Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What kind of a Basenoter are you?

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obsessive Compulsive Sampler

27 18.88%
  • Obsessive Compulsive Full Bottle Buyer

55 38.46%
  • I do not need what I do not have

9 6.29%
  • I'm a noob! Just tell me what the sexiest fragrance is!

8 5.59%
  • Still looking for the Holy Grail

31 21.68%
  • Fragrance? Meh. I'm just addicted to the BN forum

3 2.10%
  • All of the above

5 3.50%
  • Don't pigeonhole me brah! I just love fragrance

51 35.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default Basenotes Demographics (What kind of a Basenoter are you?)

Vote please

Default Re: Basenotes Demographics (What kind of a Basenoter are you?)

I don't see where to vote...

I'm a small wardrobe, mostly decants since I'll never use my full bottle basenoter.

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I don't see where to vote...
    You're too quick mrclmind! Somehow I managed to not submit the poll right away :S

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    You're too quick mrclmind! Somehow I managed to not submit the poll right away :S
    LOL, got it.

Bigger on sampling than full bottles, but I do own when the price is right or there aren't decants available of my pricier faves.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

No prizes for guessing which category I belong to... Samples! My kingdom for samples!

Unfortunately, "the grouchy, passive-aggressive kind" isn't an option, so I'll have to abstain... :-)

I'm a reformed O/C full bottle buyer. Now I just shop sensibly, and buy only when I locate a fragrance that has been hard to find. Lately I've been enjoying the wardrobe I have, instead of lusting after fragrances I don't have. I voted for the third choice from the top, I think that suits me best.

I'm definitely addicted to samples and sampling....not sure I'd say OCD, though.

Hillaire

I'm a FB addict, sadly. I only sample to see what I need to own next.

Don't pigeonhole me, brah!

In theory, I'm "I don't need what I don't have," but I'd really like to round out my warm weather drobe with Eau Premiere. Then I'll be done. Seriously. My goal for 2010 was to be as happy with my summer fumes as I am with my winter ones, and I'm almost there.
    I've been able to talk myself out of fbs of every samp I've liked since Eau Premiere. Really, as long as Chanel keeps making 22 and Caron keeps making Tabac Blond, I'll be alright.
    Last edited by Sunnyfunny; 17th March 2010 at 04:43 AM. Reason: changing want to need

Dependent

When it comes to full bottle buying, I lack discipline and focus, which is silly because I end up with thing I don't really love and have to sell them not too long after acquiring. I could have saved on buying blunders. I'm sure I could have been much closer to my holy grail wardrobe had I JUST STUCK TO WISHLIST.

I must say though that my purchases in the past 2 months (especially a recent one from a kind BNer and friend) have been well fruitful.

Blog Entries

I currently own 3 bottles only. Not because I'm a newbie, I'm just very picky. I hoard sample after sample until something is worth buying. If it's something I keep craving to wear, I'll consider a bottle of it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I just love frags, in bottles.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I think that I belong to a combination of at least 2-3 categories, however, the compulsive buying of full bottles seems to describe me best, lately.

Recovering Obsessive Compulsive Full Bottle Buyer

I rarely sample, because when I do, it usually leads to full bottles -so I think I know which category I am in

Obsessive Compulsive Full Bottle Buyer

Basenotes Plus

Same as Hillaire - Obsessive Compulsive Full Bottle Buyer sampling only when mulling over a new purchase.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 17th March 2010 at 11:27 AM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I'm into full bottles, baby!
    The bigger, the better..!

I voted Obsessive Compulsive Full Bottle Buyer, but I can feel myself slowing down of late, not least because we have a sproglet on the way any day now, so obviously my current disposable income (something which I've only been enjoying for the last 18 months or so thanks to promotion) will turn into not so disposable income.

After quite a few impulsive full bottle buys that I ended up not really liking or just "meh" i decided to control my buying habit. Since January I only bought Le Male and Heritage. I even decided to space out my buys so that for this whole year I'll probably end up buying another 5-6 bottles of frags I really love.
    "A parent's only as good as their dumbest kid. If one wins a Nobel Prize but the other gets robbed by a hooker, you failed."

i am quite happy with the wardrobe i have right now. I am still curious about other fragrances so i just sample alot
    Knize Ten !

full bottle buyers are coming out!!

Very good poll, I like it

At this early junction in my fragrance discovery, i'm still very much into designers still. It's difficult to buy decants and samples in the UK, since most samplers are based in the US, and so when I factor in the price of the sample, together with international shipping of just a few scents, it ends up costing nearly as much as a full bottle. Sure, I may get 2 or 3 different samples as opposed to one full bottle, but then I think "X amount of money for 3x5ml samples, or the same amount of money for one 50ml bottle?". It just doesn't add up for me. I'd love to get into sampling more and more, but financially I just don't see the point of it. Since i'm still in the designer phase, I can afford to buy full bottles since you can often find them for very cheap online.

I just try and scourer every department store for a sample of whatever I want to sample. If I can't find one then i'll do a lot of research, and if I really like the sound of it i'll just buy a full bottle (provided it's cheap enough). Like my Bvlgari Black, couldn't find a sample of it in stores anywhere. Looked on ebay, and saw a couple of samples (like 8ml and other small amounts) going for about 8-9. But then I thought "hold on...8ml sample for 9, but I can find a full 40ml bottle for just 15". So as I said, I don't find sampling financially worth it.
    Last edited by Smeghead; 17th March 2010 at 05:31 PM.

I like this poll The last option makes me laugh...brah !

I don't really know which one to pick, but I would say "never satisfied" is a good way to describe the type of Basenoter I am
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

summer means fireflys

It's hard to say exactly what I am!

I'm on a very strict budget right now, so NO compulsive purchases, not even of samples and/or decants. But if my finances were different, I would be buying a lot more ... probably to the point of obsessive/compulsion. So I have that underlying tendency.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I don't like to be pigeonholed. That said, it's taken a few years to figure out the depth of my fragrance enthusiasm. I think I've gone through the impulsive, testing everything in sight, part. I've also passed through the, buying things just because I thought they were interesting period, and am trying to move towards connoisseurship.

I *SHOULD* be on a strict budget... that said, I tend to make purchases based on BN reviews ... so does that mean that BN is enabling my addict behavior?
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Quote Originally Posted by FlexYoFace View Post
    full bottle buyers are coming out!!
    Indeed we are! Fly the FBB flag proudly! :-)
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

I steadily oscillate between the 'explore new territory phase' and the 'enjoy what I've got phase.' The former typically lasts 2-3 months while the latter often lasts 5-6 or more.

As of today, I've been enjoying what I have for the last 7 or 8 months. Typically when I'm in this phase I rarely even reach for samples I own but instead truly just focus on enjoying what I own bottles of; strengthening my relationship with and growing a deeper understanding of the frags.

I just recently have been feeling the urge to try some new things, and I think that's primarily because of the change of seasons and my lack of enough good summery and especially springy scents.

For the most part though, I'm perfectly happy with my wardrobe and wouldn't be terribly downtrodden if I was forced to use only what I have now, from now on.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I just Love Fragrance!!!
    Gary