Code of Conduct

Thread: atelier cologne

Post Thanks / Like

Smile atelier cologne

hasnt been much talk on this line..had a chance to smell all..very well blended potions..particularly the bois blonds which has higher neroli oil concentration..any responses??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: atelier cologne

Hmmm. This line doesn't create much buzz, does it? And it hasn't been listed in the directory yet either.
    I was one of the "lucky" ones that got a $50 gift card from Neiman Marcus for their weekend InCircle Event. I went with the intention of building up my Guerlain wardrobe with the acquisition of Imperiale as "fresh", "clean" and "spring" are my aromatic words du jour and I came away with a bottle of Atelier Cologne Trefle Pur instead.
    Cologne Absolue concentrated at 18%.
    • Top notes: bitter orange, cardamon, basilic
    • Heart notes: clover absolute, violet leaves, Tunisian neroli
    • Base notes: patchouli moss, musk
    Fresh and clean without being soapy, the moss and musk add a breath of warmth like the sun through a fresh spring breeze. Pretty much excatly what I was looking for.
    Not exactly cheap but the bottles are huge. I look forward to exploring this line more, especially if NM continues to be generous with the perks like gift cards.

Post Thanks / Like

I see Luckyscent is carrying the line now. Has anyone at least sampled any of them?

I got samples of the complete line from Lucky Scent recently. I haven't tried them yet, but several months ago I was at Nieman's and an SA was pushing the line so I tried some. I don't remember which ones I liked, but I got a sample of Orange Sanguine, which I found too orange-y and sweet, and I gave the sample away. Now I have another one, so I will give them a try again.
    Last edited by Furriner; 22nd June 2010 at 08:46 PM.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Post Thanks / Like

I received my samples today and the whole range is very good, I'm very surprised. Orange Sanguine, Grand Neroli and Oolang Infini are all something I could use and the other two my girlfriend, mother and even neighbour like. They all smell very nice indeed, so one or two are now on my hit list.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Out of the line, I like Trefle Pur and Bois Blonds.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Same here. Trefle Pur is green goodness in a big way.

DeepSilence

Fleur Du Male by JPG
    Orange Blossom is in the top. you can't have it for a long time. Orange Blossom is similar to Neroli but a little more bitter.

SmellChaser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wanted to try Orange Sanguine and was pleasantly surprised when I bumped into it at Neiman Marcus. I sampled it and was disappointed. Not with its realism or the orange note, per se, but something layered on it that I found to make it both unique and irritating to me. Not certain which note it was, but from the list I would suppose it to be the geranium.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the line as well. I own a bottle of Bois Blonds, and Trefle Pur is on my short wish list. As for the others, the Orange Sanguine is a bit floral, the Grand Neroli is a nice lemony cologne - but seems like there are others out there that are similar. And the Oolang Infini is a nice tea based frag - reminds me a bit of a combo of Rare Matale and Navegar.

Note that despite the claimed high concentrations of oils, I do not get great longevity from any in the line. But because the scents are so nice, I don't really hold that against them.

Also note that 1 oz. size bottles are to be released in the Fall for about $50 - $60 each.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Those are my two favorites as well. I actually purchased Trefle Pur. I love it!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Fell in love with the Orange Sanguine, I want to try it again soon. I haven't smelled the others.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried all three at Neimans but frankly I can't remember too much about any of them apart from Orange Sanguine which I got as a sample. Very orangey and neroli . It's OK but I won't bust the bank to buy it.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Fell in love with the Orange Sanguine, I want to try it again soon. I haven't smelled the others.
    I wasn't too impressed with Orange Sanguine at first, because it smells just like fresh orange splashed all over you. But after a while, I just can't help myself sniffing it constantly. So nice...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    Also note that 1 oz. size bottles are to be released in the Fall for about $50 - $60 each.
    That is great news. I like them all, but I loved Orange Sanguine and Oolong Infini the most.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I looked at these and didn't buy any, because they seemed to disappear very quickly from my skin, especially for what claimed to be EdP. if I had bought one, I think I would have gotten Trèfle Pur.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 23rd June 2010 at 06:21 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I looked at these and didn't buy any, because they seemed to disappear very quickly from my skin, especially for what claimed to be EdP. if I had bought one, I think I would have gotten Trèfle Pur.
    I guess my skin is becoming more receptive to holding frags and my nose is becoming more relaxed due to less sampling and fewer sprays these days. I get 9-11 hours of longevity from both Trefle Pur and Bos Blonds. They have a soft creamy texture to their smell that just hummms and purrrs. I have found two gems for the climate I live in for sure. Nothing sharp, jagged or harsh to be found with these. I am sitting here in Bois Blonds at 3:30 CST; a full 9 hours after application, including a 1.5 hr workout, and as I type this post, Bois Blonds is still singing a beautiful song. Her voice is anything but hushed, and she makes me smile.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 23rd June 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried Bois Blond and Orange Sanguine; I found them uninspiring. Definitely not bottle-worthy for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Current prices in an e-mail just received from Atelier are:

Orange Sanguine - 200ml - $ 145
    Grand Néroli - 200ml - $ 155
    Bois Blonds - 200ml - $ 175
    Trèfle Pur - 200ml - $165
    Oolang Infini - 200ml - $ 155

The line Atelier Cologne will be available in 30 ml bottles/1 oz in the fall. The price range will be between $50 and $65. Also, a gift set including the 5 scents in 30 ml bottles will be available at the same period. The price will be around $230.
    The online webstore will also be launching soon.

The larger bottles are definitely better value for money, which is important since you really need to douse yourself with it to get enough projection and longevity. For this reason, I went for the large bottle of Bois Blond.

I must say that even though none of the Atelier Colognes are crazy weird or unique, I like their subtlety and wearability. I consider them great signature scents.

Post Thanks / Like

These are some of the finer new fragrances to come along in a while. I like the restraint of style by not trying to hard for something over the top or too new. To be honest they are all very nice and I have had a hard time picking a favorite but I could very easily see owning several. Oolong Infiniti, Bois Blond, Trefle Pur, Orange Sanguine are all nice. Orange Sanguine is maybe a little generic of that style citrus. Oolong is a more minimal and silver musk version of Bulgari Pour Homme, and Trefle Pur is a very clean green eau de cologne that I will have to purchase as soon as my Angeliuqe Sous La Pluie runs out - which could be any day now. I need to try Bois Blond again as I have forgotten what it smells like. But, they all were excellent.

removed post
    Last edited by md1grwl; 29th July 2010 at 01:43 PM.

Just some thoughts: I have Bois Blond on my wrist and I'm finding similarities between this and d'Hermes Voyage...

Anyone else? - looking at the notes, they share 'light woods & musk'

My thoughts after a few more days of testing:

Trefle Pur – awesome fresh fragrance, but something I feel like I own/smelled before. Its has an aquatic character to it that reminds me of Aqva. I would buy this once all my other fresh aquatic’s run empty, otherwise no need to own now. I do love how it doesn’t turn sour like most aquatics, and you can tell it oozes quality, but to my noise, its just a very high quality fresh blue/green/aquatic.

Bois Blond – I’m trying to love this… scratch that, as a fragrance, I do, I do love it. Its just so weak... *sigh*. Trefle Pur is more potent despite being less concentrated. I guess the notes in Bois Blond just do produce the silliage & longevity that Trefle Pur does… sad, because it’s a nice scent, just weak and is turning me away from the $175 price tag, despite the large bottle… Its a nice warm woody scent, with some spice and a hit of vetiver on the bottom... its actually bringing back to mind Encre Noir a little (woods & vetiver). Though this isn't as brute as EN, its much more wearable and doesn't dry down into a smokey burnt piece of wood like EN... again, its just so week.

I guess thats why the name "cologne' is appropriate. That along with the large bottles, making you not feel guily if you douce yourself in them.

Anyway, so far, I like BB the best, just wish it projected more and lasted longer. I have EDT's that are more potent.

Quote Originally Posted by MdGrwl View Post
    My thoughts after a few more days of testing:

Trefle Pur – awesome fresh fragrance, but something I feel like I own/smelled before. Its has an aquatic character to it that reminds me of Aqva. I would buy this once all my other fresh aquatic’s run empty, otherwise no need to own now. I do love how it doesn’t turn sour like most aquatics, and you can tell it oozes quality, but to my noise, its just a very high quality fresh blue/green/aquatic.

Bois Blond – I’m trying to love this… scratch that, as a fragrance, I do, I do love it. Its just so weak... *sigh*. Trefle Pur is more potent despite being less concentrated. I guess the notes in Bois Blond just do produce the silliage & longevity that Trefle Pur does… sad, because it’s a nice scent, just weak and is turning me away from the $175 price tag, despite the large bottle… Its a nice warm woody scent, with some spice and a hit of vetiver on the bottom... its actually bringing back to mind Encre Noir a little (woods & vetiver). Though this isn't as brute as EN, its much more wearable and doesn't dry down into a smokey burnt piece of wood like EN... again, its just so week.

I guess thats why the name "cologne' is appropriate. That along with the large bottles, making you not feel guily if you douce yourself in them.

Anyway, so far, I like BB the best, just wish it projected more and lasted longer. I have EDT's that are more potent.
    Fortunately for me, Bois Blonds and Trefle Pur are almost too strong. I use no more than 4 sprays on a wearing. These are creamy in texture and sneeky with their sillage. My concern was that this line would be weak due to the 'Cologne' theme before I tried them with a couple of full all day wearings. When I first tested BB, I though Voyage EDP, but since wearing it for awhile, I see nuances in it that Voyage doesn't have. BB is deeper and richer. I get nothing aquatic from Trefle Pur, just deep greens and lots of pathouli and moss in the drydown.
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 29th July 2010 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Fortunately for me, Bois Blonds and Trefle Pur are almost too strong. I use no more than 4 sprays on a wearing. These are creamy in texture and sneeky with their sillage. My concern was that this line would be weak due to the 'Cologne' theme before I tried them with a couple of full all day wearings. When I first tested BB, I though Voyage EDP, but since wearing it for awhile, I see nuances in it that Voyage doesn't have. BB is deeper and richer. I get nothing aquatic from Trefle Pur, just deep greens and lots of pathouli and moss in the drydown.
    I truly wish BB would give me sillage & longevity because I love thes scent. My skin just swallows it up, and from my research here it seem others agree the Atelier line has issues with projection.

I truly wish BB would give me sillage & longevity because I love thes scent. My skin just swallows it up, and from my research here it seem others agree the Atelier line has issues with projection.
    I agree that there are some that say Atelier has issues with projection and sillage. There are some here that say they are anosmic to Black Aoud too. I think all noses are different and weather, skin type, perceptions based on expectations...alot goes into a fragrance experience. I get 8 hours of wear out of Navegar, which is notoriously accused of horrible longevity here. So maybe it is just me, but there are a few others here other than me that have commented on TP's and BB's good longevity and projection.

This is a perfect example to everyone to please test fragrances before plopping down the bucks. We are all different.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    I agree that there are some that say Atelier has issues with projection and sillage. There are some here that say they are anosmic to Black Aoud too. I think all noses are different and weather, skin type, perceptions based on expectations...alot goes into a fragrance experience. I get 8 hours of wear out of Navegar, which is notoriously accused of horrible longevity here. So maybe it is just me, but there are a few others here other than me that have commented on TP's and BB's good longevity and projection.

This is a perfect example to everyone to please test fragrances before plopping down the bucks. We are all different.
    Last edited by md1grwl; 24th August 2010 at 01:00 AM.

I agree about perception. I percieve the cost making me want more from this fragrance. If this was say $90 bucks for the 200ml, I would of already bought it. But I feel that for $175, I should be getting a stronger scent.
    They are coming out with 30 ml bottles really soon. Maybe this will make it a better choice then for others. I think you have similar taste to mine based on your postings...so I will be watching what you are testing and wearing for inspiration. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Does anybody notice the similarity of the drydown or basenotes of Trefle Pur, Bois Blonde and Oolong Infinit? All three have a very pure clean cedar / fresh base note - possibly a house note in the base. All are very crisp and clean parchment dry wood / fresh base. Bois Blonde is slightly orange, Trefle Pur is lightly green, and Oolong Infiniti is smokey oolong tea but they all end as a translucent wood base. These are very nice everyday fragrances - quite clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Does anybody notice the similarity of the drydown or basenotes of Trefle Pur, Bois Blonde and Oolong Infinit? All three have a very pure clean cedar / fresh base note - possibly a house note in the base. All are very crisp and clean parchment dry wood / fresh base. Bois Blonde is slightly orange, Trefle Pur is lightly green, and Oolong Infiniti is smokey oolong tea but they all end as a translucent wood base. These are very nice everyday fragrances - quite clean.
    Most definitely!! Good call! For a while, I thought I would end up with all 5 of them (I own Trefle Pur and Bois Blonds), but then began to sense that "house note." I decided against the Oolang. But maybe when they come out in 30 ml in the Fall........

