Code of Conduct

Default Balmain, Balmain De Balmain

Hi,

Just a question regarding the entitled fragrance. It would be possible to buy 100ml EDT or 30ml Perfume for the same price. It tried the EDT, like it, would like to have it for the price, but longevity is not its prime qualification. I appreciate the bubble bath top, but the dry down to some green/spicy/aldehydic jasmine is faint, even if reapplied after ~30minutes. It could be fatigue because the bubble bath is quite radiating/diffusive. Others smell it may be better, and they like it on me. But they describe it as a bit reserved too, very close to the skin. What would You suggest, what I should do? Is it just to soft for a man to wear?

thx

Default Re: Balmain, Balmain De Balmain

Balmain de Balmain is in my Top Ten and I have gone through a big bottle of EdT just recently (of course, I was sharing a lot!). Although having a composition of a classical chypre, it might appear too fruity in the beginning due to a bright, crisp and sweet blackcurrant note. It is a slow developer, meaning that it is evolving during the time of its duration and one has to be patient to wait for the drydown -- which is a woody, mossy rose with jasmine accents.

I have never had any problem with its projection or longevity which is measured by days, not hours, especially on your clothes. But if in your shoes, I would go for the pure parfum -- only as based on the rarity factor, everybody can buy a widely available EdT version through many online discounters.

Go for it, if you are not afraid of blackcurrant.

Wow, I've never even seen the parfum but would definitely suggest giving it a shot. Might be a more intense and lasting skin scent for your enjoyment, but probably wont be any more of a projector, less alcohol and all. I hear the Ivoire and Vent Vert parfums are outstanding so it could be a safe bet. And if you want to add the edt to your collection later, it can be found for about US$20 and one of perfume's amazing bargains for the quality. The drydown on me is quite mossy but more of a diaphanous patchouli with a crisp green jasmine that just lasts and lasts (reapplication doesn't hurt with this though as it is quite soft).
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Hillaire

I heard GOOD things about the parfum from Jale (a member here, hopefully she'll chime in), and she sent me the link to it on ebay. (It's readily available in Germany.) I would for SURE get the parfum if I were to buy it again -- though I have three EDTs -- because the longevity is not great. It's totally unisex, and has a fougere effect after just a few minutes! For this bargain price, I think all men should buy one for their collections!

Balmain de Balmain is marketed as a feminine, yet is marvelously unisex. A clean, refreshing fougere with touches of leather.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Wow, I've never even seen the parfum but would definitely suggest giving it a shot. Might be a more intense and lasting skin scent for your enjoyment, but probably wont be any more of a projector, less alcohol and all. I hear the Ivoire and Vent Vert parfums are outstanding so it could be a safe bet. And if you want to add the edt to your collection later, it can be found for about US$20 and one of perfume's amazing bargains for the quality. The drydown on me is quite mossy but more of a diaphanous patchouli with a crisp green jasmine that just lasts and lasts (reapplication doesn't hurt with this though as it is quite soft).
    Hi, I've got some vintage Vent Vert perfume, that is quite different from the very last release of EDT. While the latter has some very pleasent projection and a clearly developing structure, the perfume is not as sharp in the tops. Intensity doesn't overwhelm the EDT. Still the development and projection have to be evaluated, as I don't have a friendly user in reach every day.

Regarding the Balmain De Balmain longevity seems to be fine now after about eight hours. Still get it, but it is so faint related to for example Vent Vert EDT. It sticks very very close to that part of the skin it has been applied to. And then it's a bit to sweet, I'm told. For myself I really like that bubble bath appeal, reminds me of a functional product of the 7ties. May be it shouldn't be as projective as Vent Vert?! One has to keep the balance as with chocolate. Tastes good, but don't eat to much ...

Mmmh, I think I'll wait for my semi vintage Ma Griffe to arrive before the purchase of the BDB perfume. That would be an other clean but more austere feminine to compare. I really wonder what the difference of a 4ml-'mini'-EDT of BDB to a full size bottle of perfume could be.
    Last edited by merry.waters; 19th March 2010 at 12:41 AM.

Blog Entries

I would like to get the parfum, as I have the EDT, but I have never seen it listed on-line. Is there a source in the U.S.?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 19th March 2010 at 03:00 AM.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I would like to get the parfum, as I have the EDT, but I have never seen it listed on-line. Is there a source in the U.S.?
    The source I have ships here.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:EF:DE:1123

That's a pretty sweet deal, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    The source I have ships here.
    http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...E:B:EF:DE:1123

That's a pretty sweet deal, huh?
    I would expect the perfume to be much more intense, using less liquid for the same impact as to say. With the Vent Vert from Balmain, most recent formulation EDT compared to some vintage pure perfume this is not the case. Same with Piguet Bandit, both vintage, the EDT sharp green galbanum, the perfume tamer, flowers like Jolie Madame. Both are lasting a similar time, more radiance for the EDT, which concludes to that the EDT has more juice in it! A strange experience.

Can someone please help me decide what to blind buy ? I am torn between lauder men and this fragrance. Both seem to be in the same realm as 80's fragrances?

I am looking for an 80's powerhouse elegant fragrance like eau savage original giorgio beverly hills givenchy por monsieur with excellent silliage. I like rich classy european type scents.

Is this a good blind buy...lauder men or this one?

Thanks

I love it! I have also brought the perfume strength on E-bay. It's an excellent deal!
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    I love it! I have also brought the perfume strength on E-bay. It's an excellent deal!
    Do you think I will like it considering my previous choices mentioned above?

Is it similar to boucheron ? It was interesting but something turned me off to it.

*** La3 by Caron or Balmain de Balmain........That is something else to ponder...comments ?

Well, uhm, I don't know the others you mentioned...
    I would never consider Balmain de Balmain sweet though. Not on my skin.
    Not in any of it's phases. But I have only tried the perfume which was love at first sniff.
    And could definitely very well be worn by a man.
    I think it's totally unisex.
    Although that man should not be surprised if I was hanging over him sniffing all the time.

80s powerhouse... My beloved wears Paco Rabanne which is not subtle but I love it. But then I love the bloke underneath it... He applies lavishly because he's been wearing it since the stone age and I think he doesn't smell it at all anymore and actually thinks it's a subdued cologne....
    But there are more elegant fougères. Luca mentions some in comparison in The Guide.
    ''Do unto others 20% better than you'd expect them to do unto you to correct for subjective error.''
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Basenotes Plus

Ummm Frou Frou. Hillaire's old link seems to be kaput Any new sources for the perfume??

Dieses Angebot (350310062226) wurde entfernt oder der Artikel ist nicht verfügbar.

•Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie die richtige Artikelnummer eingegeben haben.
    •Angebote, die vor mehr als 90 Tagen beendet wurden, können nicht mehr aufgerufen werden

@thatmakesscents- I would not consider BdeB a powerhouse, but you should still consider it a "safe" blind buy
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Actually, I just brought a bottle, I know there are others around. I'll have a look.
    I can buy it for you and take it with me next time I go to America and send it to you if they don't want to send to America, or if it is ridiculously expensive,
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

here it is:
    http://cgi.ebay.nl/Balmain-de-Balmai...item1e658c4d8f
    I brought from these people before. Decent rates for sending it to America.
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com

Quote Originally Posted by FrouFrou View Post
    Actually, I just brought a bottle, I know there are others around. I'll have a look.
    I can buy it for you and take it with me next time I go to America and send it to you if they don't want to send to America, or if it is ridiculously expensive,
    I found it for rather cheap on overstock.com. Lauder for men is also available and has had some interesting reviews on here.

Basenotes Plus

Thank you dearest Frou Frou
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I found it for rather cheap on overstock.com. Lauder for men is also available and has had some interesting reviews on here.
    But that's the EdT, not the Perfume.
    But a very good site!

Knit, de nada!
    Last edited by FrouFrou; 29th July 2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Typos
    (Linus Pauling)

www.aafke-art.com