Code of Conduct

Default Scents You Have to Absolutely Bath In

What fragrances do you have to shower yourself with to enjoy the scent all day?

I had to wear literally 12 sprays of Paul Smith London to get it to last from 9am - 3pm. I've never worn more than 6-7 sprays of anything so this was outside of my comfort zone. Even after 12 sprays, it was only as loud as if I'd put on 2 sprays of Rive Gauche to my neck and one to the wrist. Its a bit of a disappointment to say the least.

Dependent

Default Re: Scents You Have to Absolutely Bath In

Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge EDC (vintage), CK Be, Bulgari Pour Homme maybe, but especially Eau D'Orange Verte.
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th March 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Nautica Sunset Voyage.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Chanels two Pour Monsieurs.

Lanvin Vetyver
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Guerlain Imperiale

Kenzo Vintage. I swear to god I can spray 100 sprays on myself and still not really smell anything

Basenotes Plus

Yohji Homme.

Perry Ellis 360 Black. 16 sprays ( !)....but, honestly, the sprayer really doesn't "mist". It kinda squirts out the juice. I think only half the usual amount comes out of this sprayer. Still, 16 sprays really puts me out of my comfort zone. The fragrance also has poor projection/longevity . Never go fragrance shopping in a mall to "cheer yourself up". Never.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Yohji Homme.
    Can't believe I missed this one out. Most definitely.

Lagerfeld Photo.

12 Sprays of Paul Smith London? My god. That is a one or at max two spray scent. Potent stuff.

Me? None. Absolutely not a single scent do I need to bathe in. At most bathing in a scent will lead to it being extremely overpowering and off-putting for the first hour, and also just induces olfactory fatigue more quickly.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Programme Homme

Calamus by CdG.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Creed's Neroli Sauvage
    the Guerlain Eaux de Cologne
    Roger & Gallet Cologne

But i suppose these were meant to be light and brief experiences of scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    Chanels two Pour Monsieurs.
    As in the Concentree as well? I am a liberal-applier and a powerhouse freak, but "liberal" applications of Concentree will bring on headaches for me
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Unforgivable
    Gucci PH II
    Bulgari PH
    Last edited by Pappy; 20th March 2010 at 02:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Creed's Neroli Sauvage
    the Guerlain Eaux de Cologne
    Roger & Gallet Cologne

But i suppose these were meant to be light and brief experiences of scent.

As in the Concentree as well? I am a liberal-applier and a powerhouse freak, but "liberal" applications of Concentree will bring on headaches for me
    I'm gonna have to agree. 3-4 sprays of CPMC at MAX

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Especially Concentrée.
    Three sprays untop of eath other on both arms, and my neck = 9 in all!
    Otherwise it will disapper within two hours (... does anyway)
    But I am on my first bottle ever, maybe it's just oooold?!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    Eau Sauvage, Habit Rouge EDC (vintage), CK Be, Bulgari Pour Homme maybe, but especially Eau D'Orange Verte.
    Vintage Habit Rouge EDC? Really? That's surprising since my current EDC is potent enough that two sprays is almost too much. Now I really have to try the vintage.

And I definitely agree with Eau d'Orange Verte. Gladly the 200ml bottle has a monster sprayer.

Baie de Genievre.

If 12 sprays is considered "bathing," then I do that with all my fragrances (except A*Men).

I know this sounds a bit cliché, but my skin is a fragrance-killer. People have to put their nose right on my skin to smell it, otherwise they won't notice it.

The only one that I go more than 12 sprays is Sean John I Am King. I've had to go about 30 sprays with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSeoulMan View Post
    Sean John I Am King. I've had to go about 30 sprays with it.
    OMBG! That is one expensive habbit you have there!

Eau D'Orange Verte will not even stick if you apply 60 sprays to clothing.
    It is still gone in 2 hours, only leaving a hint of oakmoss.
    Yet I still do this regularly. LOL
    There's other scents which I loved almost as much as EDOV, that did the same thing...wouldn't stick no matter how insane the application,
    Penhaligon's West Indian Limes
    Trumper's West Indian Limes
    Guerlain's Imperiale edc
    Creed Citrus Biggarade
    Malle Biggarade (immeasurably better than his dreadful concentree)
    Arancia Di Capri
    they wouldn't stick but I didn't buy them as EDOV is just better / more contemporary (quite a feat for 1979).

Other scent I put 18 or more sprays of, in order for them to last and project:

Kilian Prelude to Love
    Hermes Concentre D'Orange Verte
    Truefitt&Hill West Indian Limes
    Creed Windsor
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Selection Verte
    Roger & Gallet JMF Extra Vieille
    Bombay Sapphire Infusion
    Sisley Eau De Campagne

Alot of my wardrobe is unfortuneatly like this, but I cannot control my taste, nor do i want to.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 19th March 2010 at 08:37 PM.

Re: EDOV, if TdH is sooo loaded with Iso-E, does anyone know if it would work to mix those two, mostly EDOV, but a bit of TdH and that might extend the EDOV's longevity?
    I think I'm going to try this and let you guys know if it works.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Sur la Plage

None - But I don't usually like/buy "weak" fragrances.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Other scent I put 18 or more sprays of, in order for them to last and project:
    Creed Millesime Imperial
    Creed Millesime had rather good longevity and reasonable projection on me, hhhmmm I'm surprised at this one.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Vintage Habit Rouge EDC? Really? That's surprising since my current EDC is potent enough that two sprays is almost too much. Now I really have to try the vintage.
    Docman, yes, as much a complex and rich fragrance it is, the vintage EDC (mine says copyright 1976 under the bottle) disappears rather fast. I was chatting with another BNer who had consulted with Mr. G about it. It seems that was how certain Guerlain EDCs were created in the 70s - light, before the 80s powerhouse era. Maybe Mr. G can further explain why.

