Code of Conduct

Default Fruity essential oils?

Good day,
    Are there any essential oils that have a fruity smell....not necessarily citrus, but more berry/apple/plum like? Thank you!

patti

Default Re: Fruity essential oils?

hello patti,
    the only thing that comes to mind is osmanthus absolute.
    there are some berry oils, but i think most of them rather belong to the spice category. juniper, et cetera. i think most fruit notes in perfumery are made with esters.

maybe some more experienced member knows of something?
    Last edited by gido; 18th March 2010 at 11:31 PM.

a certain chamomile might have an apple-like smell.

Try soapgoods.com or camden-grey, or liberty natural products.

There are also some cherry, berry (blackberry for one) scents out there but I do not know if they are natural, or if it matters.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 19th March 2010 at 02:42 AM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

Not an essential oil but rather an aromachemical, Ionone Beta has a berry/grape sort of quality, I quite like it in small doses.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Essential oils with some fruity qualities: davana, osmathus absolute, black currant bud absolute, buchu leaf oil, petitgrain, tagete.

Black currant bud absolute definitely has a fruity scent, just like black currants. It's also very expensive. The others that Irina mentions aren't really fruity in the same way, although petitgrain does smell like citrus. Blue tansy has a very strange odor that might be perceived as somewhat fruity or (to me) like fried sweet potatoes. Eden Botanicals sells an orange fruit oil that smells just like orange fruit/juice rather than orange peel. Most fruit scents are synthetic because it's not really possible to get oil out of fruit.

Citrus smells I would have thought would have been the easier ones to come across, but I may be wrong. I guess Im so used to seeing them in so many different fragrances I would think the abundance used was very high and cost very low.

I thought the question was about odors other than citrus, which, as you say, are commonly available and cheap. However, citrus is made from the oils of the citrus rind, not the fruit itself.

Davana and tagetes are good exceptions, but most fruity notes -except for citrus notes- can not be made with only natural substances.

i just came across an ad at the natural perfumery group, remembering this thread i thought i should post it here.
    disclaimer: i have no idea who these people are, and no experience with their products.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Re: AD_Introductory offer for genuine fruit extracts
    Posted by: "Alysia Gaye" sacredfloweressences@yahoo.com sacredfloweressences
    Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:21 am (PDT)

After over 30 years of research in botanicals and raw
    materials, I am excited to offer these amazing essences. I have never come across anything like this
    that gives your creations, fruit notes that are botanically derived. Everything available up to now has been
    synthetic.
    Use for natural botanical notes in perfumery or culinary
    application.
    Proprietary cold process extraction not available until now.
    True genuine fruit notes that taste as amazing as they
    smell.
    An introductory offer to Natural Perfumers.
    Buy 5 and receive one free.
    oz of the following
    essences:
    Banana, Apricot, Blueberry, Black Currant, Blueberry, Peach,
    Pineapple, Coconut, Strawberry, Violet, Tropic Exotic, Mango, Honeydew, or
    Morello Cherry
    Other extracts available at www.medicineflower.com
    Choose 6 essences for $110 Regular $132
    For more information checkout
    All of our materials are food grade. They are organic, sustainable and wild . You will be amazed!!!!
    Large and small quantities available.
    Established in 1985. . Our specialty is unusual, exotic and rare essential oils, absolutes,
    concretes and hydrolytes.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
    Any questions, feel free to email me.
    Aromatically Yours
    Alysia Gaye
    Founder
    Medicine Flower
    1-800-PURE-OIL
    1-800-787-3645