Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I think i have found my Holy Grail...have you....?

Even before i joined basenotes, i used to alternate between 4-7 frags, never settling with one. Post basenotes, well, i rather not comment.

The idea of finding a fragrance which suits your personality, your taste and just about everything you expect a perfume to perform, olfactorily ofcourse; is just a matter of you running into one. I have soon come to realise this is possible. that it's possible to wear a single fragrance primarily and others on need to basis.

I know many here already practice the above said...for eg. The Dukes Love for Creed's Bois du portugal or Dimi's admiration for Penhaligons Lp. No.9 or Two Roads for Giorgio for men and Vintage Tabarome or Dustb for Iquitos + many recent addition to this list like Sos for Reflections/Lyric Man et al. is very well known; for me, it's Guerlains Heritage EDT/EdP.
    Last edited by jenson; 31st January 2010 at 04:27 AM.

Default Re: I think i have found my Holy Grail...have you....?

Due to my sensitivity issues, I don't think I could wear one frag more than about once a week. However, I do find myself much more drawn to certain frags than others, whereas several months ago I was rotating with much more equality.

I have several favorites, but new ones keep appearing to spark my interests. Antaeus was first, then Encre Noire came along, Sublime, Third Man, Vol de Nuit, Mitsouko, Heritage, etc, etc. I might have scent family HGs (chypres, leathers, orientals, florals, etc) but I'm not terribly fond of absolute (scent) monogamy.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

I am really loving Havana. I get a lot of compliments on it too. I also love the fact that it is so complicated, mixed, filled with chaos, and for some odd reason balanced. It seems to have everything.

On the other hand, finding a "holy grail" is so hard because, speaking personally, some days I want a dark scent, some days I want a sweet scent, some night I want a sexy scent, some work days I want a serious scent, etc.... You know what I mean? Some times a "holy grail" depends on how I feel.
    Last edited by ApacheRosePeacock; 31st January 2010 at 05:30 AM.

While I do have my "holy trinity" of Reflection/Lyric/Bois de Turquie, they definitely do not represent all facets of me and in some cases don't even represent my style very accurately. That's the one divide I've had for quite some time that bothers me - a lot of the scents I find beautiful kind of clash with my style of dress. I have long hair and dress in a sort of rugged/casual style that is best served with scents like M7, TdH, vetivers, etc. I really LOVE powdery and sweet scents though. Maybe I should make a thread about that as I'm really curious if anyone else has that issue where what their nose likes doesn't always fit with the image one projects.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

My holy grail is Hammam Bouquet. I love it forever. I still like diversity and I wear many perfumes....but my heart belongs to HB.

for me its Rochas Macassar
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Musc Ravageur + MKK + Black Aoud + Parfum d'Habit ... Sorry i cant choose one -.-" , well MR might be the one then
    AUSSIES, come join our SPLIT GROUP at http://groups.google.com.au/group/oz-scent-splits

"No Pain, No Gain"

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    While I do have my "holy trinity" of Reflection/Lyric/Bois de Turquie, they definitely do not represent all facets of me and in some cases don't even represent my style very accurately. That's the one divide I've had for quite some time that bothers me - a lot of the scents I find beautiful kind of clash with my style of dress. I have long hair and dress in a sort of rugged/casual style that is best served with scents like M7, TdH, vetivers, etc. I really LOVE powdery and sweet scents though. Maybe I should make a thread about that as I'm really curious if anyone else has that issue where what their nose likes doesn't always fit with the image one projects.
    Maybe you should? Yes, please!

I have the same and similar issues, and I imagine it happens to everybody, at least occasionally.
    Last edited by narcus; 31st January 2010 at 06:25 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ApacheRosePeacock View Post
    ...Some times a "holy grail" depends on how I feel.
    I was going to say that the HG issue could be a paradox to a BaseNoter, but the above excerpt says it all. HG is itself a shifting thing. What i consider as HG today would definitely not be the same in the near future, especially after lots of time wearing it. Personally, there are just too many frags out there to enjoy, and a HG would be a bit limiting.

Now, if i had to choose only one frag, it would be Dunhill's Blend 30.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Well, despite my obvious public love for LPNo9 and the Durbano lineup, my HG is Eau Noire.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    HG is itself a shifting thing. What i consider as HG today would definitely not be the same in the near future.
    I still think that concepts like fidelity are good things. Fidelity exists. It is just a matter of finding someone or some perfume that you love and really stands out.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
    I still think that concepts like fidelity are good things. Fidelity exists. It is just a matter of finding someone or some perfume that you love and really stands out.
    I agree with those who suggest the holy grail might be a scary thing--something I don't really want to find. I like Iquitos, oh you betcha, but I'm very with you Perfaddict, and think the HG concept is best a shifting thing.

I'm not interested in a lecture on fidelity or finding someone thank you, Billy Budd.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Yap, it has been there since ages and will always remain in my fragrance wardrobe:

Armani Eau pour Homme

The only frag I could spend the rest of my life with, yet never regretting the absence of any other frag.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

My wife of 20 years and fragrances are not the same, by any long stretch. However, i actually wish i could stick to a few frags. It would really be good for my finances, not that i am really complaining
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    My wife of 20 years and fragrances are not the same, by any long stretch. However, i actually wish i could stick to a few frags. It would really be good for my finances, not that i am really complaining
    Thanks PerfumeAddict. Perfumes are like love affairs to me. Food is too.

I think my holy grail is Tubereuse Criminelle. I talk about it far too much on these forums, I really do, so much so, I imagine some folks think I wear it every day. Really, Tubereuse Criminelle is simply my favorite fragrance, rather than one I want to wear all the time. If, for some reason, I was denied every fragrance but it, I wouldn't wear it every day, but rather, I'd wear it maybe once a week or less, so I'd enjoy the experience all the more. Variety is the spice of life...

Once I find out what he's wearing...

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    Once I find out what he's wearing...

Having no clue about the context, I think that gave me the biggest laugh I've had in ages! Thank you.

This is taken from the movie, based on the homonymous novel "the Parfum" by the german author partick süsskind. Flopped pretty much everywhere in the world, although the novel is captivating.

He is wearing the BO of I think a dozen perfectly looking young women whom he had murdered and extracted their scent.

Regarding the HG thing, I just cant cut it down to 1. I think cool water will always play a huge violin and i wouldnt want to be without, simply because of the memorias andbecause it smells good.

As close as anything can come to HG attribute is probably lddm by tauer.

If I had to live with just one it would be Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta. Top three is ADPCA, Bois du Portugal, and Musc Ravageur. Top six and I include GIT, Chergui, and Cereus 14.

Having spent a lot of money and time testing and buying, I would probably always go back to my original love of Antaeus. It would have to be the early 80's variety though.

It's either Vintage Tabarome or R&G Extra Vielle. Can't live without them. The real thrill of fragrance addiction, though, is clinging to the hope that your next "big find" will surpass your holy grail. That's why I'm afraid to start in on certain high-end brands. My Creed exploration/addiction immediately got out of hand. I can only imagine what would happen with me, an AmEx card, and a willing Bond No. 9 sales associate. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    Well, despite my obvious public love for LPNo9 and the Durbano lineup, my HG is Eau Noire.
    Dimitri it's odd you bring up Eau Noire, because I'm truly and wholly perplexed by this scent. I sampled it again last night. I personally don't feel comfortable wearing something that has any hint of "curry" in it, yet I'm absolutely amazed at how beautiful this scent is. How it manages to incorporate that note without smelling downright gross is beyond me. It's one of the most complex and beautiful scents I've ever smelled.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I think my holy grail is Tubereuse Criminelle. I talk about it far too much on these forums, I really do, so much so, I imagine some folks think I wear it every day. Really, Tubereuse Criminelle is simply my favorite fragrance, rather than one I want to wear all the time. If, for some reason, I was denied every fragrance but it, I wouldn't wear it every day, but rather, I'd wear it maybe once a week or less, so I'd enjoy the experience all the more. Variety is the spice of life...
    I think this is a very good point Galamb. I have fragrance ADD and get tired of things far too quickly. My favorite fragrance is probably Dior Homme Cologne but I only wear it once a week or so, as to defend against the possibility of getting bored with it.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    This is taken from the movie, based on the homonymous novel "the Parfum" by the german author partick süsskind. Flopped pretty much everywhere in the world, although the novel is captivating.