I get the same dismal longevity with the vintage Shalimar EDC.

If 12 sprays is considered "bathing," then I do that with all my fragrances (except A*Men).

I know this sounds a bit cliché, but my skin is a fragrance-killer. People have to put their nose right on my skin to smell it, otherwise they won't notice it.

The only one that I go more than 12 sprays is Sean John I Am King. I've had to go about 30 sprays with it.
    I seem to have that effect on many scents. Question: Is your skin dry? It seems that when I MOISTURIZE the heck out of my skin, the scent lasts (a little) longer. (of course with a non-scented moisturizer.) ... that could be burning off the scent very quickly. I've also taken to, after the moisturizer application, rubbing in some coconut oil for good measure (sometimes the EVCO, if the scent goes nicely with a very slight coconut smell) on the areas where I'm going to spray scent.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Bulgari Aqva and Mugler Cologne. Bulgari Aqva lasts quite a while but nobody can sense it unless I spray quite a bit.

That and Fashion Avenue by Bond No.9. I know it's a women's scent but I LOVE how this smells.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Basenotes Institution

Female butting in .....

Jo Malone Honeysuckle and Jasmine. This one you absolutely have to bathe in for any longevity .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Hi mysticknot... sad to say I already butted in. (but I do that don't I?) LOL
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Hi mysticknot... sad to say I already butted in. (but I do that don't I?) LOL
    Hello fellow female !
    Sorry guys !

Another I would LOVE to bathe in but can't because of sheer expense is Chanel No.5 extrait - longevity on me is poor - about 2-3 hours. It gets very soft within 30 minutes or so. Why or why ???

Gucci By Gucci ( for women ) - spray spray away - lovely for half an hour,then, zippo but musk .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 20th March 2010 at 12:41 AM.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I get the same dismal longevity with the vintage Shalimar EDC.
    Same goes for me. AFAIK, traditional EDCs are meant to be splashed on... And none of them last. That's why they usually come in larger bottles..

Gendarme

- That's why I now buy the 10oz aluminum recharger and spray away. A much better atomizer on it than their glass bottles, btw.
    Last edited by adonis; 20th March 2010 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    I seem to have that effect on many scents. Question: Is your skin dry? It seems that when I MOISTURIZE the heck out of my skin, the scent lasts (a little) longer. (of course with a non-scented moisturizer.) ... that could be burning off the scent very quickly. I've also taken to, after the moisturizer application, rubbing in some coconut oil for good measure (sometimes the EVCO, if the scent goes nicely with a very slight coconut smell) on the areas where I'm going to spray scent.
    My skin is dry, but not excessively so. I'm not ashy and I moisturize after taking a shower. I'll have to try the oil thing to see if that works. I don't have coconut oil, but I have a very viscous mineral oil.

My skin is dry, but not excessively so. I'm not ashy and I moisturize after taking a shower. I'll have to try the oil thing to see if that works. I don't have coconut oil, but I have a very viscous mineral oil.
    any unscented oil should help! (nice that we "drink up" scents, eh?)

And I "swear by" extra virgin coconut oil. Use it in whatever I can, it moistens my skin, whitens my teeth... and makes scent sillage/longevity better. It is, contrary to some studies that based their studies on hydrogenated oils, not a bad fat.
    Last edited by actiasluna; 20th March 2010 at 03:31 AM.

Blog Entries

I remembered when I first started, my skin could tame Le Malé into a skin scent even at 5-6 sprays (with incredibly longevity at least). My skin's a sillage killer. However, back then I was using either Axe or Old Spice body wash (it was a transitional period, cut me some slack! :P), I started to take into account that my skin is possibly dry. So I read Divatologist's long explanation on how to get a scent to last longer, tried her method, then slowly just made my own regime. I switched out body washes for a scent-free Dove product and used Neutrogena body oil (again, fragrance free) after showers. I just made sure to scrub real good too. After a while, I just came into terms with how my skin is and kept it light on the trigger finger regardless (no more than 4 sprays). I just sorta gave up on the quest for good sillage. It just ain't happening. However, it did end up having a mind of it's own because my own olfactory fatigue kicks in and some people will smell it even when I can't. LOL

So in the end, my regime switch did help with how my fragrances reacted in terms of sillage and longevity (possibly my perception of smell improved too?). To answer the OP's question. I feel that Mugler Cologne can be bathed in and I think the original AdP Colonia would require me to apply that much. I put on 3-4 sprays and that sucker's goooonnneeee after a couple hours. I have overdosed on a number of fragrances before and like I said, I still keep it light on the trigger finger just to err on the side of caution. Anyone wore Burberry Bitchslap before? I have! It was a Touch flanker I made by accident from over application. LOL.
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 20th March 2010 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rawk Lee View Post
    .... Anyone wore Burberry Bitchslap before? I have! It was a Touch flanker I made by accident from over application. LOL.
    Yup, I have worn that before. My first year of university....it was awful ! I put too much, so I suppose that was my fault
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

I usually jump in a vat of Kenneth Cole Reaction before going out. The smell is so light and really has no longevity or sillage. It's really disappointing. That is what I get for pretty much blind buying!

GPHII and MI are quite weak even on my skin

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    12 Sprays of Paul Smith London? My god. That is a one or at max two spray scent. Potent stuff.

Me? None. Absolutely not a single scent do I need to bathe in. At most bathing in a scent will lead to it being extremely overpowering and off-putting for the first hour, and also just induces olfactory fatigue more quickly.
    Myself have not found a scent too weak on me that I'd need to bathe in it. Burberry London for instance lasts almost 24 hrs on me and with a good sillage. My skin chem is great and, yes, I'm one lucky bastard.

There is no scent I need to spray more than 4 times...absolutely no scent.