Code of Conduct

Default Paco Rabanne Metal: Spring in a bottle.

I acquired this scent last fall, but really didn't pay any attention to it til now. This stuff opens big, with a huge burst of green like no other. To me, it smells of hyacinths, grass, sap and the air after a rain shower. There's a plush green note that reminds me of freshly snapped green beans, but when it all winds down, the scent is very similar the original White Rain shampoo with a bit of "fleshy-ness" like warm clean skin.
    I bought Metal with the intention of adding some more green to my collection, to balance out my fragrance "diet". I find Metal to be more satisfying than CDG Calamus, which I also have, but seldom use because it's so fleeting.

Metal: Rainy, lush, green and can work as a unisex.

Default Re: Paco Rabanne Metal: Spring in a bottle.

Interestingly enough, I was just doing some research on this under reported fragrance. Do you have the EdT in the new packaging? I saw that there's a parfum version floating around out there from the days of yore. How is the longevity? Thanks.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th March 2010 at 04:48 AM.

I have been looking for a nice green scent for spring and reading your description I just blind bought a bottle, it wasn't too much after all. I will let you know what I think after it comes! I am excited!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I like this one very much. It is similar to another great Paco Rabanne, Calandre. You should sniff that one, too.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Hillaire

I don't see the similarity to Calandre, though I love them both! I also own the Eau de Metal and Eau de Calandre, greaaat unisex "eau" scents if you can find them!

Metal is a favorite of mine for men. Nothing there says girly o r soft. It's green (not citrus green, but ivy and spinach green), oily and very close to a fougere in the drydown phase. I have a newer bottle, and the longevity is fabulous.

Good! the bottle I ordered was a newer one I believe, i didn't know if we were talking reformulation here. Glad to know the newer ones are still good!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I don't see the similarity to Calandre, though I love them both! I also own the Eau de Metal and Eau de Calandre, greaaat unisex "eau" scents if you can find them!

Metal is a favorite of mine for men. Nothing there says girly o r soft. It's green (not citrus green, but ivy and spinach green), oily and very close to a fougere in the drydown phase. I have a newer bottle, and the longevity is fabulous.
    I see a similarity in that they're both green florals. Maybe that's all there is to it, but it's some kind of similarity to my nose.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I think Metal has been watered down a bit and reformulated, but it's still a very creditable scent on its current merits. The parfum and eau de parfum are no longer being produced, as far as I can tell. Those stronger versions tended to have a stronger rosy note - still a green, cool rose, not a potpourri or red velvet type of scent.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I see a similarity in that they're both green florals. Maybe that's all there is to it, but it's some kind of similarity to my nose.
    Well, I defer to your nose... certainly.
    I'm probably missing something. Calandre has never struck me as being as green as it is for others; I get more soft powdery rosey aldehydic stuff. With a metallic edge (Now they do have that in common to me.)Curious.

The version of Metal that I have is the eau de toilette. This is becoming my most favorite warm weather scent!

Basenotes Institution

I was gifted a vintage mini years ago, and I really didn't like it at all. It was a little too aldehydic for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was gifted a vintage mini years ago, and I really didn't like it at all. It was a little too aldehydic for my tastes.
    To me it smelled very much like Giorgio for women / Primo - green tuberose aldehydic

I have a vintage bottle of the eau de toilette. I love it. It's not something for everyday though....but always interesting. Metal seems to go through numerous changes and reacts to body chemistry. One day I was wearing it and my friend said "I smell chocolate...where is that coming from?" Paco Rabanne scents are either amazing, like this, or kind of run of the mill/pander to the masses kind of thing. Like 1 Million. Calandre, which came out in 1969, was revolutionary at the time. Paco needs some more revolutionary stuff...but Metal is definitely unto itself. I'm amazed at how almost unknown it is.

My wife had this at one time. She thought it was all right,but nothing special.

I'm resurrecting this thread because a couple of days ago I bought Metal EdT. A terrific green floral, perfect for this weather. A big fresh green blast at the beginning, which doesn't veer off course, but stays green fresh throughout, and acquires an interesting oiliness. There are none of the horrid fresh metallic notes that plague modern masculines, the metal in Metal remains pleasant and natural smelling.

cacio