Code of Conduct

Default Nooo! I've been asked to stop wearing scent at work!

Apparently there have been complaints that I am 'smelly'. Well, thought I, which of my 25 scents on regular rotation is 'smelly'? Is it the Fracas? Don't tell me it is MKK! "Erm, which one, you ask? All of them?", said my boss. I tried to explain that I'd stop wearing the single 'smelly' one; come around to my house, I pleaded, and I remove the stink from my collection!

I'm the only one banned, however; other colleagues can wear Stinkney Smears with impunity.

I haven't gone a single day (or night) in years without wearing scent. What am I to do? I've spent a lot of money (and sniff-power) on my wardrobe, now it is all...worthless. I always tried to avoid an over-spray and to keep the sillage to a minimum, but now - oh no! - I have to go natural!

What should have been my farewell scent? What is a good 'two fingers in the air' smell for people who don't appreciate the finer stinks in life?

Default Re: Nooo! I've been asked to stop wearing scent at work!

LOL, I would die.............

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

My condolences..!

Oh, how horrible! My sympathies!

Get some good solid scents just for work. They have low sillage that your co-workers likely won't detect or find offensive, but still have enough that you'll able to enjoy them.

Assuming no-one is a hayfever sufferer, how about ordering yourself a big bunch of scented oriental lillies as 'condolence' flowers for the death of your fragrances. Delivered to work, of course ;)

Poor chezza...

Took a look at your wardrobe, and you do have som potent stuff there, lol.
    I´m not familiar with your Penhaligon´s, but I would say the least stinky sillage monsters might be One of your L´Artisans, Une Fleur de Cassie, Iris Poudre or Jicky.

OF COURSE you shouldn´t have to go "naked" - what a shame!

Hrmm, some alternatives to consider, maybe:
    -Try with one less spray (if you only use one now, use a half-spray), low on your body, under your clothes.
    - Replace perfume with scented lotion.
    - Claim it´s your shampoo that has that "stink". If they don´t accept that, say it´s a liniment you use on your doctor´s order.
    - If nothing works, and if you are an employée - demand a (much) bigger pay check, or that your boss gifts you with an amount of £ corresponding with the value of your wardrobe, so that you can buy a complimentary new wardrobe which is less "offensive". Or quit! (I mean your job, not smelling good).

A great farewell scent in that (worst case) scenario could be a layering experience as well: Start with a nice amount of MKK, then follow up with generous sprays of Fracas. I suggest Angel as the icing on the cake. Good luck!
    Last edited by musse; 17th March 2010 at 04:47 PM.
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Looking at your wardrobe, sorry but a lot of big hitters there. Good taste girlfriend.

Stick with the L'Artisan's not Tea for Two but the other ones are light. Parfum Therese is another one I think smooth and not in your face.

A light all over spray and see what happens. If still complaints then sorry its just go naked.
    DONNA

you could start burning candles at your desk. I do that sometimes.

When people complain, I've often found it's rarely the scent they are targeting and often the person. My mom occasionally had women complain about her perfume. She stopped wearing perfume on her own and they still complained about her perfume. lol Low and behold though, if those women needed her assistance with their work, they could work side by side and not be bothered. Anyway, just something to think about. At least you can spritz as soon as you leave the office and on weekends. Or spray one spritz into the body lotionin your hand before you apply it. That may make it relatively mild and you won't totally miss fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by chezza View Post
    I'm the only one banned, however; other colleagues can wear Stinkney Smears with impunity.
    Them's fightin' words!!!

You are only one? Really? You should just say you will start wearing lighter perfumes, and that you will apply them lightly, as your colleagues do. Would that get you fired? At least you'd get to wear something!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 17th March 2010 at 05:30 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

To be honest, if THAT happened in Belgium, you could go to your union and win the battle... If I were you, I would find another job... Seriously... Who do they think they are???? *is mad* Next time, they'll charge you for breathing the air inside their building...

If this were my dad, he'd probably go without showering for a couple of months and stink the place out to prove a point. That'll teach 'em!!
    Unlucky, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    Assuming no-one is a hayfever sufferer, how about ordering yourself a big bunch of scented oriental lillies as 'condolence' flowers for the death of your fragrances. Delivered to work, of course
    Love this!

One nice thing about hyper-litigated USA is that you could sue the company for targeting you. I would be livid (and would immediately start job hunting).

As a funny aside - I used to work with a woman a number of years ago who wore an obscene amount of the same aldehydic perfume every day. She would even reapply through the day, even while her still-present shimmering trail could still peel paint. She had a cringe-worthy whiny voice to go along with it, so you could hear and smell her coming 40 feet away. The one advantage of that is I could wear as much as I wanted and nobody would be able to complain, since I was always shadowed by rippling air of Queen Toxic Sillage herself.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

I agree with jrd4t that in the U.S. you might still be be able to file a lawsuit owing to the others who wear "Smears" perfumes.

I also agree that they could be "targeting" you and need grounds to single you out. People who are nasty will use any excuse to try to get your goat.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

How awful! But you do have quite a number of controversial nose fryers in your uh.. arsenal...

Other than the posibility of workplace discrimination, the issue could also be one of sillage and olfactory fatigue on your part. Why don't you get some feedback re: sillage potency from a colleague who is close to you? And if I may ask, how many sprays (and where) do you normally use? I'm sure if you vary the application, you may get to wear them without offending anyone at work. Certain lines of work may also not be supportive of the wearing of strong fragrances.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 17th March 2010 at 06:59 PM.

If you're the only one who has been told to stop wearing fragrance, then it's discrimination. I would fight this.

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Ichor View Post
    Assuming no-one is a hayfever sufferer, how about ordering yourself a big bunch of scented oriental lillies as 'condolence' flowers for the death of your fragrances. Delivered to work, of course
    Funny thing is, I'm the resident asthmatic / hayfever sufferer!

I do like my perfumes with a bit of a nasty bite...

I never go above 4 sprays. The more, erm, deadly of the lot get 1 1/2 (Montales get but a squidge.) I always go for the wrists, then the neck, then the belly, lastly one big squirt into the air so I can twirl about in it like the big girl I am. Never more, as I'm terrified of being a chemical weapon.

Is it too much?

I think it has a bit to do with rubbing somebody the wrong way. If my scent is truly bothersome, I feel terrible. However, I fear more that it might be my demeanour!

On the bright side, this may be very good for some BNers, should I have to offload some of my wardrobe!

Chezza's Smelly Emporium - come one, come all!

Poor Chezza! I agree with the others, though, that there's something at least a little alarming that you are the only one that was asked to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by RainDropSparkle View Post
    Poor Chezza! I agree with the others, though, that there's something at least a little alarming that you are the only one that was asked to stop.
    I think people are right - it probably has more to do with a dislike for me than anything I put on my skin.

Basenotes Institution

I do feel for you Chezza - it's discrimination IMHO . Maybe the Citizen's Advice Bureau can help you - it's very unfair to single you out ,in the workplace.

I am very sorry you have to go naked to work but yes, the brilliant suggestion of getting lots of lillies delivered to work tickled me - as did , not showering for a couple of months ! *LOL*

Leaving a few hidden scented strips of paper with Fracas, MKK or Jicky ,lying around the office at strategic points, is my naughty thought . People won't be able to say it's you stinking - it's the darned office ,for Goodness sake !

**Nice wardrobe - I had a look ! You can mix up a fine smelly cocktail with those.
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 17th March 2010 at 09:11 PM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Yes, I like mysticknot's suggestion about scented strips... only I would spritz them before work, and take a selection in to use as bookmarks for my files on my desk. Can't "have you" for wearing anything now can they?

Basenotes Plus

CHezza, is this the first time your boss has spoken to you about this issue? if so, it is grossly unfair to just ask you to stop wearing all fragrances. As someone else noted, in the US that's be litigious. (we do love our lawsuits here). If this was the first time the boss spoke to you about it, I would revisit and tell him you should be allowed to cure the situation in your own way and ask him to revisit the issue in several weeks before he prohibits you outright.
    then, I would also start a notebook and keep track of the times and dates you can smell scent on the other folks in the office- (BTW, I'm dyin to know what Stinkney Smears? are) If your boss singles you out to be frag free then he must enforce this policy throughout the entire workplace.
    Do you have a union or HR dept or sexual harrasment contact? If that happened to me, i would call an outside agency of that sort to advocate for you.

But, even though I'm on your side- IMO you won't win this battle by keeping your current application technique. For the type of lovely powerhouse frags in your wardrobe, try spraying in your cleavage, where it will waft up and you can enjoy it, but it's not all over your body and clothes, which amplifies the scent bubble around you.
    Your wardrobe is NOT worthless now- you just have to reevaluate when to pull out the big guns (not at work).

Good luck and please keep us informed.

Chezza, I feel your pain. I recently interviewed with the state hospital here in OR, and they have a strict no fume policy, but that would be a small price to pay for the job, itself. I'm sorry you have been singled out, though, and I think you've been offered good advice.

Oh, and I love your drobe. You're a sillage bomb after my own heart! I would have Bal a Versaille'd them to death.

If this is the first time they asked about it, it does not seem right that you were offered only one option--to stop wearing them completely. The fact that others can still wear fragrances is an unfair situation. If they have no company policy, they should have offered that you can wear light fragrances as the others do. Otherwise, they really need a new policy that forbids everybody from wearing any fragrance.

Rather than this being discrimination, I think it is more like harassment.
    Last edited by Asha; 18th March 2010 at 12:12 PM.

I also would talk to the boss again to ask why only you are being singled out. Next stop would be Human Resources or Personell office to see if the company has such a policy. Meanwhile I would put tacks in their chairs, stick out my tongue, etc etc - this is awful and interferes with your personal freedom! How about anotherjob? I think the lilies and the tracking notebook are good ideas too.

Poor thing!

reine

I agree with Asha - if they're singling you out it is harassment. I would take it to HR and explain that I'd be happy to dial it down, but they should either impose a company-wide policy or do something to work it out with you.

I'd ask what one of your colleagues is wearing, and go and find a shop with a tester of it during lunchtime. If they complain when you come back smelling like one of your colleagues, it's harassment -plain and simple.

Besides, I can't imagine it being legal to discriminate against an employee in this way. Certainly not in the UK.

oh no,

bless you, that is not nice at all!

maybe something light and fresh for the summer....i love DKNY's Be Delisious when the weather is hot (which i know it is not atthe moment!)...just an idea?

whatever you decide on though...dont stop wearing perfumes, just choose lighter fragrances..?

I would also like to make a recommendation... Comme des Garcons Odeur 53. Its ghostly transparent and sits very close to your skin. You can enjoy it, and if ANYONE pipes up, you can simply argue "girl's gotta use soap!"

Oh how horrible! Clearly it is not fair that you alone have been banned from perfume in the office. I agree with others saying there must be some recourse via the human resources department, union or what have you. But for how, since it seems you've agreed to your boss's terms, you had better cut off fragrances until you are able to mount your defense. Also, if you are successful in having your personal freedom reinstated, I would recommend altering your application habits to reduce sillage. But only for work, go wild elsewhere! Good luck!
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 18th March 2010 at 03:47 PM.

I am so sorry to read this chezza!

I think you have an awesome wardrobe! A lot of scents that I am very fond of.

Ugh. My condolences. I'd feel totally nekkid w/o fragrance of some sort. Truthfully, the whole thing sounds unfair. Good luck to you.

Has nothing to do with how good fragrance you are wearing.

You are clearly wearing TOO MUCH of it! Too much of anything is bad. And it's not right for you to force your smell on others.

Try 1 spray, not the 5 you are likely wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by TalkingMuffin View Post
    Has nothing to do with how good fragrance you are wearing.

You are clearly wearing TOO MUCH of it! Too much of anything is bad. And it's not right for you to force your smell on others.

Try 1 spray, not the 5 you are likely wearing.
    Please don't make negative assumptions without reading the complete thread.

Read above: I realise scent is for my enjoyment, not others'. As such, strong scents get one spray, lighter a max of 4 - not the 5 you so incorrectly assumed.

In the end, it was a personal complaint about me. A call to my union rep swiftly revealed this. This person also made a complaint about the length of a 20-something's skirt, which, frankly, is longer than the complainer's!

Thanks for the support, everybody! Sniff on, superyous.

