Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Is Vanille 44 worth it?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes!

2 5.71%
  • Yes, but only if you love vanilla and already own other vanilla prominent scents.

2 5.71%
  • Probably not. I'd rather buy something else.

8 22.86%
  • Hell no!

23 65.71%

Default Vanille 44 - Is It Worth It? (385$ for 100ml)

$385 for 100ml plus shipping. Discuss!

1. At this price, you could buy SDV and Tobacco Vanille. (or Havana Vanille)

2. At this price, you could get 2 regular Le Labo 100ml's. (Rose 31 and Iris 39 for the girl would be nice)

3. At this price, you could get two Lutens bell jars. (M. Sheldrake needs to create a truly unisex vanilla scent that is less on the sweet side IMO)

4. At this price, you could buy a pair of luxury Italian oxfords. (They'd be seen by people far across the room, while they'd have to cuddle you to get a whiff of V44)

5. At this price, you could buy a Playstation 3. (Blu-ray HD gaming goodness or vanilla 'body spray'?)

6. At this price, you could buy enough vanille absolute / surabsolute / extract / bourbon CO2, etc to make kiloliters of Vanille 44. (Whether you are as good as Alberto Morillas is another story)

So -- what do you think of Vanille 44 as a purchase? Would you pull the trigger?

Do I want it? Yes. Do I have the guts to click "Pay Now?" No. Do I need an enabler? Nose says yes. Wallet says no. Girl says hell no!

Default Re: Vanille 44 - Is It Worth It? (385$ for 100ml)

Hell no! That's more expensive than a typical Amouage, which is about $3.00 per ml.

Banned

Would you enjoy Vanille 44 more than SDV, Tobacco Vanille, Havana Vanille, Rose 31, Iris 39, SL Bell Jars, Italo Oxfords, PS3, and/or a personal stash of vanilla crack? If the answer is no, skip it. Sounds like you need some help letting go of this one.. That said, it's a quite unique vanilla fragrance. Maybe it's the Iso E Super, who knows?! I think it's worth it. And the refills are 20% off

It's lovely how Alberto Morillas soaked the vanilla with amber, woods (being nearly incense-like w/ gaiac), and touches of some bright airy aromachemical, not sure what it is. And it smells SO good in hot weather.
    Last edited by teger; 19th March 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Basenotes Institution

'Worth' is so hard to compare, from person-to-person, I have found.

I love Vanille 44, but alas I do not own a bottle.

Is ANY fragrance worth the (or even considerably less, or even any) money? Hihgly subjective.
    Do I crave some ridiculously expensive fragrances? Yes!
    Do I purchase them? If the craving overpowers mind without wallet protesting or if the urge to buy overpowers both yes.
    But it's happening more and more often.
    Would I consider 4 $ per ml? not YET...

Why would you mention such poor examples of vanilla such as SDV and TV...just because they are expensive?? I just say, go with something that offers better value for your dollar, that's all.

Basenotes Plus

Just get a small decant. Problem solved. And everyone's happy. No one needs a 100ml of anything...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 19th March 2010 at 05:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Why would you mention such poor examples of vanilla such as SDV and TV...
    My hand is on my chest and I just gasped in disbelief ... take it back damn you , take it back

Hell Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    6. At this price, you could buy enough vanille absolute / surabsolute / extract / bourbon CO2, etc to make kiloliters of Vanille 44.
    Undoubtedly the right thing to do

I love vanilla, and have tried many, and own a few as well. I currently have a small decant of this one. Truth is it is great, but not great enough to command that price. If you love vanillas, sample them, as then you will be able to navigate through all of the subtleties, and decide which are worth owning.

Meh. I found it smelled like a feminine scent from the 80s. That's actually why I liked it. But overall, I wasn't impressed, considering the price. It is a nice scent though, but enjoyable is as far as it goes.

They should have released as a regular in the line - after all, it fits in well with Rose 31 and Patchouli 24, in the sense that it doesn't even really smell like vanilla.
    Sales thread here

Can't say 'Hell no' just because I haven't tried it yet. Seeing that there are fans of Vanille 44 despite its hefty price tag means there has to be something worthwhile in the fragrance. It could just be its exclusivity tag that may make it worth it for a few of us. Well there are heaps of good vanilla frags out there including Spiritueuse Double Vanille & Tobacco vanille. If these don't satisfy your craving then you have look further and that's probably Vanille 44 territory.

Honestly you can't say if it's worth the tag or not. It really depends on how deep your pocket really is. No offense meant but if you are dithering, I would say it's not time, just yet. Instead get a largish decant from a split so it doesn't hurt your wallet and yet at the same time gives you the delight of owning/wearing Vanille 44.

Just my .02 cent ;-)

I tried it and was very underwhelmed. This coming from the biggest Rose 31 fan around.

I have smelled hundreds of expensive perfumes and none has ever smelled like it should be over $100.

I purchased Vanille 44 last April from Colette and I just recently sold it to a BN'er. It's a very peppery vanilla with strong cedar (iso esuper?) undertones. If you get a chance to smell the far superior IMO Poivre 23, you'll see the immediate connection to Vanille 44. It's a very nice fragrance don't get me wrong, but it didn't quite satisfy my vanilla sweet tooth -- that honor goes to SDV

Thanks for all your great input!

I am going to go for an 8ml decant, which won't hurt my wallet much as gupts and Diamondflame suggested. If I still have the urge for some more after I finish my decant, then looks like I will have to give Colette (or the decanter) a call.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    Why would you mention such poor examples of vanilla such as SDV and TV...just because they are expensive?? I just say, go with something that offers better value for your dollar, that's all.
    Do you have any good / better vanilla scents to suggest? The reason I mentioned SDV and TV are because I enjoy them. I've tried lots of vanilla scents like Pi EDT & EDP, Montale's offerings, most of CSP's offerings, La Maison Vanille 'something', and even pricier ones like Indult's Tihota, which are all not what I've been looking for. I am really open to suggestions of something of quality that offers better value.. my wallet would be happier.
    Last edited by moltening; 20th March 2010 at 05:42 PM.

Dependent

Molt, come to Singapore lah, we'll grab cheap Macdonald's vanilla milkshake, then go buy you Havana Vanille, and you get a tax refund! 7% off!

It's good, but not $385 good.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather