Code of Conduct

Default heya, greeting! ill be here now :)

hi, introducing myself

someone over at badgerandblade.com (a wetshaving forum) told me about this site in their cologne subforum, so i thought i'd check it out, lurked a bit, and now im gunna post

I'm a 24 year old guy, and I'm a soldier currently deployed to Iraq (with a LOT of free time). I'll be going back to school when im done here thou, looking forward to that.

anyway, i want to find a simple but effective cologne wardrobe... 5-6 scents for diff occasions/seasons/etc. that is my goal i wouldn't mind spending alot on a few the scents im going to keep and use, but i also want some quality inexpensive smells. also i do NOT want a collection so this might be hard lol. i dont want to suffer from cologne acquisition disorder.

I have NO nose for cologne, i only own one (Kenneth Cole Black) and have never sampled anything O.o so i might be a fixer-upper... i want to find some really good smells for me and get them as cheaply as possible, not spending alot of money buying stuff that doesnt work out, lol, any help would be much appreciated
    Mrs. Lovett: You're barking mad! Killing a man what done ya no harm! :0
    Sweeney Todd: He recognized me from the old days. Tried to blackmail me. Half me earnings. :|
    Mrs. Lovett: Oh, well that's a different matter then. For a moment there I thought you lost your marbles. Ugh! All that blood. Poor bugger. Oh well! :\

Default Re: heya, greeting! ill be here now :)

Welcome lowkeyberserk. I'm glad you found Basenotes. It's the best!

Cartier Pasha. Best all-purpose men's cologne. Not too expensive, but not cheap either. Worth it, though.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard, soldier!

Welcome lowkeyberserk and thanks for your service! B&B is another favorite forum of mine. As far as cologne advice, I would say the biggest thing you can do is sample a lot and figure out what you like and don't like. Research here and see what notes are in what you sample and go from there.

Welcome and thank you for the introduction! We have a large range of participants, many of which are on the men's grooming forum, too.

As we will help you with fragrance, perhaps you can chime in with tips on shaving. As a service member, I , too, salute you.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Well, all i can say about shaving is that if you spent 15 dollars on a tweezerman shave brush and 1.99 on a puck of Ven Der Hagan shave soap you would get a superior lather then canned goo... a WAY better lather. And it would be cheaper cuz a puck of soap lasts MONTHS. a badger shave brush and getting away from canned goo is the single biggest step anyone can make to improve their shave. more info on B&B or mantic59's youtube videos

lol but now im getting off topic if u want to talk shaving im on B&B, same username. I'm here to talk about smells
    Sweeney Todd: He recognized me from the old days. Tried to blackmail me. Half me earnings. :|
    Mrs. Lovett: Oh, well that's a different matter then. For a moment there I thought you lost your marbles. Ugh! All that blood. Poor bugger. Oh well! :\

Look who's here. Allright. Welcome here dude.

Lurk on these boards awhile. Use the directory when you see references to a scent you hear about here or B&B.

I'm just going to fling some out for you to to read about in here. There a lot of great scents in both the designer and niche world.

BN brothers, throw some suggestions his way, especially guys in his age range. The B&B Forum is great, but their scent focus is on more mature and traditional scents. That's great, but lowkey needs some killer date frags for a 24-year-old to check out.

I'll throw some out that I have experience with that are not old guy scents:

Body Kouros, Rochas Man, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Dior Homme, Versace L'Homme, Antaeus, Kouros (if you dare).

From Creed: Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperiale.

Guerlain Vetiver, Le Labo Rose 31, Le Labo Vetiver 46, Serge Lutens Chergui and Ambre Sultan.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th March 2010 at 04:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Welcome lowkeyberserk and thanks for your service! B&B is another favorite forum of mine. As far as cologne advice, I would say the biggest thing you can do is sample a lot and figure out what you like and don't like. Research here and see what notes are in what you sample and go from there.
    I would have never guessed you were on B&B because of that beard!

