Code of Conduct

Default Your Thoughts on My Newest Batch of Niche Samples

I just ordered yet another batch of samples from Luckyscent. This is my second order in as many weeks--I'm starting to think that I may need to enter some type of fragrance rehab, but that's another story...

Anyway, I'd love to hear any thoughts you may have about the following fragrances:

gs02 by biehl parfumkunstwerke

Avant Garde by M. Micallef

Le Seducteur by M. Micallef

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni

Chocolat Amere by IL PROFUMO

Patchouli 24 by Le Labo

Atelier d'Artiste by Nez a Nez

Li Altarelli by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang New York

Thanks!!
    Last edited by WindyCity1014; 17th March 2010 at 04:03 PM.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Your Thoughts on My Newest Batch of Niche Samples

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni
    Great masculine rose! I really need to pick up a bottle of this!
    ~Mark~

Basenotes Plus

Domenico Caraceni 1913 - a classy rose for the gentleman.

Patchouli 24 - more of a smoke and leather with a little patchouli.

I have yet to try the others on your list but I really enjoyed wearing these two.

Didn't really care for 1913 - if it's the one I'm thinking. Somebody in their reviews stated it smelled like bay rum, which I agree. It wasn't bad, mind you, but it just didn't do anything for me. As for the rose note - you have Lumiere Noir, which I'm wearing right now, and I think that's hard to beat.

Patchouli 24 is something that would wear great in the fall/winter. As stated, not much in the way of patchouli, but definitely dark and masculine. Think in terms of Santa Maria Novella's Nostalgia in terms of vibe.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

All horrible
    Sales thread here

My prediction - you're gonna hate every one. Not that I've tried them, though. I also predict you'll swap every one of them with me.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Midiguru View Post
    My prediction - you're gonna hate every one. Not that I've tried them, though. I also predict you'll swap every one of them with me.
    Ah, you know me so well...
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    As for the rose note - you have Lumiere Noir, which I'm wearing right now, and I think that's hard to beat.
    I agree that LN is the best rose I've ever tried, by far. But it's really so much more than a rose scent to me. It is really everything that a fine fragrance should be and is a wonderful example of masterful blending, with absolutely perfect sillage and excellent longevity. Beyond that, it's extremely sophisticated yet totally versatile. It can be worn year-round, in any climate, and is equally appropriate at the office or out on the town.

I've never been one to go on and on about the particular notes and progression of a fragrance--all I know is that Lumiere Noire smells fantastic, from start to finish. A true desert island fragrance.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCity1014 View Post
    I agree that LN is the best rose I've ever tried, by far.
    Some of the others I've tried, like Noir de Noir or Black Aoud, seem to have a very prominent rose note - the rose in Noir de Noir is very prominent at first, for me - but this one feels slightly different, perhaps better blended with the spicier ingredients. Black Aoud and Noir de Noir are both excellent, and I've come close to purchasing both - but LN really captured my attention from first sniff. It's a shame it's only an edt, though, as the woman's version is only $10 more and comes as an edp.

Quote Originally Posted by Thebark View Post
    Some of the others I've tried, like Noir de Noir or Black Aoud, seem to have a very prominent rose note - the rose in Noir de Noir is very prominent at first, for me - but this one feels slightly different, perhaps better blended with the spicier ingredients. Black Aoud and Noir de Noir are both excellent, and I've come close to purchasing both - but LN really captured my attention from first sniff. It's a shame it's only an edt, though, as the woman's version is only $10 more and comes as an edp.
    For some reason, I had thought that both the women's and men's versions of LN were EDP's. However, you are correct that the men's is an EDT. I'm a little surprised though, since the men's version has absolutely excellent, EDP-like longevity and sillage.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I was wondering in Lumiere Noir how does the cinnamon come off like?
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    At first, I was going to say I didn't notice it because LN really smells fresh, but upon spraying it just now, it's definitely there and very well done - very nicely blended. It is noticeable, but it really adds more depth than screams and shouts. It's hard to compare it, considering other fragrances, like JHL, are much heavier and analyzing it is difficult to do within the overall context of the scent. After a few minutes, it's still there - very well done and natural smelling for a very versatile fragrance.

The only one I've tried is Patchouli 24; I think it's fantastic -- a little dirty (as most Le Labo's are) but still refined. It has a very 'moody' feel to it, which is right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    The cinnamon is a key player but is the smoothest I've ever smelled and blends beautifully into the fragrance. It has none of the overpowering, harsh spiciness that often accompanies a heavy cinnamon note.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I own both Avant Garde and Li Altarelli. Avant Garde is my favourite of the Micallefs along with Black Sea and I like the combination of cocoa/incense and the fresher notes. The drydown is mainly about the cocoa, incense and leather. There's a weird note in there somewhere that you notice now and again and that's in Black Sea too.
    Li Altarelli is lemon-immortelle dominant and has a sherbety feel to it. Can't really say I've smelled anything like it before.
    I didn't think there was anything special about Le Seducteur or any of that Nejman line especially at those prices although I thought LS was the most creative of that line.
    I tried one of the Il Profumo Chocolat scents a couple of years back in Harvey Nichols and I couldn't stand it as it appeared to have a fecal note in it. Not sure which one it was though.

Quote Originally Posted by Healer View Post
    I own both Avant Garde and Li Altarelli. Avant Garde is my favourite of the Micallefs along with Black Sea and I like the combination of cocoa/incense and the fresher notes. The drydown is mainly about the cocoa, incense and leather. There's a weird note in there somewhere that you notice now and again and that's in Black Sea too.
    Li Altarelli is lemon-immortelle dominant and has a sherbety feel to it. Can't really say I've smelled anything like it before.
    I didn't think there was anything special about Le Seducteur or any of that Nejman line especially at those prices although I thought LS was the most creative of that line.
    I tried one of the Il Profumo Chocolat scents a couple of years back in Harvey Nichols and I couldn't stand it as it appeared to have a fecal note in it. Not sure which one it was though.
    Great information, thank you so much! So, Li Altarelli sounds like a good summer fragrance, but is it too feminine? I wanted to try this one just based on the fact that it uses immortelle, which I absolutely love in Eau Noire. Does it have a similar maple-syrup accord?

I was a little unsure about the IL PROFUMO Chocolat before. Hopefully the one I got doesn't have a fecal accord--that is an immediate deal-breaker for me.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma