Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default Perfect Gift For The Man Who "Has Everything": A Challenge

Gentleman, I am hoping for some great suggestions for the perfect men's fragrance gift for a friend. We are celebrating next month, and he is a scent lover, and we like to exchange scents! He always nails mine, so I want to do it right this time.

He already owns:
    All the PGs he wants.
    All the Lutens he wants.
    All the Tom Fords, period.
    All the Jil Sander.
    Most of Eau d'Italie, Malle, and just a whole lot of miscellaneous niche.

His faves are Amouage Gold and Jubilation. He seems to be pretty niche attached; but he likes some stand out older designer scents, too: notably Santos, Jazz Prestige, and Givenchy Vetiver, Pour Monsieur, or the occasional flutter of Azzaro.

Re: Vintage: I have given him bottles of vintage Givenchy Gentleman and Phileas to ignite his vintage passions, but he rarely wears them. My most successful gift to him was a bottle of Cuiron.

The challenge: It should be under 100USD, preferably under 75USD, unusual, incredible, and new to him. I am considering New York, which he does not know, and MKK, which he does not have, but at a loss otherwise.

I look forward to your suggestions!

Default Re: Perfect Gift For The Man Who "Has Everything": A Challenge

Something by Comme des Garcons...2 Man, Sequoia, Avignon...15ml of something from Le Labo, maybe Patchouli 24, Tauer L'air du Desert Marocain, Alan Cumming...

Does he have any of the Acqua di Parma line? Their 50ml bottles come in just under 100 bucks. Sounds like he has a lot of heavy Lutens and Tom Fords, maybe some Colonia would do him some good!
    I refuse to sink.

Do you know if he has tried the new reissue of Aramis Havana? (and have you tried it?) Knowing he likes such complex, opulent frags like Jubilation and Gold, Havana would seem like a likely candidate!
    …and it retails for less than $50!
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

What? No Secretions Magnifique??

Go ahead and surprise him with something unwearable. Or something strongly feminine. Any scent lover worth his salt will be able to appreciate 'beauty' in its various manifestations.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 16th March 2010 at 05:17 PM.

PdN New York?
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

How about something "out there"? He has plenty of fragrances that he enjoys already, he might appreciate something that is just different. Sécrétions Magnifiques by Etat Libre d'Orange? Or another of their line, Charogne , Fat Electrician or Viegas et Toreros? Some people would avoid purchasing these because they may be seen as gimmicky, but that makes them perfect as a gift for someone like him, I think. And, he may just find that he enjoys one of them, as well, they do make some nice stuff.
    (Diamondflame just beat me to the punch!)
    Last edited by robpmgc; 16th March 2010 at 05:44 PM.

When i looked at the title, the only scent that came to my mind was Guerlain Derby, newer version. but thn, looking at his collection, it doesnt look like he'd like these kinda scents (Derby, NY)

Mudassir has Divine L'Homme Sage BNIB... i think it'd be a decent choice at that rate.
    Last edited by jenson; 16th March 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Why not a really good traditional cologne? If you think Acqua di Parma is a good choice, why not the best of the best--Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia?

Hillaire

WOW, great suggestions. I am intrigued by the Aramis Havana. I think he has all the cologney stuff he wants And the only Tauer he likes is Vetiver Dance, which is a consideration, in fact.

The Etats are interesting, indeed. I like them like a Post-Impressionism collector might appreciate the wit and talent behind Pop Art or Dada. I know he'd feel like I do. Grateful, but not thrilled.

He's a fan of Acqua di Biella, and I was thinking of Baraja, which I have not smelled. Hmmm....

The PdN New York is more and more appealing.

What about Balmain Ambre Gris. He likes Chergui; isn't that in the same vein?
    Last edited by Hillaire; 16th March 2010 at 05:43 PM.

Hillaire

Oh, and I think he has all the Villoresi he wants; he likes that line; I HATE it.
    He does not like Derby, I think -- I gave him a decant of vintage -- he yawned.

