Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Which of these two fragrances would you most like to see advance? Select one from each group only.

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • (Group A) Guerlain Heritage

41 37.27%
  • (Group A) Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain

60 54.55%
  • (Group B) Guerlain Vetiver

58 52.73%
  • (Group B) Yves Saint Laurent M7

49 44.55%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Blog Entries

Default BMM10: 3/18 Games 49 & 50 (Scented Sixteen Begins! Heritage vs. LDDM, Vetiver vs. M7)

If interested in participating in the NCAA March Madness bracket, please visit this thread.

Basenotes March Madness 2010

Games 49 & 50
    (Round 3)
    Poll ends March 19.

(11) Guerlain Heritage vs. (7) Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    (1) Guerlain Vetiver vs. (13) Yves Saint Laurent M7

Most recent bracket:

(Click bracket for full size.)

All games in this round are worth 4 points.

Poll will close in 24 hours, vote which fragrance you'd like to see advance to Round 4. Vote for one fragrance from each group only, voting for both is statistically the same as not voting at all.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Default Re: BMM10: 3/18 Games 49 & 50 (Scented Sixteen Begins! Heritage vs. LDDM, Vetiver vs. M7)

The Zeitgeist Sez...

Predictions:

(6) Aramis Havana def. (14) Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    (1) Guerlain Vetiver def. (9) Creed Green Irish Tweed

Standings:
    Maximum Score Possible 65
    The Zeitgeist 47

gupts 54
    an_oud_girl 51
    DocmanCC 49
    wicozani 49
    zliang 48
    flannelman 47
    Buddy97 47
    surreality 46
    TwoRoads 46
    the_good_life 46
    mrcologneguy 45
    Asha 44
    kbe 40
    timaru 40
    Royal 40
    Bluesoul 39
    mudassir 39
    veuve amiot 39
    robpgmc 38
    Furriner 38
    telecaster 37
    JaimeB 36
    rogalal 36
    Exquisitely Me 34
    jacona 32
    Roryj 26
    The Zeitgeist has spoken.

Default Re: BMM10: 3/18 Games 49 & 50 (Scented Sixteen Begins! Heritage vs. LDDM, Vetiver vs. M7)

I sort of doubt the Tauer will win against Heritage...but my prediction was for L'Air du Desert Morocain to win over Rive Gauche. Hope I can salvage my bracket this game!
    Last edited by Asha; 18th March 2010 at 03:10 AM.

I'm going to cry myself to sleep if M7 loses to the pathetic take on vetiver that is Guerlain Vetiver.

GV is the most overrated fragrance of all time. Please folks, vote for the innovative and groundbreaking frag that introduced oud to the western world. Vote M7!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

I think quite a few of us, including me, like Vetiver for what it used to be and not necessarily what it might be in its current state. It might still be head and shoulders above M7 though ;-)

That being said, I still voted for M7 as honestly Guerlain as a house gets way more adulation than it deserves in its current state - no matter how much better it might be compared to competition. It might not be fair to compare a scent that your grand father used to wear back in the 70's to something that was introduced a few years back.

Oh wait...I had picked Vetiver to defeat BdP in this round. I voted against myself. Darn it!

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm going to cry myself to sleep if M7 loses to the pathetic take on vetiver that is Guerlain Vetiver.

GV is the most overrated fragrance of all time. Please folks, vote for the innovative and groundbreaking frag that introduced oud to the western world. Vote M7!
    Last edited by Mudassir; 18th March 2010 at 03:50 AM.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Basenotes Plus

Consider it done, mon ami.

I think this time, I will be right. Cause I vote LDDM and M7 :P

Nah, got to be the Guerlain's all the way.

M7 is falls under the category of fragrances I bought because of it's reputation, tried living with it, decided that it was actually pretty horrible and sold it on Ebay. I've never wanted to have it back.

Guerlain Vetiver can be worn any time, with any style of clothing, in any weather and for any occasion and just smells great. M7 can only be worn around people you don't like very much.