He is wearing the BO of I think a dozen perfectly looking young women whom he had murdered and extracted their scent.
    Read that book last month: Story of Perfume: The Murderer
    Very interesting indeed. The main character, Grenouile, wore the essence of 25 virgins (he murdered them and preserved their scents) and everyone at the execution was so moved by the aura of 'beauty and innocence' that they could not fathom how this guy can be guilty of any crime. So they let him go. *Yeah, LOL.*

Back to HGs. If I must stick to just one fragrance, I think it will have to be Esencia Loewe. It's just feels so 'me'. But I'm not quite ready to 'settle down' for this extreme level of fidelity just yet. And I agree with ScupltureofSoul, there are days when I find myself avoiding certain frags as what I'm wearing doesn't quite fit in with the scent. And I thought only women has issues over 'matching accessories'...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 31st January 2010 at 03:18 PM.

Zino. I've worn it pretty much for the past 20 years or so. I started being seriously interested in other fragrances when I started doing research when I thought it was being discontinued. I really enjoy other scents and am interested in trying new things, but nothing has come close to suiting me as much as Zino. At least not yet. LOL.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Dimitri it's odd you bring up Eau Noire, because I'm truly and wholly perplexed by this scent. I sampled it again last night. I personally don't feel comfortable wearing something that has any hint of "curry" in it, yet I'm absolutely amazed at how beautiful this scent is. How it manages to incorporate that note without smelling downright gross is beyond me. It's one of the most complex and beautiful scents I've ever smelled.
    LOL!
    They must make very different curries in your part of the world mtgprox... I simply dont get the curry smell (despite many members making that same association). To my nose this is pure lavender and imortelle. I love Eau Noire for its depth and dark charm. If I had a silly amount of money, I would most likely take a bath in the stuff. (OK, so that might sting a little, but you know what I mean).

A curry note in a fragrance? Eww...
    I'd have to smell it to believe it worked...

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    A curry note in a fragrance? Eww...
    I'd have to smell it to believe it worked...
    Larwiz, I'm telling you man, I've added Eau Noire to my list of must smells for everyone that enjoys fragrance. It's simple something else. It's sort of similar to how I dislike cumin in almost every incarnation, but by some stroke of genius Le Labo manages to intertwine it so perfectly in Rose 31 that it goes from dirty skankyness to sexy spicyness. It's the same here. In Eau Noire, they use the note immortelle, which believe it or not comes off as either maple syrup or curry to some, it comes off as both to me. Yet, even though curry can come off as incredibly strong and pervasive if smelled in the real world, it's SO smooth and blended in Eau Noire, that it becomes beautiful. Definitely try it out, and definitely let it dry down all the way through it's life.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 31st January 2010 at 04:20 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I have worn both the Edp and Edt editions of Guerlain Heritage by themselves and in various combinations of layering. Superb in each and every application. For me though, Aramis Havana gets it done like no other(s). I own and wear the original Havana, the Reserva and the Havana reissue. I consider them first among equals.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Isn't Eau Noire like $20 for 1 tiny ml? I don't know if I'll ever sample that unless I can sample it at a reasonable price.

edit: I was mistaking Eau Noire for somethin else. I see samples are reasonably priced. I'll give it a try some time soon.
    Last edited by Larwiz; 31st January 2010 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Isn't Eau Noire like $20 for 1 tiny ml? I don't know if I'll ever sample that unless I can sample it at a reasonable price.
    Nope, it's $3 for a ml. It DOES come in a honkin' 200ml bottle though.

Nope, it's $3 for a ml. It DOES come in a honkin' 200ml bottle though.
    It comes in a whopping 500ml bottle as well... its my preciouuuussssss!

It comes in a whopping 500ml bottle as well... its my preciouuuussssss!
    That's annoying. I'm starting to come around to Bois d'Argent, but I'd NEVER get a bottle more than 125ml.

That's annoying. I'm starting to come around to Bois d'Argent, but I'd NEVER get a bottle more than 125ml.
    LOL! I dont mean to annoy you, sorry :-/ I bought it just over a year ago and have used about 100-120ml so far. Its kept in its box in a nice dark cubby, so I expect I will still be wearing the same juice a number of years from now. I do have 2 x 125ml bottles too (one of which I will likely sell), and an Eau Noire scented candle... so Im a bit of a junkie.

LOL! I dont mean to annoy you, sorry :-/ I bought it just over a year ago and have used about 100-120ml so far. Its kept in its box in a nice dark cubby, so I expect I will still be wearing the same juice a number of years from now. I do have 2 x 125ml bottles too (one of which I will likely sell), and an Eau Noire scented candle... so Im a bit of a junkie.
    No, I didn't mean that you annoyed me. I meant that Dior annoys me. Plus I wasn't aware of a 125ml bottle. Those exist?

For me it has to be something along the lines of PdN New York and anything simliar to it
    including
    Patou Homme
    BdP by Creed
    Carven Homme
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

By the way, the fragrance I was confused with is Nombre Noir. That sucka costs a pretty damn penny. $19/.25ml. Can you believe a full ml closts you $75?!!! Absolutely ridiculous! That's called ROBERRY. And I'd be willing to bet that $75 that it isn't that impressive.

No, I didn't mean that you annoyed me. I meant that Dior annoys me. Plus I wasn't aware of a 125ml bottle. Those exist?
    Yes indeedy!
    They come in a 125ml, 250ml and 500ml flacon (and more recently, a newly discovered 35ml). Prices are approx €96, €140 and €230 for the 3 bottles in ascending size.
    This is only a tiny picture to illustrate the 3 main sizes listed above.
    Last edited by Sorcery of Scent; 31st January 2010 at 07:31 PM.

Yes indeedy!
    They come in a 125ml, 250ml and 500ml flacon (and more recently, a newly discovered 35ml). Prices are approx €96, €140 and €230 for the 3 bottles in ascending size.
    This is only a tiny picture to illustrate the 3 main sizes listed above.
    Aha! I noticed they have them at Colette. I wonder if the VAT is included for non EU countries. If it's not included I calculated it should be around 115$ USD, so not a bad deal at all.

Sur la Plage

I have not found one - nor am I looking for one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Not yet have I found my "Holy Grail"... but I've done quite a bit of smelling and I can smell in my head of which could possibly be my "Holy Grail". I think I'm getting closer perhaps to smelling 'the one' but i'm not really in any quest to find my "Holy Grail", I'm happy having a variety of fragrances which I really like.

Still looking, although my current favorite is Costume National Scent Intense - thanks Dimitri! I dont think I've ever 'enjoyed' a fragrance as much as CNSI, if that makes sense.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    for me, it's Guerlains Heritage EDT/EdP.
    Excellent choice, my friend!

Along with the aforementioned Giorgio for Men and Vintage Tabarome, Heritage EdT/EdP is one of the top five fragrances in my wardrobe.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Blog Entries

So far Bvlgari Aqva. 212 Men has the potential to be another one.

Havana. Definitely Havana.

Although I insist on the occasional fling with Eau Sauvage, original Perry Ellis, good old regular Aramis, vintage Paco (sorry, my nose says it's been changed, and much for the worse; it's now a powdery mess), Tenere, or, when I'm feeling particularly naughty, a soupcon of One Man Show.

But if I had to choose only one, then no question: Havana.

