Code of Conduct

Default All natural body soap bar? Kirk's gives me a rash :(

I LOVE Kirk's Castile soap, how light it smells, how it lathers..everything about it. Except.. it gives me a BAD rash on my neck and makes my nipples sting badly for some reason.

I was thinking about Bronner (sp?) or Tom's, but those are pretty expensive.

What's an affordable body soap (preferably sold in bulk) that doesn't have synthetic detergents or strong smell? (unscented preferred).

I noticed DOVE has unscented varieties now, but still contain those synthetic ingredients and detergents.
    Last edited by G Man; 16th March 2010 at 07:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: All natural body soap bar? Kirk's gives me a rash :(

I recently started using old-fashioned soap, you know, as in actual bars of soap. Dr Bronner's lavender soap is one of those I've tried recently, and it's nice and seems really mild.

It's a nice luxurious retro feeling to handle bars of soap, and they seem to be really economical as well, compared to liquid soaps. I only use them in the shower though, it feels more practical to have a liquid hand soap by the sink.

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    I LOVE Kirk's Castile soap, how light it smells, how it lathers..everything about it. Except.. it gives me a BAD rash on my neck and makes my nipples sting badly for some reason. I was thinking about Bronner (sp?) or Tom's, but those are pretty expensive. What's an affordable body soap (preferably sold in bulk) that doesn't have synthetic detergents or strong smell? (unscented preferred). I noticed DOVE has unscented varieties now, but still contain those synthetic ingredients and detergents.
    Your skin irritation may be due to the coconut oil. As you know, all true soap is made from some kind of oil mixed with a base. In Kirk's case, it is coconut oil. Coconut oil has many good properties: It makes a hard bar of soap and it lathers well even in hard water. However, I have read that it can be too drying for some people's skin. That may be your problem. In addition to avoiding Kirk's, you may want to avoid any soap made with coconut oil.

You may find that Dr. Bronner's is a much better fit for you. Dr. Bronner's is truly castile soap because it is made with olive oil. I love the liquid soap version, by the way. It is more expensive than Kirk's, but it is the least expensive true castile soap that I have ever found. If you buy it in bulk, the price comes down a bit more.

Some place like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's would be a good place to look for alternatives. Just pay careful attention to the listed ingredients. I think that Trader Joe's has a private-label brand of vegetable oil soap that may be less expensive than Dr. Bronner's. If you do find a good alternative, please let us know. I am a bit of a soap junkie and I like to try new brands.

I just remembered one more brand. Shugar Soap Works (http://www.shugarsoapworks.com) makes fantastic soap under a variety of labels. They are all 100% vegetable oil based, and organic. They are extremely difficult to find, but extremely inexpensive, about a dollar for an 8-ounc bar. I have found some at Rose's and Big Lots, but that was before Christmas. I have enthused about these products before (http://www.basenotes.net/threads/233...ions?p=1580577). If you ever come across any of this soap, I would advise you to buy up the entire inventory!

thanks for the suggestions!

It seems Bronner uses coconut oil though maybe they re-formulated?

I'm going to CVS later, I'll see if I can get a bar of a few different brands and report back my results

Quote Originally Posted by G Man View Post
    It seems Bronner uses coconut oil though maybe they re-formulated?
    I had not noticed that before. I wonder if it was reformulated or if I was mistaken.

DR. Bronner's baby fragrance free (blue wrapper) is AWESOME. Lathers real nice and didn't irritate my skin. No smell either. Just cleanliness.

I also bought a Glycerine natural soap bar. much cheaper, but didn't try it yet. It was my backup if Bronner's rashed me.

So, I'm not sure what's better. Glycerine or pure castile

Post Thanks / Like

Currently I am using Simple Pure Soap Bar as it is the cheapest I can find over here in Malaysia. However I am not sure how natural the ingredients are but it is unscented.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."