Divine L'Homme Sage is good. I am going to check it out!

Edit: The Divine is incredibly tempting.

I had a thought to also get Idole. Or PdE Ambre Russe.
    Last edited by Hillaire; 16th March 2010 at 05:51 PM.

dotn feel that Ambre Gris would keep his interest for long... another option would be Guerlain Cologne du 68... it's modernistic bottle with wooden cap and it's luxurious smell should make it an ideal gift... again, our Bner, strifeknot i think, has a BNIB of it, still packed in cellophane for $69.. steal !
    Last edited by jenson; 16th March 2010 at 06:15 PM.

Sur la Plage

PdN Patchouli Homme
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Well, everything I was going to suggest has already been suggested, with the exception of Rance - I received two Rance frags today (Francois Charles and Le Vainquer) and, I have to say, on a single sample spray (one on each wrist) I am MIGHTILY impressed. They are the only niche frags other than Diptyque Phylosykos that I've thought were worth the folding green.

He has Jil Sander Background?

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    He has Jil Sander Background?
    Yes, the only one he does not have is the New Jil Sander Man ABSOLUTE INTENSE , which I doubt I can get my hands on unless I hire a EURO buyer.

An outstanding cheapie like Bowling Green or Bogart Pour Homme
    Or like Ruggles said the other day i nthe Voyage D'Hermes thread, a high end refillable atomizer.

Was going to suggest Mazzolari Lui but your price constraints killed it.
    Nejma Puro maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Yes, the only one he does not have is the New Jil Sander Man ABSOLUTE INTENSE , which I doubt I can get my hands on unless I hire a EURO buyer.
    Oh you can get it . . . . but not sure you would want to.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Oh you can get it . . . . but not sure you would want to.
    I rather like it, in fact, I just sprayed myself with my sample; it's more of the men's answer to the Jil Sander Style for Women than it is realted tot he classic Jil Sander Man, which is sadly defunct. It's a top notch tobacooey suedey vanilla, though!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/220...solute-Intense

What don't you like about it? Where can I get it?
    Last edited by Hillaire; 16th March 2010 at 09:44 PM.

Picked mine up recently @ Jil Sander Boutique in Chicago.
    You might also want to check with the NY store.

Not that I don't like it .... it's just almost TOO sweet.
    Last edited by SoGent; 17th March 2010 at 01:19 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Picked mine up recently @ Jil Sander Boutique in Chicago.
    You might also want to check with the NY store.

Not that I don't like it .... it's just almost TOO sweet.
    I tried it at the Jil Sander boutique in Chicago - I didn't think much of it.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    Something by Comme des Garcons...2 Man, Sequoia, Avignon...15ml of something from Le Labo, maybe Patchouli 24, Tauer L'air du Desert Marocain, Alan Cumming...
    These sound good to me too. As for Le Labo, maybe Rose 31 - it's their most popular scent and it's quite unique.
    Sales thread here

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    These sound good to me too. As for Le Labo, maybe Rose 31 - it's their most popular scent and it's quite unique.
    That's exactly what came to my mind.

Hillaire

I like the Rose 31 suggestion; as for the patchouli, he has the Bois 1920 and the Les Nereides Patchoulis, and likes the Nicolai one, but I don't want to give him more patchouli just because he likes it.

I am leaning seriously towards a Nicolai, though. Maybe an obscure one even.

What about Nicolai suggestions? Nicolai Pour Homme? Vie de Chateau? Majaradjah?

As for the patchouli, he has the Bois 1920 and the Les Nereides Patchoulis, and likes the Nicolai one, but I don't want to give him more patchouli just because he likes it.
    It's not a patchouli scent, far from it.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi View Post
    It's not a patchouli scent, far from it.
    Le Labo's Patchouli 24 is not a patchouli scent?

No one's mentioned Annick Goutal yet, right? What about Encens Flamboyant? I think it comes in at budget and is quite a wonderful addition to the AG oeuvre. JHL, which is part of the Aramis reissues, is a real standout and at $45, who's complaining? You can always send him a bottle of Youth Dew and freak him out, I love Youth Dew bath oil as a fragrance.
    I find Ambre Gris to be very sticky sweet.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th March 2010 at 02:58 PM.

I am leaning seriously towards a Nicolai, though. Maybe an obscure one even.
    This is a great thread. You are fortunate to have a friend who enjoys fragrances as much as you.

If he hasn't had any exposure to Parfums de Nicolaï, I would start him off with her masterpiece, New York.

Three others to consider:

1. Chanel pour Monsieur (Not as easy to obtain as it sounds. The original version is still made and sold throughout the world, but it is not available in the United States. Only the Concentree version, which is not as good imo, is sold here. I had to buy mine off of fragrance e-tailers.)
    2. Guerlain Heritage (similar to New York.)
    3. Bois du Portugal (a little over budget but rich and opulent, unlike more recent Creed offerings.)
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 17th March 2010 at 07:12 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Tiffany for Men will hold its own in what i think is a great collection of a discerning gent.

I also add to suggestions of Jil Sander Man Pure. It has gravitas and its not as sweet as made out to be here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

30 ml New York and 16ml of this one below - you get a modern classic + something really unique (from the sound of it - certainly on my wish list!) and change from $ 100?

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/245...oup-Discussion

PS Looking thru there are some great suggestions here - one more vote for Lubin Idole . . . quite special.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 17th March 2010 at 01:16 PM.

How about a Montale? 50ml direct from Montale is about $75 (shipping is free if you order two - not sure how much for just one). Black Aoud, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Aoud Lime and Blue Amber seem to be real crowd pleasers!

Dependent

I had a thought to also get Idole. Or PdE Ambre Russe.
    I would fully back these 2.

Amouage Epic! The perfect scent for any man who already has everything!

In no particular order

Pdn New York
    Annick Goutal Sables
    Annick Goutal Ambre Fetiche
    Idole by Lubin
    L'air du desert marocain by Tauer
    Aramis Havana
    M7 (yes M7)
    Winter woods by Sonoma scent studio
    Encre Noire by lalique
    Cannabis santal

My suggestion would also be the PdE line.
    Ambre russe, Cuir Ottoman, Aziyade (especially since you are considering MKK).
    I think the 50ml bottles can be obtained for less than 100 $, cant they?

Hillaire

Thank you. Thank you!

I love so many of these!

I am indeed so lucky to have such a great best friend, Two Roads; we never bore each other!

I LOVE the Goutal idea and I am looking at them now. Sables is so cool.

Tiffany for Men is one of my FAVORITES! Can I find this affordably? I shall check!

The Montale is another I had not considered!

He actually has all the Guerlains, all the Chanels, the Czech and Speakes he wants, and all the Creeds (I forgive him the Creeds.), and the Aziyade and Cuir Ottoman.
    But I know he does not have Mazamba and Ambre Russe, which are great.

I am so attracted to Nicolai because he actually does not know them and loves her work for MDCI. What about New York AND Baladin or New York AND Nicolai Pour Homme?
    Last edited by Hillaire; 17th March 2010 at 03:08 PM.

Tiffany for Men is one of my FAVORITES! Can I find this affordably? I shall check!
    You can get it at a Tiffany Boutique, there seems to be one in every mall, or from their web-site. www.tiffany.com/ $55 for 1.7 oz. or $85 for 3.4 oz.

I third or fourth Tiffany. It's right in your price range, too.
    The Bark Bites Back.

I might be alittle late to this party but because Jubilation is one of his favorites the other Duchaufour incense fragrances might be worth checking out.
    Those are CdG Kyoto and Avignon, L'artisan Timbuktu, Dzongkha, Aedes de Venustas, and Eau D'Italie Paestum Rose.
    Another incense fragrnce worth considering is Costes 1.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Since you seem drawn to the PdNs, why don't you check out some of mrclmind's thread SOTD reviews on YouTube? After all PdN is one of his favorite houses.