Does having a holy grail dozen count?

For me, the Holy Grail concept is as much about the quest as it is the acquisition of fragrances you love. I have several that I don't ever want to be without. But, the search for the ultimate will continue as long as I have the means to do so. It's out there somewhere. Maybe, it hasn't even been formulated yet. So, I'll keep sniffing and learning and enjoying those I find.

I tend to think the holy grail concept, as we work with seeking it, dooms that whole idea of having a scent custom made just for you. Think of it, sure it would be cool to be the only one on the globe to smell a certain way, but dang, think of the incredibly small chance that the scent would smell like your holy grail to you. You'd really have to put high stock in how you're the only one to wear it for it to climb to holy grail in your mind.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

On the one hand, Knize Ten has just about everything I like in it, and little or nothing that I dislike. On the other, wearing more than a couple of days in a row encourages my nose to just tune out almost all of the top and too much of the middle notes.

So while I may have found a "Holy Grail," making it a "signature/daily use" fragrance is out of the question.

I think it's relatively easy to find your holy grail - the trick is to know what you are looking for. I sampled about 500 fragrances before I realized I just wanted something sexy and youthful (without smelling like a douchebag) that just felt right. Turns out it was staring right in my face all along. Black XS.

Yep. That's it. It's all about the strawberry citrus stardust, pralines and Iso E super. It smells synthetic and slutty, but I love it!

It just fits. And it's super sexy. Funny how your holy grail doesn't have to be expensive, hard to find and made with rare and mystical ingredients - it just has to smell good and feel right. In fact, Black XS is what made me go out and sample so much - I was trying to find something better.

Lesson of the story: If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

Sidenote: Happily though, along my quest, I've found multiple other holy grails. I pretty much have one for each category: Eg. Fresh, bitter, green, aquatic, incense, etc. I've even found the perfect everyday scent, that fits all occasions. I'm pretty grateful I've discovered all these wonderful scents, but I spent wayyyyy too much on sampling over the past year when I didn't have to.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 1st February 2010 at 04:07 AM.

1. **Le No. 3 de Caron**

2. Tiffany for Men
    3. Givenchy Gentleman
    Last edited by Bossa Nova; 1st February 2010 at 05:14 AM.

I think many people - even those that claim to desire to find their holy grail - never will, or even if they do, they'd not accept it as such. Why? Because they are afraid to. This hobby fills a certain niche or void in one's life, and if one were really to find their holy grail, the search itself would become unneeded and the hole that the search fills would once again become vacant.

For many, the holy grail itself is nothing more than the search for the holy grail.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Sculpture is basic saying that we are all addicts, and we can't simply interrupt our addiction. We need the thrills of collecting. We need to try and buy compulsively.

We even lie to ourselves, not admitting when we've found the grail. We don't want the "calmer life" of knowing we've found the best.

That is what Sculpture is saying. It is a vice, an addiction!

P.S. I remember reading a post very much like this, in the archive.

Sculpture is basic saying that we are all addicts, and we can't simply interrupt our addiction. We need the thrills of collecting. We need to try and buy compulsively.

We even lie to ourselves, not admitting when we've found the grail. We don't want the "calmer life" of knowing we've found the best.

That is what Sculpture is saying. It is a vice, an addiction!
    I'm not saying it's a vice, an addiction, or anything negative. I was just making an observation on what I think it is, to many of us. Do you agree or disagree? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

I agree with your view, Sculpure, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm not saying it's a vice, an addiction, or anything negative. I was just making an observation on what I think it is, to many of us. Do you agree or disagree? I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter.
    Sorry if I'm straying, I do think I'm sort of on topic. I think fragrance collecting has been a vice and an addiction for me in the past. But, lately I find myself purchasing far fewer fragrances than usual. It's not that my interest in fragrance is waning, but my interest in my own collection is GROWING. Suddenly I want to WEAR my collection, instead of just look at it.

Me too. Nowadays I am selling more than buying. And in very small quantities. I've stabilized the collection.