Code of Conduct

Thread: A Delicate Rose

Default A Delicate Rose

I sampled Amouage's Lyric man today, I found it absolutely beautiful. Although it's brilliant, I am not willing to spend that kind of money on just 1 scent! I wondered if there are any fragrances very very similar to this one, not just in the rose, in every sense. What about Le Labo Rose 31?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Delicate Rose

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    What about Le Labo Rose 31?
    Not similar, although Rose 31 is wonderful in its own way. (It's also quite expensive in its own right...)

I was sampling Lyric Man earlier today, and I actually got no rose from it at all. I think it's just me, though, since most people describe it as rosy. It actually seems like more of a powerdery amber/fresh fragrance to me. In that vein, you might find Le Labo Labdanum 18 to your liking.
    Last edited by NillaGoon; 17th March 2010 at 09:32 PM.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Rose 31 is nothing like Lyric. I love R31 but I thought the Amouage was too, too boring for me, so I can't comment on that.

Delicate rose? Have you tried Kelly Caleche by Hermes (especially the parfum) and/or Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 17th March 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NillaGoon View Post
    Not similar, although Rose 31 is wonderful in its own way. (It's also quite expensive in its own right...)

I was sampling Lyric Man earlier today, and I actually got no rose from it all. I think it's just me, though, since most people describe it as rosy. It actually seems like more of a powerdery amber/fresh fragrance to me. In that vein, you might find Le Labo Labdanum 18 to your liking.
    I get the powdery amber and freshness after around 3-4 hours of wear, and after the rose has minimalised a bit. Maybe this is what I like about it, I'm not totally sure yet. Will be sure to sample Labdanum, though! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Rose 31 is nothing like Lyric. I love R31 but I thought the Amouage was too, too boring for me, so I can't comment on that.

Delicate rose? Have you tried Kelly Caleche by Hermes (especially the parfum) and/or Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligon's?
    I haven't tried these, but I will be sure to check them out! Rose is such an interesting ingredient to use in a mans fragrance, unique and daring I find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I own Lyric....its the best rose IMO..Today I just got my sample of Rose 31 and I love it, the woods are Woah..You just got to order a sample. Both are AMAZING!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I just tried Lyric for the first time. A wonderful basenoter sent it to me, who needs to clear out his BN inbox so I can send him a message about it :-)

I love it. It's very much a rose, but the musk note in the base is quite amazing. I have to spend more time with it, but it's surprising that this one is marketed to men... I love it so far...
    Last edited by mrclmind; 17th March 2010 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I just tried Lyric for the first time. A wonderful basenoter sent it to me, who needs to clear out his BN inbox so I can send him a message about it :-)

I love it. It's very much a rose, but the musk note in the base is quite amazing. I have to spend more time with it, but it's surprising that this one is marketed to men... I love it so far...
    mrclmind, I must say, I'm a huge fan of your reviews! I would be extremely interested in your review of this fragrance! Obviously you need time to consider it, though! I look forward to it...

Post Thanks / Like

mrclmind, I must say, I'm a huge fan of your reviews! I would be extremely interested in your review of this fragrance! Obviously you need time to consider it, though! I look forward to it...
    That's very kind of you. I'll definitely give it a go!

Have you tried Paestum Rose? Betrand Duchaufour at his exotic, rose-y best, he didn't do Lyric, but he worked on Amouage's Jubilation XXV. And then there's Rose d'Homme by Les Parfums de Rosine, a sublime, easy rose with a slightly leathery base. There's also Nahema by Guerlain, designated a feminine, but full of dry labdanum and over a creamy base. Happy hunting.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 17th March 2010 at 10:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Have you tried Paestum Rose?
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and second this one.

Also, my favorite ethereal yet oriental rose is Penhaglion's Elixir. So transparent, yet warm.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna throw in some stuff labeled pour femme, but just too good for guys to ignore completely, especially if you are on the lookout for a rose-based scent anyway. The tops of most of these scents are the most feminine portions and fade after 10-20 mins.

Nahema is amazing stuff and all the more remarkable for containing no rose. It's like some magical postmodern constructed rose.

EL Knowing or JHAG Citizen Queen for big aldehydic roses

Chanel Coco is a great oriental peachy-rose and totally wearable for a guy.

Chanel No. 19 is the best green-rose, but check out Safari edp... a new discovery for me and it rocks; a real compliment getter.

Cabaret de Gres is a wonderful woody rose. I used to layer this with other things to add or supplement rose notes. Now I use Tea Rose, which I don't think I'd wear on it's own (too ripe and dewy of a rose), but Cabaret is now reserved for solo application.

But the best imo is Ungaro Diva. Ungaro I, II, III are fine and nice dirty roses, but Diva is outstanding. One of Jacques Polge's best creations and less overtly feminine than you might think, especially as it dries down. A great honey-herbaceous-rose chypre that I think of as a more feminine counterpoint to the uber-masculine Antaeus (also Polge). It is a powerhouse and extreme, but don't let the name scare you guys from checking it out. And really don't we all have an inner diva desperate to get out?
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I 2nd that....This is the perfect scent to do a review of mrclmind. I cant pick apart the notes in this scent, I just know I love it....But you can! I cleaned out my inbox..lol..

Post Thanks / Like

When I think delicate, I think Czech & Speake's Rose Cologne, in the light pastel pink packaging.
    It is as delicate as a old waif drinking tea out of brittle china.

Also, light applications of Caraceni or Lyric man,
    while still strong scents sillage or longevity wise,
    they both have a very high-pitched and "delicate" sharpness to them.

I tend to prefer more robust, masculine Rose scents like Rose31, Homage, or Windsor.
    I guess 88 would be a 'tweener, leaning more to the delicate side.

Post Thanks / Like

Dior's Ambre Nuit is a nice, masculine rose scent.

I dont get it , you dont want to pay the Amouage Lyric price which is £140 for 100ml and you liked it alot but you would pay £125 for the Le Labo which is £15 less

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I dont get it , you dont want to pay the Amouage Lyric price which is £140 for 100ml and you liked it alot but you would pay £125 for the Le Labo which is £15 less
    Yeh, I really should have researched pricing LOL. I suppose I just wanted some good ideas for rose scents, forget the price.

I'm definitely gonna be buying samples of a few of the ones mentioned, cheers guys!

Post Thanks / Like

Not similar in smell to Lyric but 'delicate' in a sense, I'll second Domenico Caraceni, a gentleman's rose with a prominent tabac blond note and enough warm woods and opoponax (or is it what I've perhaps wrongly been calling 'raw frankincense'?) to make it very soft after the opening.

boosh - a warning about Pen's Hammam Bouquet - I find it to be VERY sweet and powdery with a very old English traditional theme to it (some might call it "old man" or "nan's handbag") - I don't find it to be delicate at all, nor do I get much rose.

On me, Czech & Speake 88 is very delicate and, whilst again I don't get much rose from it personally, most people have this one marked up as a rose frag. If you have tried any C&S frags and the shit, piss, sweat and/or animal notes don't come out on you (as they don't on me), then 88 or Dark Rose might be your bag, at nearly half the cost of Amouage and Le Labo.

I would also second Strollyourlobster's Caraceni recommendation.
    Last edited by great_badir; 18th March 2010 at 12:31 PM.

I dont think you can go wrong with Cadjmere from Parfumerie Generale

Once again, I must mention Lumiere Noire pour Homme by MFK. It's around $140 USD (and worth every penny!).
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Post Thanks / Like

Acqua di Parma Colonia has a delicate rose in its base if you can get past the lemon and rosemary.

Just get a decant of Lyric Man. It's really a one spray scent, and so a 5 or 10ml decant will last you a long time.

It's my sotd, and absolutely the finest rose scent I've come across. As a rose scent it trumps Lyric Woman, the Lumiere Noires, C&S's Dark Rose, DC1913 (though a very nice frag, not all that rosey), any Montale (easily), Iquitos, Rose 31 (in Turin 2 word speak: not rose), and any other I've tried.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 18th March 2010 at 04:00 PM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Agree with the Paestum Rose suggestion. It's better than Lyric Man IMO - and so are others.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th March 2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto Paestum Rose...also L'Artisan Voleur de Rose, if you like a little leather with your rose.

Also, rose has been a key ingredient in masculine scent tradition in the Orient for centuries. Rose is considered very much a masculine note in the middle east.
    "Mom….now the kitten smells like Chamade!"

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice list, Antaeusintheair. I came across Ungaro Diva some weeks ago but gave it a miss as my arms were out of test spaces, lol. But I'd probably give it a go now that you'd reminded me.

Another one you might want to try try is Vintage Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio. Soft yet wine-like plummy rose with a dusty touch of woods and spice, a terrific option if you find Le Labo Rose 31 a little dry or sharp.

What of Stella McCartney? I have heard that, like SJP, this can be considered a masculine because of the musk.

Wonderful rose scent.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

man... no love for TDC Rose Poivree...?

Soft, Red rose petals : Rose 31
    Slightly deeper animalic red rose petals: Rose Poivree
    Even more deeper/intense red rose petals with a dirt like vibe: Une Rose by Malle.

All of the above are stellar releases along with what others have already mentioned...
    Last edited by jenson; 18th March 2010 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to be trying most of them (when payday comes). Particularly looking forward to trying Vintage Rose by Sonoma Scent Studio and Cabaret de Gres. I think it's the slightly fresh but also warm undertone that I find appealing about Lyric.

If these don't cut it, I'll take up SculptureOfSoul's idea of getting a (reasonably) large decant, there's no way I'd ever use 100ml of the stuff in this lifetime!
    Last edited by boosh; 18th March 2010 at 08:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Just get a decant of Lyric Man. It's really a one spray scent, ....
    Agreed. I did 2 sprays on my arm and thought it was much too strong. A very good fragrance, IMO. I am now all of a sudden VERY interested in rose fragrances and oils ( although have been since I first sampled some Montales).
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Post Thanks / Like

If you plan on ordering samples from Lucky Scent (one of the best sources of "niche" samples), you might consider including Andy Tauer's Une Rose Chypree. The quality of the rose he uses in is very good (and 'delicate') IMO. I'd also recommend trying his Incense Rose which I believe uses the same high quality rose absolute but has a prominent incense / texas cedar thing going on. LS also carries Serge Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose which is worth sampling as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    I dont think you can go wrong with Cadjmere from Parfumerie Generale
    I'd agree that Cadjmere is VERY GOOD (I own a large decant), however I never considered it as a "rose scent". Rosewood (not rose) is listed as one of the notes. It has a wonderful (and unique) sandal-rose-woody chord going on. (LS has this one as well btw.)
    Last edited by Delmar; 19th March 2010 at 07:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I must recommend Black Tie by Washington Tremlett. There is lots of geranium too in this rose blend but it milder but still has lots of character.