Basenotes Institution

Chezza - see ,it isn't you ! That person who has singled you out - obviously just .has.a.problem. There is always one of those in the workplace .I wish you the best and I hope the union rep can help you out . There is hope !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Chezza, so glad to see you have a union rep working for you. (we're all contract where I work so the process of sorting out unfair complaints can get very, very messy). Obviously being singled out is a good thing in this case AFAIC... I LOVE to wear scent at work, as I only have one coworker in my office... and she doesn't seem to mind. There are those who office down the hall who would complain about having a corner office, glad I don't office with them.

Anyway... Hope things get resolved and you can wear scent to work again!
    Last edited by actiasluna; 19th March 2010 at 11:39 PM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Chezza,
    I would thell them to eat shit and die, then, I would go out and buy me something that smells like "ass" and slap some of that on me. Or is that what you were already wearing? Anyway, don't back down, maybe put on a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by patmilkovich View Post
    Chezza,
    I would thell them to eat shit and die, then, I would go out and buy me something that smells like "ass" and slap some of that on me. Or is that what you were already wearing? Anyway, don't back down, maybe put on a little less.
    And this is why you should actually read the thread

The problem is being resolved (telling them to eat shit and die would only compound it at work!)

Chezza, I am glad you got some helpful feedback from your union rep. I hope things will go much more smoothly now. And I agree with the other posters, you have an impressive fragrance wardrobe!

In the end, it was a personal complaint about me. A call to my union rep swiftly revealed this. This person also made a complaint about the length of a 20-something's skirt, which, frankly, is longer than the complainer's!
    I must reluctantly say that four sprays, of almost anything, is an awful lot for the office.

If you get the (unfair) absolute prohibition removed (do I understand this post to mean that it is cleared up, or just that it's being worked on?), I'd suggest one lightweight spray, no more, and maybe even switching to a dabber bottle for the real sillage monsters.

From my experience, I think that the belly spray is likely to give you the most enjoyment, while minimizing the amount that others can smell. When I spray there, I get intermittent off-and-on whiffs, so I don't go into olfactory fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by chezza
    Apparently there have been complaints that I am 'smelly'. Well, thought I, which of my 25 scents on regular rotation is 'smelly'? Is it the Fracas? Don't tell me it is MKK! "Erm, which one, you ask? All of them?", said my boss. I tried to explain that I'd stop wearing the single 'smelly' one; come around to my house, I pleaded, and I remove the stink from my collection!

I haven't gone a single day (or night) in years without wearing scent. What am I to do? I've spent a lot of money (and sniff-power) on my wardrobe, now it is all...worthless. I always tried to avoid an over-spray and to keep the sillage to a minimum, but now - oh no! - I have to go natural!

What should have been my farewell scent? What is a good 'two fingers in the air' smell for people who don't appreciate the finer stinks in life?
    I think it's discrimination! Especially if others are still ponging to high heaven! Rebel!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Basenotes Plus

BTW, I'm Still dyin to know what Stinkney Smears are?

Hmn.... could it be a celebrity scent that kinda sounds like it?
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Dear Chezza, I am so glad that SOMETHING positive is being done for you regarding this mess! Maybe they will fire the complainer (sounds like she has issues working with other women!)

4-5 sprays is my daily regimen, less is wasting perfume if no one can smell it except the wearer on her wrist!

reine

Cool Re: Nooo! I've been asked to stop wearing scent at work!

Funny thing is, I'm the resident asthmatic / hayfever sufferer!
    Which goes to show that they are being mean to you, and it's got nothing to do with the scents you wear.
    Remember you were the only one singled out, which doesn't say much for your boss.

Step one in any self defense situation: realize you are being attacked. Fast.

Further evidence is that your union rep let you know there was a complaint against you for wearing a skirt shorter than the complainer's (?) etc.

Damn! I'm surprised they didn't accuse you of having bad breath while they were at it.

So, as much as I like Petrta Ichor and mysticknot's creatively wicked suggestions,

Offhand I would be tempted to suggest that you wear men's scents and claim sexual discrimination, or wave a stick of frankincense incense over a prominently displayed Bible and claim religious bigotry but---

---That won't cut it.

You are handling this in a mature way and there will be positive resolution.

I'm with Ahsa on this:
    Rather than this being discrimination, I think it is more like harassment.

Just document everything that happens AND KEEP YOUR COOL.
    Do not let them provoke you.

May everything turns out well for you,
    May kindness prevail,
    And yes, you've got a very cool wardrobe.

Pax,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.