Heritage is wonderful and a true classic. LDDM is good and I like it a great deal, but come on, no way does it share the wonderful evolution that Heritage demonstrates as it unwinds from topnotes to basenotes.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

My hopes ride on Tauer and may ever disappointed GIT fan vote M7 to smash Guerlain Vetiver
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

M7 not fit to lace GV's boots - yes it is unique, different and perhaps, at a push, innovative, but, as a fragarance, it is harsh, synthetic, medicinal and cloying, the poorest of YSL range IMHO. Guerlain as a house does maybe get too much respect, but Vetiver is a timeless classic, can be worn anywhere, always appealing. GV by a mile.

The other match is somewhat less clear as it is Rive Gauche that should be competing and winning it, but Heritage for me!

MVGT: M7/L'Air

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    MVGT: M7/L'Air
    Ditto

M7 is an iconic fragrance without any doubt but I love Guerlain vetiver for its incredible versatility. Tough choice but the vetiver is what takes my vote. Perhaps partially influenced by the fact that vetiver is my favorite note.

As for Heritage v/s LADDM, it is no contest for me as LADDM is way too good for Heritage.

Where are all the M7 fans at? Vote now or forever hold your peace!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I honestly cant believe another mediocre Guerlain is taking over the lead against a groundbreakingly good frag. If it was Shalimar, alright, but come on people, this is M7 we are talking about and it going down against G V ??

Blog Entries

M7 has the lead!
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

M7 cannot be allowed to beat GV.

M7 might be groundbreaking, but then so is a shovel, doesn't mean that you'd want to wear it.

Madness. Utter madness.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Blog Entries

I guess Vetiver losing so early would be an upset, but would open up the competition quite a bit as I assume either Habit Rouge or Vetiver would have been the Zeitgeist champion.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

We don't need Vetiver to win again this year.

It's funny to me that so many BNers always complain about safe scents, boring scents, etc, but then tend to vote for them over an innovative if hard to wear in all situations or seasons fragrance.

Anyhow, GO M7 GO!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    M7 is falls under the category of fragrances I bought because of it's reputation, tried living with it, decided that it was actually pretty horrible and sold it on Ebay. I've never wanted to have it back.
    Thank.

You.

My thoughts exactly. I say M7 is the most overrated scent of all time, and GV is pretty good.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 18th March 2010 at 07:58 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    M7 cannot be allowed to beat GV.

M7 might be groundbreaking, but then so is a shovel, doesn't mean that you'd want to wear it.

Madness. Utter madness.
    +1.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    +1.
    +2.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Come on guys, pledge your support for the incredibly beautiful and versatile Guerlain Vetiver.

M7 is nothing but nearly pure tincture of benzoin; the most medicinal fragrance I've ever smelled. It may have cultish status here, but it probably has less than 1/100th of Guerlain Vetiver's international sales, and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads
    +1
    +2.
    +3

Come on Vetiver! You're infinitely more versatile than that other one!

Blog Entries

Can't believe we're tied with 2 hours to go. Ignore the previous message.
    Last edited by bluesoul; 19th March 2010 at 12:59 AM.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp

Vetiver! Come on! We love you!

I love YSL M7 !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Vetiver up by one. Keep it up!
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 19th March 2010 at 02:02 AM.

I'm flying the Heritage banner this evening, having made it my SOTE, after wearing GV as my SOTD.

I feel really sorry for Heritage, which is running headfirst into a cultish, micro-niche missile. I like L'Air just fine, very fine, in fact, but imho it has a long way to go before it gains the magnificent, time-honored status of Heritage. I'm into the drydown phase of Heritage right now, and it is just solid and fabulous. I assume, sadly, that not too many BNers are that acquainted with Heritage.
    Last edited by wicozani; 19th March 2010 at 02:09 AM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I like Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain well enough but it just is not in the same league as Heritage. And a 20 vote or so victory for Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain won't change my mind
    Last edited by kbe; 19th March 2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: heh,,, I had M7 on my mind
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani View Post
    M7 is nothing but nearly pure tincture of benzoin; the most medicinal fragrance I've ever smelled. It may have cultish status here, but it probably has less than 1/100th of Guerlain Vetiver's international sales, and for good reason.
    By that measure Acqua di Gio should have won the tournament.

That's not the criteria for voting, is it?!?
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

By that measure Acqua di Gio should have won the tournament.

That's not the criteria for voting, is it?!?
    I guess each one of us has his own point of view for voting.

Yay Vetiver!
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 19th March 2010 at 05:10 AM.

Come on Vetiver...