Code of Conduct

Default Pierre Bourdon's Top 5

What do you think are Pierre Bourdon's top 5 creations for men? I haven't tried much so my opinion is very limited. Anyway, mine is:

1. Cool Water
    2. Canali Man
    3. GF Bluemusk
    4. Good Life
    5. Live Jazz

Hope you guys can share yours.

Default Re: Pierre Bourdon's Top 5

Ambre Topkapi is by far my favourite scent of all time. I know a lot of people are divided on it, but it is precisely to my taste.

2. Mark Birley for men is a fantastic citrus that doesn't get much talk here.
    3. Dolce Vita may not be the most sophisticated perfume, but I love it on a woman.
    4 & 5. The pair he's made for Frederic Malle. Not really my thing, but both very interesting.

Queue Kouros love fest. ;-)

Kouros
    Cologne à la Française
    Cologne à la Russe
    Cologne à la l'Italienne
    Green Irish Tweed (possibly with Oliver Creed)
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 19th March 2010 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Kouros
    Cologne à la Française
    Cologne à la Russe
    Cologne à la l'Italienne
    Green Irish Tweed
    If you want to list GIT, you should mention all the authors as listed by Michael Edwards i.e., Bourdon + Olivier Creed. However I don't think GIT qualifies as its not a solo Bourdon effort.
    -

He also designed Bergamotto Marino for Ferre, if memory serves!

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    If you want to list GIT, you should mention all the authors as listed by Michael Edwards i.e., Bourdon + Olivier Creed. However I don't think GIT qualifies as its not a solo Bourdon effort.
    Perhaps you're correct in slapping me on my scented wrists over this. However, I was just going by Luca Turin's attribution from The Guide, "...it was composed in 1985 by Pierre Bourdon, who three years later rehashed a similar structure in the hugely successful and endlessly imitated Cool Water." As you know, I e-mailed Creed recently asking them if Bourdon created GIT and they wrote me back stating that GIT is a sole creation of Oliver Creed. You state that Edwards claims it was a collaboration between Creed and Bourdon, so we have 3 possible attributions.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th March 2010 at 01:14 PM.

I am wearing Mark Birley today and would vote for it as well.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

I only know three of his; one I like, two I disslike!

I like his Kouros..!

I disslike Live Jazz, and the über-mainstream Cool Water!

But hey, the man created Dolce Vita, gotta love him for that!

In no particular order:

Feminitè du Bois
    Bergamotto Marino
    Kouros
    Paul & Joe Bleu
    Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Perhaps you're correct in slapping me on the wrists over this. However, I was just going by Luca Turin's attribution from The Guide, "...it was composed in 1985 by Pierre Bourdon, who three years later rehashed a similar structure in the hugely successful and endlessly imitated Cool Water." As you know, I e-mailed Creed recently asking them if Bourdon created GIT and they wrote me back stating that GIT is a sole creation of Oliver Creed. You state that Edwards claims it was a collaboration between Creed and Bourdon, so we have 3 possible attributions.
    And yet Turin has not been sued or asked to change his attribution; indeed, the second edition carried the same attribution. Creed have been known to ask for threads on forums to be removed when somebody expresses an opinion questioning their statements, so why have they not asked/demanded that Turin change his attribution?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 19th March 2010 at 11:09 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Kouros
    French Lover
    GIT
    Live Jazz
    Cool Water

...in that order. I can't believe he made Mont Blanc Individuel! Just found out. That stuff is a cloying mess!

I got really excited when I saw this thread. Thought it was Bourdon's 5 favorite scents!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    And yet Turin has not been sued or asked to change his attribution; indeed, the second edition carried the same attribution. Creed have been known to ask for threads on forums to be removed when somebody expresses an opinion questioning their statements, so why have they not asked/demanded that Turin change his attribution?
    You should email Creed USA to find out. You can also ask Creed why they haven't been sued when they state that one of their fragrances was created for so and so famous personality.
    -

You should email Creed USA to find out. You can also ask Creed why they haven't been sued when they state that one of their fragrances was created for so and so famous personality.
    It's no use contacting Creed USA about anything. They sent me a rubber stamped answer to my inquiry as to who created GIT, in which I specifically pressed the Turin/Edwards claim of Bourdon's involvement. This is what I got in response from Creed USA: "Thank you for your interest in CREED and for writing. CREED Green Irish Tweed was created by Olivier CREED."
    So back on topic, until convinced otherwise, I still think Green Irish Tweed is a valid entry into Bourdon's top 5 masculine creations.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 20th March 2010 at 03:49 PM.

You should email Creed USA to find out

They are hardly likely to answer that.

You can also ask Creed why they haven't been sued when they state that one of their fragrances was created for so and so famous personality

In my opinion, that would be because they are very careful about how they word things and who says them. Claims appear as rumours with no clear source. They are different in many places. It would be easy for the company to deny they made them and claim that somebody else down the chain made them. It woyuld be very complicated top tie any particular claim to any particular person/time.
    Also, I don't know the US legal system but Creed would have significantly more resources than, for example, me.
    Maybe a "class action" could be attempted?
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 20th March 2010 at 11:41 AM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I haven't tried all his fragrances, but he's got a lot of classics under his belt. Of what I have smelled, I prefer, in this order:

1. Ambre Topkapi
    2. Live Jazz
    3. Bergamotto Marino
    4. Cool Water
    5. Kouros

I also remember liking Cool Water for Women a lot back in the day
    Sales thread here

Seems that more people like Bergamotto Marino more than Bluemusk. Can anybody compare? I haven't sniffed Bergamotto Marino..