Code of Conduct

Default Vintage Avon recommendations?

I sometimes come across old Avon fragrances, but know very little about them. Which are worth looking for? I generally prefer green and floral chypres and would prefer to avoid the bad stuff, if possible. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Vintage Avon recommendations?

ahhhh...

RARE RUBIESSSS
    "Diego: Why did you do that? you could've died trying to rescue me.
    Manfred: That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. " (Ice Age)

Avon's Diane Von Furstenberg Forest Lily was nice

Topaze is a beautiful floral chypre, Occur is a soft aldehydic floral, and Timeless is a leathery chypre (my least favorite of the three but some people find a similarity to Miss Dior...which I suppose I can sort of see, but I doubt it would measure up in a side-by-side test.) Topaze and Occur are two of my favorites - I give them both 5-Stars, but some of that could be for nostalgia....not too much though. I really think they're beautiful and wear them often. I can't recall Sonnet, Moonwind and Charisma enough to say what they're like, but I do remember that I thought they were nice, too (it's been a long time since I've sniffed those.) Oh, Mesmerize is a soft and sweet oriental that reminds me very much of Samsara!

To tell the truth, I see so many disparaging remarks about Avon fragrances, but I just don't understand it. At worst some of their fragrances can be derivative, or maybe uninspiring, but I've yet to come across a real stinker - nothing offensive, ever. Oh, Ariane is another nice one, a soft and airy floral chypre.

Timeless?

I've got a bottle of Rare Sapphires, which I obtained it in a large lot that I bought. I should try it again. If I remember to do it, I'll post back here.

How about Candid? I think they actually market some "old" scents as retro scents. Be warned that this is very floral.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by w3pearl View Post
    ahhhh...

RARE RUBIESSSS
    Oh yes. I still have half a bottle left, and it's used sparingly.

Blog Entries

Fantasque by Louis Feraud is a wonderfully bold, floral chypre. I recently bought an old bottle and it smelled true to what I remember. When it came out in the 80s, it was pricey for Avon, and I think it probably used very good quality ingredients. Anyone missing oakmoss in today's scents should track down some of this old stock. I also enjoyed Foxfire, a lovely green floral, possibly a chypre, but very soft and sensuous.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Eva Pasco

Perchance you will come across these two: Here's My Heart and To a Wild Rose
    I have recently acquired the latter from The Vermont Country Store and was terribly disappointed as it certainly did not approach the original.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I've got a bottle of Rare Sapphires, which I obtained it in a large lot that I bought. I should try it again. If I remember to do it, I'll post back here.
    Rare Sapphires is nice. I find it to be mostly gardenia and prominent cedarwood, which is a pretty unusual combination. I used to enjoy wearing it and should dig out my old bottle.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Banned

Avon used to have something called "Far Away". Is it discontinued too? (Hope not.)

Quote Originally Posted by Madame du Barry View Post
    Avon used to have something called "Far Away". Is it discontinued too? (Hope not.)
    It's still in production, and they have a new (maybe limited, not sure) edition called Far Away Dreams. I was never a huge fan of the original, but something about this one makes me want to try it.

Basenotes Plus

just saw a bottle of Rare Rubies on E Bay for $70 Buy it now option if anyone is interested.

Edited to add: Far Away is widely available on E-bay

the Avon /Christian LaCrox collaboration Absynthe is a nice herbal green scent, IMO
    Last edited by knit at nite; 20th March 2010 at 02:27 PM.

Don't know how vintage this is, but I know is discontinued in my country. Surrender for Her is the name of the perfume.
    It's so good that I could drink it

Wow! Thanks so much to all of you who have responded. Who knew Avon had so many winners??? But I'm no perfume snob so I'll seek them out; many can be found for very little money on Ebay so if I get a stinker it won't be the end of the world. The search starts... now!