So I must of been suffering some olfactory fatigue (makes sense because I was sampleing multiple fragrances that evening), but now that I've given Trefle Pur a full wearing, I must say, these fragrances last all day long. - Same with Bois Blond - shocked how long lasting and how much sillage these give off!

Jock_With_Scents - Trefle isn't in your top 10 anymore!?!?!!? lol....
    Yeah, definitely spraying on Bois Blond, you'll realize that the cologne does have pretty amazing projection and longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

I found all of them to have very good topnotes, but their drydowns are so synthetic and "shampooesque", very dissapointed. It's sort of the same dissapointment with an entire house that I had with Penhaligon's (although Pens is a far greater house).

When I first smelled Grand Neroli and Orange Sanguine, I really perked up, thinking I'd found a future purchase, much like I did with Diptque's Oyedo), but after letting them drydown, the dissapointment came in hard (much like Diptyque's oyedo).

Shame to use such wonderful topnotes over such generically synthetic "shampoo unisex" bases.

^^ I'm not really fond of those two either.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I'm not really fond of those two either. You ever try Trufle Pur & Bois Blonds? Give them a good full wearing before passing judgment (like I mistakenly did).
    Tried them all. Trefle Pur was the one I initially had the most interest in after seeing the note list. But even Trefle Pur had a dissapointing drydown, somewhat like Lacoste Challenge/Allure plus a feminine bath&Body works. I was very exited after smelling the tops of OS & GN, but the drydowns from this house aren't my style. More for a woman that likes soft/fresh/soapy drydowns imo.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I tried them all at Neiman's and brought home samples of Orange Sanguine and Trefle Pur. The orange one vanished off my skin very fast, and Trefle Pur, which I hoped would smell more of clover, did not. They are not bad scents, but they are too light for me.

I was told that although they are called colognes, their perfume oil concentration is 12% to 20% depending on the specific fragrance. I would have thought they would be a bit stronger at those concentrations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    This is a bit off topic, but think this is great. I hope Heeley decides to do something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I tried them all at Neiman's and brought home samples of Orange Sanguine and Trefle Pur. The orange one vanished off my skin very fast, and Trefle Pur, which I hoped would smell more of clover, did not. They are not bad scents, but they are too light for me.

I was told that although they are called colognes, their perfume oil concentration is 12% to 20% depending on the specific fragrance. I would have thought they would be a bit stronger at those concentrations.
    I was in the same boat as you (see my post above). But dabbing a sample on your wrist/hand is completely different then an actual wearing. These things are potent!

So I must of been suffering some olfactory fatigue (makes sense because I was sampleing multiple fragrances that evening), but now that I've given Trefle Pur a full wearing, I must say, these fragrances last all day long. - Same with Bois Blond - shocked how long lasting and how much sillage these give off!

Jock_With_Scents - Trefle isn't in your top 10 anymore!?!?!!? lol....
    Well, I had to make room for Marc Jacobs - Bang. Glad you see how long lasting they are. Bois Blonds is super tenacious. Bois Blonds is just beautiful, I am discovering now the subtle but important role the incense plays in it.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I was in the same boat as you (see my post above). But dabbing a sample on your wrist/hand is completely different then an actual wearing. These things are potent! They are made in the 'cologne' style, aimed to be lighter and refreshing (great for casual/work wear/summer-ish style). But they are by no means weak. Someone said they are 'light but assertive', I couldn't agree more.
    I gave my arm a good spray, didn't just dab. And when I do this with other fragrances, I find it to be a pretty good test of how the fragrance will behave on me. That's my skin, though; this may not work for others.

That said, I do find all fragrances last longer when I get some on clothing, which I did not do when testing the Atelier line.

Okay, today I'll do a full wearing with Orange Sanguine (the sample I received) and will report back if I find it to be more long lasting than I first judged.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 4th August 2010 at 01:58 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Following up on my earlier post:

I decanted my sample of Orange Sanguine into an atomizer and applied 6 sprays to torso and throat areas in order to evaluate longevity with a full wearing. (I rarely wear this much but as it seemed light, I thought I'd give it a heavier than usual application.) Some of the fragrance undoubtedly got onto my clothing, which I finds makes fragrances last longer.

The orangey note was all but gone in 1.5 hours and the fragrance turned sour. Projection was moderate at first but only minimal after 1.5 hours. After 2.5 hours, all that remained was residual skin scent of the base notes.

I'll try again with Trefle Pur another day, but I think these just don't have much longevity or projection for me.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 5th August 2010 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typo