Maybe not quite what you are after but these dawn spencer hurwitz sampler packs look so nice and come in lovely packaging ,
    its something I would love to receive myself anyways and come in at $50 each

https://www.dshperfumes.com/formen_pdba.asp?page=9

Sur la Plage

I don't think you can go wrong with PdN. I have New York, Nicolai pour Homme, Patchouli Homme, Maharadjah, and Vanilla Tonka - they are all winners IMO.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 17th March 2010 at 05:33 PM.

any of buxton's release
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów

If he likes Vetiver Dance he might like Micaleff Red Sea, there is a common note in those two and I love the latter.
    Nobile 1942 Patchouli is a very dry, earthy masculine patchouli
    Nobile 1942 Colonia Maxima is a stunning, very distinctive colonia with nothing citrusy or common. In fact it seems to have a cigarette smoke note that is worth having in any collection. He might also appreciate the fact that the bottles have the name of the owner hand written on the back and they are supposed to be mixed manually and left to mature in specially made vats.
    I would also suggest Idole but also Le Vetiver, on of my favourite vetivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Maybe not quite what you are after but these dawn spencer hurwitz sampler packs look so nice and come in lovely packaging ,
    its something I would love to receive myself anyways and come in at $50 each

https://www.dshperfumes.com/formen_pdba.asp?page=9
    I have been interested in this line for a long time but haven't dared exploring it yet. And yes, a set of samples is an idea any fragrance collector would appreciate.
    Last edited by cpk; 17th March 2010 at 09:41 PM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Since you seem drawn to the PdNs, why don't you check out some of mrclmind's thread SOTD reviews on YouTube? After all PdN is one of his favorite houses.
    I have watched them all (plus I love his reviews and I love PdNs women's scents and own five); he is most of why I am excited about PdN.

The Dawn Spencer Hurwitz pack is incredible; I love this idea, too. It is a great idea for a collector. Mandy Aftel and Ormonde Jane and MDCI offer similar enticements. SIGH!

BTW; he likes Duchafour and has all the EdI scents already, but I cannot STAND his scents, so won't gift them. Is Costes an incense? I just smelled PVC pipes, trash bags, vinegar and cinnamon. (SORRY! ~cringe~)

While I second Ambre Russe, have a look at Fougere Bengale, the problem that I have is finding them in 50ml bottles to keep the price down. PdN with 30ml bottles is great but if he likes a bit of drama Vanille Intense and Maharadja are better choices than New York.

Is Costes an incense? I just smelled PVC pipes, trash bags, vinegar and cinnamon. (SORRY! ~cringe~)
    It's supposed to be I think but you've pretty well summed it up yourself.

Cool Re: Perfect Gift For The Man Who "Has Everything": A Challenge

Malle, and just a whole lot of miscellaneous niche.

My most successful gift to him was a bottle of Cuiron.

MKK, which he does not have, but at a loss otherwise.

I look forward to your suggestions!
    Well. . .http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/30&t=wishlist&p=1&s=n
    Does he have Cuir d'Oranger by Malle? To me it's a kind of "super cuiron"
    I'd go with MKK over New York.

You've gotten some great suggestions already. Yes, Tiffany for Men is great but then again, so is Richard James.
    Have you smelled it?

Good luck Hillaire!

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 18th March 2010 at 05:12 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Hillaire

Oh, I could not afford a Malle, sadly!

No one has mentioned the classic English fragrances: Trumper's Eucris or Curzon, or the houses of D. R. Harris or Truefitt & Hill.

??

Rose 31 is a pretty safe blind buy and can be worn year round. Think spicy carrot soup sprinkled with sandalwood seasoning, served in a freshly sanded cedar bowl. The dry down is fantastic.