Code of Conduct

Default Allure Homme (1999): still rocks?

Hi, guys! I already have Allure Homme Edition Blanche and Allure Homme Sport, and I'm considering blind buying Allure Homme (1999). Do you think it still rocks, or is it aging now (it's like so 11 years ago...)? Are there better new alternatives? Please no niche or hard to find. Thanks!

Default Re: Allure Homme (1999): still rocks?

I've always liked it. I think it's one of those unfortunates damned by it's success. If you like the flankers I can't imagine how you couldn't help but like the big daddy that gave them life. Just sayin'.

I rather like Allure Homme, but before you dedicate yourself to a purchase, walk down to the discount perfumer in your mall and give Perry Ellis m a sniff. If you're worry about Allure being dated, m is a somewhat updated version of a similar formula that you might find agreeable.
    Last edited by Royal; 19th March 2010 at 04:14 AM.
    I refuse to sink.

it's one of my top 3 fragrances.. i love allure homme

Thank you all for your responses. About Perry Ellis m: not available in Brazil. And aside from blas (and his cute avatar), and don't get much enthusiasm around Allure Homme. That's not a good sign...

It's a wonderful fragrance. Snatch it up.

Yes, definitely not out or dated.
    A warm, spicy oriental, very wearable in most conditions (albeit one might want to go easy on the trigger in hot, humid clima) and comforting.
    A feel good scent for me which I frequently reach for, be it casually, romantically or even special occasions.

I'm seriuosly glad that the memory of an ex GF of mine is somewhat fading as she loved it and I had bad memories linked to it.
    But I'm all good and abl to wear it again without any hesitation.

Sur la Plage

I never felt it rocked, nor any of the flankers (which are much worse). It's OK, but nothing special IMO.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 20th March 2010 at 01:14 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

It's still good, yes!
    And it'll last you forever,
    very strong juice indeed!

The original Allure Homme is much better than the Blanche and Sport version you already own.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's a wonderful fragrance. Snatch it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    It's still good, yes!
    Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Yes, definitely not out or dated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    The original Allure Homme is much better than the Blanche and Sport version you already own.
    Very positive vibes I get here, guys. I do like the flankers I already have, and if you are right I'll LOVE Allure Homme. Now I feel more confident to give it a try, as fall is coming tomorrow. thank you all!

Its overrated IMO. I would have liked more projection. It's a skin scent on me after an hour

Allure Homme is still more attractive than its flankers, but it never really gets beyond its "nice" tag. I just expect a little more from something bearing the Chanel name.

Allure Homme is my love.... Buy this one ...

I'm wearing it right now, it is pleasant, but I still wish it lingered a little more outward from the body than it does.

However, its "Sport" brother is probably my favorite of its genre.

Yes, even to me, while I neither wear nor particularly like it, I still find enough qualities of this frag as to rate objectively rate it as complex, balanced, contemporary yet elegant enough to perfectly match also more classic attire, quite sensual and warm too, without being obtrusive, plus with the excellent lasting power for which the majority of Chanel frags are appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Yes, even to me, while I neither wear nor particularly like it, I still find enough qualities of this frag as to rate objectively rate it as complex, balanced, contemporary yet elegant enough to perfectly match also more classic attire, quite sensual and warm too, without being obtrusive, plus with the excellent lasting power for which the majority of Chanel frags are appreciated
    Quite a review, Ken_Russell, thanks a lot! The score so far is this:

Can’t llive without it: 5
    That’s an ok scent: 7
    I’m done with it: 1

its a very nice smell at first but gets boring after a while. i cant remember when was the last time i put it on. its one of those scents where it wows you upon first smell but sits in the corner a week later. one thing ill give it credit for is it lasts a long time on my skin and is probably the most versatile frag i own other than maybe GIT
    Last edited by Armor King; 22nd March 2010 at 06:34 AM.

I think it's a great one to have. I like it better than Sport or Blanche. My girlfriend loves it

Haven't worn this in years - since I finished my bottle. I recently spritzed it at Sephora to remind myself how it smells. And I say no, it doesn't smell dated. It strikes me now as a nice, safe fragrance. ("Nice" and "safe" can be dubious compliments, I know.)

If you like the flankers, you will not be disappointed in the original. It's better than its brothers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    +1
    Last edited by Mr. Bon Vivant; 22nd March 2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Strunk & White
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

It's a very pleasant, versatile, well-made scent - the best of the range, IMO, and one of the safest blind buys imaginable, if you insist on going that route.

Also, it hasn't aged at all.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 22nd March 2010 at 05:19 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I'm going to find my bottle again and try wearing it. I liked it at first and then got sick of it. A girlfriend said she thought it smelled like a floor polish, and that doomed it for me at that point. Now, however, I think that might be what makes me wear it: I'll think does-it-or-doesn't-it smell like a floor polish during a day wearing it. That'll be fun.

I don't think it smells dated at all, so if that's your worry I say you've got no worries. If you like it, it's for you. I'm going to work liking it.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

For reasons that elude me Allure gets a lot of hostility on BN, I don't know why, it's a very nice fragrance! I'm on my second bottle.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It's not a bad scent really but it has been copied extensively since its debut. So for me, Allure Homme is pretty much a 'me too' fragrance - it doesn't rock at all. In a blind test I would never have guessed it to be something from Chanel. You can find similar scents for much less $.

It was not my intention to make a poll out of this, but I can't resist. Here are the last results:

Get it like there is no tomorrow: 8
    You won't regret to buy it: 10
    Run away from it: 2

So I get to the conclusion that it is quite a safe blind buy, and Allure is not dated at all. Thank you all guys!!!!

It's excellent.