Welcome, lowkeyberserk!
    Last edited by Spray; 17th March 2010 at 05:33 AM.

oh crap this is confusing and kind of daunting... i don't want to spend all my cash FINDING the scents i need, i want to spend money ON the scents i need.
    I don't want to try to learn about different notes and whatnot, i just need a good scent for meeting women in a club (no smoking in Iowa bars), meeting women in a bar, meeting women at class, meeting women at work, meeting women in the summer, meeting women in the winter, meeting women in the spring, meeting women in the fall...

Quote Originally Posted by lowkeyberserk View Post
    oh crap this is confusing and kind of daunting... i don't want to spend all my cash FINDING the scents i need, i want to spend money ON the scents i need.
    I don't want to try to learn about different notes and whatnot, i just need a good scent for meeting women in a club (no smoking in Iowa bars), meeting women in a bar, meeting women at class, meeting women at work, meeting women in the summer, meeting women in the winter, meeting women in the spring, meeting women in the fall...
    To meet women and smell great year-round, all you need is Versace The Dreamer. 1 Scent. Less than $40 for 100 mL. Blind buy it today.

I have it and love it. Check out these reviews on YouTube:

The first video will show what The Dreamer is all about. Start watching at 1:25

The second video gets interesting at 7:30

The third video, start watching at 5:27

Last edited by Spray; 17th March 2010 at 06:46 AM.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Welcome, lowkeyberserk.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Body Kouros, Rochas Man, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Dior Homme, Versace L'Homme, Antaeus, Kouros (if you dare)....
    You cant go wrong with these!

You may also try Gucci pour Homme II, YSL Jazz, Cartier's Pasha (already recommended above).

Happy fragrance journey!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Body kouros and Versace the dreamer are good shouts. Maybe l'eau d'issey and Burberry London? The creeds suggested above are all loved by women, but they don't come cheap!

Welcome by the way, hero!

Welcome,and thanks man!
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Welcome on board, soldier!
    No wardrobe would be complete
    without Chanels Égoïste..!

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I would have never guessed you were on B&B because of that beard!
    I've been a member of B&B for a couple of years. I decided to grow the beard back in the fall. But I still enjoy being a part of the conversation over there.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    lowkey needs some killer date frags for a 24-year-old to check out.

I'll throw some out that I have experience with that are not old guy scents:

Body Kouros, Rochas Man, Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Dior Homme, Versace L'Homme, Antaeus, Kouros (if you dare).

From Creed: Green Irish Tweed, Silver Mountain Water, Millesime Imperiale.

Guerlain Vetiver, Le Labo Rose 31, Le Labo Vetiver 46, Serge Lutens Chergui and Ambre Sultan.
    Right on. i see a lot of suggestions and I will definitely want to accumulate samples of them and see what works, where can i get them? I know people mentioned the perfume court and it is my understanding that I'm going to find niche there... btw what is niche? are these niche? if these are not niche, where can I find samples?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I've been a member of B&B for a couple of years. I decided to grow the beard back in the fall. But I still enjoy being a part of the conversation over there.
    I know how hard it can be to not play with your shave toys. DEs are the shit!

The reason why you sample.... is that finding something that anyone will really love probably means there's a chance someone else (including you) may hate it. If you want fragrances that are easy to buy blind, chances are they're going to be relatively generic...
    that being said, there area few that I really love, mostly because they're interesting but overall generally positively reviewed, well done, not offensive, and quite cheap. I'd suggest trying/buying -

YSL Rive Gauche (creamy barbershop floral), goes with your wetshaving, solid all round performer and cheap.
    Dior Homme (chocolate and flowers), for cool winter nights, quite sweet and sugary, girls will want to smell you.

Guerlain Vetiver (green and earthy), for hot summer days. complex, fresh, clean, and well priced for Guerlain
    an aquatic like Bvlgari Aqua, L'eau D'Issey, or even Aqua Di Gio (what can I say, everybody "normal" likes this stuff)

Terre D'Hermes (oranges and wood), for dressier occasions and sophistication. for that "mature" occasion need
    YSL L'Homme or D&G Pour Homme - nice daytime scent, ladies like them, good for all occasions

As for sampling these, you could go to perfumed court (I find them a bit pricey) or find some members around here and swap or "compen$sate" them for samples from their wardrobes. The above ones are all quite common.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads