree on that!
    Well I know which one I prefer. But semi-sacrilegiously, I prefer it in an old fashioned glass rather than a snifter like tumbler. ATEOTD, if people drink what they like and like how they drink it, there's no good argument to be made against that. I expect uncle Jack would prefer people to drown his fine Tennessee sour mash in coke or dry and feel sophisticated instead of switching to sugary pre-mixes. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on the A'bunadh. Lovely drop.

Nice thread, Mr X. I've learned from it. I have to say, if you do go down the challenging-scent road, you've certainly got the right nickname for the job.

Try to find a bottle of the discontinued Ungaro Pour Homme II (usually known simply as Ungaro II). It's a fantastic powdery, citrusy fragrance with a huge amount of civet. Also give Guerlain Jicky a try.

I use to ask myself the very same question when I first started out (not too long ago). After trying so many things and broadening my palette, I find myself yearning for challenging scents that move me and offer something new.

And +1 to so many things already said in this thread.

I absolutely love MFK Absolue pour le Soir, even though I'm sure I would've detested it a year or two ago.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Also - we all sometimes wear fragrances to feel sexy or luxurioussss etc... smelling of soap doesn't do that for me. If I met someone in a club or a bar for example, if they stunk of warm honey and cumin spices, or even upturned earth, I'd find that desperately sexy and far more attractive than someone smelling of clean lemon cologne or a soapy lavender...
    I love a challenging fragrance, becuase why smell ordinary?
    Why smell like soap is ordinary? I know fabulous soaps!

Great suggestions already. There's not much in regular stores (unless you live in a big city with niche stores). Not too difficult to find, Kiehl's Original musk is an intro dirty musk that will get you acquainted with the genre (before you upgrade to the suggested Muscs Koublai Khan).

cacio

There are at least a few issues here. As some have said, there is an odd frag or two out there meant to smell "bad," but they are the exception. Secondly, what smells "good" or "bad" is at least partially dependent upon the culture in which you were raised. Third, if you are not a frag aficionado there may be no point to wearing or even sampling frags with strong animalic notes. It seems that there are only so many ways perfumers can create rich, complex, dynamic frags, one of which involves these kinds of notes. So, the point is that they allow for great variety, which not everyone wants. Also, what I've found is that after a while scents don't smell "bad" or "good." Instead, it's more about balance. Crap smells "bad" because it's unbalanced in favor of indoles or skatoes (I'm guessing skatoles, because I think indoles are the major player in "dirty jasmine"), but that is just based upon what I've read and smelled. After a while you become like Neo swallowing the red pill in The Matrix: you begin to live in a world most others are unaware exists.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 8th August 2012 at 10:46 AM.

In my opinion, after reading through your responses and from my limited experience in fragrances, it seems the "animalic/earthly/rancid/etc" scents invoke contemplation. As one grows and begins to understand what fragrance is, one can begin to understand these scents. This is not to say one may ever enjoy them, but appreciate them for what they are? Yes.

At the moment, the only way I can imagine this branch of the fragrance tree is through sexual attraction via the human's body smell. I distinctly recall volunteering with a woman, landscaping, and the scent was unforgettable. Nothing nice really. It was mud, dirt, standing water, mildew but it was also mixed with her sweat and whatever lotion/soap she used that day. I'm not sure what it was but it created emotions of familiarity, wrongness, and possibly taboo? The point is that it's too complicated to recall. Maybe I'm giving these fragrances too much credit but, that is where I'm at right now.

I appreciate all the suggestions but to truly give them the attention they deserve, I think I'll wait until I have a firm grasp on the basic concepts and theories of fragrances in general. Once I've built up my comprehension, I'll give them a run. Reading through some of the reviews and descriptions worry me.

I hope I didn't make any sweeping generalizations and if I did, my apologies. We are all here because fragrances mean something to us. Some of us are very green compared to others but the fact is we are here, attempting to understand scents. Good reading everyone!

Great thread BrutalismX. Not all descriptions are exaggerated honest! L'Artisan Dzing! is a perfect rendition of a none too clean elephant or hippo enclosure at a run down zoo. Warm, living pachyderm hide and piles and piles of elephant or hippo poo, steaming fresh vegetarian mammal dung.

I find it rank others pick up candy floss and hotdog circus smells along with the hide and poo and love it dearly. It must make L'Artisan money as it stays active in the range.

Nowt so queer as fowk as they say

What's more attractive clean soap or two sweaty bodies oozing post coital musky sweatiness , I know which I prefer

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    What's more attractive clean soap or two sweaty bodies oozing post coital musky sweatiness , I know which I prefer
    Hmmmm.... Depends if you're one of the couple surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    Hmmmm.... Depends if you're one of the couple surely?
    Haha, no you're the third one

Quote Originally Posted by forfreddie View Post
    Haha, no you're the third one
    Freddie! interesting thought for a fragrance.... Bed sheets a Trois?

No no I have it..... Secretions Magnifique Extreme