Code of Conduct

Default "It's like falling in love with one particular dollar bill." Do you agree ?

I think LT said this (or something nearly identical) about Romance Silver Men, in his and TS's "guide" book. I'm not trying to suggest that RSM is incredibly unique or that I think it's a "masterpiece." However, it does fill a niche in my rotation, and I can't think of another frag that is particularly similar. I'm wondering if the "problem" is that his "nose" is used to considerably stronger frags, and he is unable to appreciate more subtle ones, such as RSM. When I first started out, I doubt that I would have smelled much of anything after the first 20 minutes or thereabouts, so I can certainly understand how this can happen. What I'm finding now is that I'm much better able to pick up notes that are listed on pyramids, even in the most subtle frags. So, I guess the question is, do you think it's a matter of becoming desensitized by strong frags, or do you think RSM is a "dime a dozen" frag? If so, which frags are very similar?

Default Re: "It's like falling in love with one particular dollar bill." Do you agree ?

I won't attack your love of RSM. But for my nose, the opposite is true. I see Turin rave about some scents that I can barely detect, or they don't last on me more than an hour.

I don't think his nose is desensitized. I think you have a very sensitive nose as well and find something you really like in RSM. Who knows what he's got against it. He just found it average I guess. Almost all of us own and wear something he would or has just as easily dismissed. He really crapped all over my Rose 31.

He hates half my wardrobe and I don't let that concern me. If he wants to start buying me his 5 star frags, I'm all ears.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th March 2010 at 02:25 AM.

Default Re: "It's like falling in love with one particular dollar bill." Do you agree ?

One of the reasons I like Romance Silver is that I haven't smelled very many fragrances I could compare to it. Maybe Alyssa Ashley Musk for men. I used to own RS but don't have it anymore. If I had a bottle handy I might be able to smell it and come up with a few more similar fragrances.

Well, I'll try to make it even clearer: I do not think RSM is all that great. I like it as a "change of pace" because it's light, but has some interesting notes kicking around. After writing the original post, another thought I had concerns the logic behind the LT comment. There are two possibilities: one is that there are a lot of frags that are very similar to RSM. The other is that the "nose" get accustomed to certain kinds of frag, and can smell the subtleties among them, but will likely perceive other kinds of frags as very similar. However, a person who accustomed his nose to the other kind of frag will perceive the opposite. Do you think this is mostly what is occurring? If not, how do you conceptualize the phenomenon?

Blog Entries

I own it. I find that it is very much like a nice, crisp, one-dollar bill that has just come from the bank, and is in a group of five or six of them, with sequential serial numbers. It's so much of a shame to fold them, you just have to savor the money before you do. You crack open the group, because they're still sticking together. You smell the bills, and it almost smells good. The third bill - THAT is Romance Silver Men. I just want to keep it - perfectly flat and without any defects or uniqueness - forever.

More seriously, it is just too light and fresh - like a new white button-down shirt. Nothing EXACTLY like it, but everything KINDA like it. At this point in life, I'll just take the shirt and buy a fragrance with some OOOMPH. I almost NEVER wear my RSM - I just keep it for reference.

I think Purple Label smells really similar but is much better. I would wear PL, but I wouldn't wear RS. RS has an earthy, dirt smell to me. I think Luca Turin compared it to dollar bills because he thinks it is very dull and has nothing to offer.
    sb[]p

I agree with Turin.
    Or like falling in love with a beautiful mannequin.
    It's a common, textbook type of beauty.
    But it is beauty.