Code of Conduct

Question Amber: Pure (or close), Dry, and Beautiful?

I've been doing some research on amber scents, which I am woefully behind on sampling, but haven't really been able to find what I'm looking for. So I'm seeking your help!

I'm looking for a fairly straight-forward, dry (i.e. not infused with vanilla, and not at all edible) version of amber. An amber I might be able to pull of on a warm day. I've researched the usual suspects, but haven't found one that seems to fit this bill precisely. Based on the reviews, I've come up with a few that might be close. Am I correct?

Profumum's Ambra Aurea grey amber; labdadum?
    MPG's Ambre Precieux could be good, but I still suspect some added sweetness. Thoughts? And how am I supposed to get it?
    Goutal's Ambre Fetishe - dryish, smoky amber?

Among the other respected ambers:

Montale's Blue Amber is probably too vanillic
    Lutens' Ambre Sultan, although dry, is probably a little too spicy and camphorous. I'll still try it though.
    Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe sounds very sweet and boozy - not characteristics I'm particularly into.
    TF's Amber Absolute - feedback indicates a very syrupy-sweet and dense amber
    L'Artisan's two offerings sound underwhelming

(Note that all impressions are based on Directory reviews. I haven't sampled any of these. I'm looking to sample 3-4 amber scents - for now - and want to target the ones that will most likely to work for me.)

What am I missing? I know the perfect amber scent for me is out there; I just haven't dug it up yet!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th March 2010 at 05:17 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Amber: Pure (or close), Dry, and Beautiful?

I absolutely ADORE Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe. I know you said you thought it was "boozy" but I don't get that at all from it. I was actually just wearing it yesterday and, man, it's just wonderful. I'm not too great at describing fragrances but it was deep, smooth, natural, and just beautiful. There was a tinge (and I mean slight) of camphor, but it didn't detract from the depth and beauty of the amber. If anything, it just gave it some edges. Defined it a little. If you enjoy amber, you should at the very least obtain a sample from tpc. I just have a little decant of it but after giving it a few full wears, it's towards the top of my to-buy list. Good luck in your quest, fellow amber-lover.

Cool Re: Amber: Pure (or close), Dry, and Beautiful?

LIveJazz: Look up the notes in the reviews of Signature by St. Dupont. (I just ran out of it--oops) but it might be precisely what you're looking for.
    I doubt anyone would call it a gourmand, and no, it has no vanilla. Just a very attractive scent with a great amber drydown.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Dependent

Ambre Russe isn't the sweetened rum-y cocktail kind of "boozy". Imagine dark raw whiskey (or hard liquor) instead (thanks Amit, I couldn't make the association till you said it), with leather. It lasts extremely long on skin before the honeyed spiced tea accord becomes a little more prominent a couple of hours later. It is sweet, but a dark (at times the opening vaguely resembles unsweetened dark chocolate) and bitter sweet. Not vanilla-prominent. IMO.
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th March 2010 at 06:14 PM.

Teo Cabanel's Alahine is a beautiful, dry, dusty amber.

Aventure by Galimard to me is a dry amber scent.

As soon as I read the thread title I thought Ambre 114.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Lutens' Ambre Sultan, although dry, is probably a little too spicy and camphorous. I'll still try it though.
    Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe sounds very sweet and boozy - not characteristics I'm particularly into.
    TF's Amber Absolute - feedback indicates a very syrupy-sweet and dense amber.
    Yes to Ambre Sultan ( though it was too play-doughy for me ); no to Ambre Russe ( which is great, but not at all what you're seeking ); no to Ambre Absolute ( good but super-sweet and dessert-like ).

Some good suggestions there & want to suggest L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale as a very good example of a DRY amber for your consideration.
    Last edited by SoGent; 23rd March 2010 at 03:31 PM.

Thank you, all! I may have to expand my amber sampling plans. Even of the ones that most likely won't work for me, there are some well-regarded heavy hitters in there, and I'm curious to see what all the hoopla is about!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    Some good suggestions there & want to suggest L'Ombre Fauve by Parfumerie Generale as a very good example of a DRY amber for your consideration.
    Yes! This one is lovely. Though, one should be prepared to like "animalic" as well, IMO. And even though there is a nice smoky, incense-y vanilla in the dry down, it isn't half as sweet as most others.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    +1 A fine choice from Histoire de Parfums. IMO worth a sniff at least.

yep, me too. +1 that
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

+1 for the Ambre 114. It has a dry medicinal opening that fades into a superb amber.

Also I enjoy the Ambre Fetiche. It starts off with a nice incense smell and also becomes a very nice dry amber fragrance. It's also cheaper- a 100ml bottle costing about $60.

Tom Ford's Amber Absolute is just that: very dry yet full. I personally dont like it that linear, but I suggest sampling it.
    If fragrance has a gender, so does all art.

MPG's Ambre Precieux for sure. Pure amber. Try Henri Bendel in New York.

Basenotes Institution

Sample ALL of them LiveJazz. Your version of dry is going to be so different than mine or anyone else's.

Of course, I have a soft spot for Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens, but if that's too sweet for you I would head straight for Tom Ford's or the Goutal. All 3 are fantastic IMO.

The driest ones I've tried are Ambre Sultan and Amber Precieux. Also, Profumum Ambra Aurea and Tom Ford Amber Absolute are leathery and smoky and very gorgeous. I disagree that L'Ombre Fauve is dry--it has a rather sweet but smoky vanilla in the base.

Hard to have an amber without vanilla, though---it is part of the basic recipe.
    Last edited by Asha; 24th March 2010 at 03:04 AM.

I know that Ambre Sultan is dry and beautiful, but I do not know if it is pure with so many spices that includes .. Is there a completely or more pure?

Another one to consider is l'Occitane's Ambre. Very simple.