Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 52 of 52
  1. #31

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    That one is really nice, you snob
    Yeh I know.. I just didn`t want to "downgrade" myselves to theirs level!

  2. #32

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Firstly, I believe that your character and demeanor will leave more of an impression than your scent will.

    That said, you never want to be remembered for being an egregiously horrible smelling individual (overbearingly sprayed or overwhelmingly au naturale)
    The vast majority of ladies I've met have not cared as long as its "nice".

    Personally, I stay away from the high maintenance ladies that require an extremely uncommon or expensive scent.

    Lastly, smelling unique and distinguished is one thing, but needing a certain fragrance to compensate for a lack of self character is another.
    Last edited by JMang; 20th March 2010 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Brief grammatical errors

  3. #33

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post


    Yeh I know.. I just didn`t want to "downgrade" myselves to theirs level!
    Do you know how many douchebags wear each and every one of your fragrances? It's probably in the thousands at least. I won't let any douche stop me from wearing any of my fragrances.

    Disclaimer: I am a certified douchebag since 1993.

  4. #34

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Do you wear a fragrance because you love it, or because other people don't have it ? Why people call a fragrance 'common' when it's outstanding and beautiful blows my mind.
    Last edited by trapper; 20th March 2010 at 11:38 AM.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

  5. #35
    Hob Dobson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,107

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Do you wear a fragrance because you love it, or because other people don't have it ?
    I usually wear a fragrance because *I* have it!

    If many, many other people wear it too, then I don't have to worry about it being discontinued just yet.


    Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Why people call a fragrance 'common' when it's outstanding and beautiful blows my mind.
    Anything outstanding and beautiful is common if it's encountered frequently enough. That doesn't make it low-class, even if it becomes underappreciated in the process and the resale price goes down.

  6. #36
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,763

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    I was once wearing Drakkar Noir.
    She said, "Oh no, he used to wear it" (referring to her ex).
    Got all emotional and ran away.
    How about that?

    Which is kind of strange since so few men wear scents, it would be extremely rarely an issue.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th March 2010 at 12:11 PM.

  7. #37

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I was once wearing Drakkar Noir.
    She said, "Oh no, he used to wear it" (referring to her ex).
    Got all emotional and ran away.
    How about that?

    Which is kind of strange since so few men wear scents, it would be extremely rarely an issue.
    Renato
    Read as: Still in love with her ex. Get out while you can.

    I'm going to buy a mini bottle of Acqua di Gio and Armani Code as an Ex Test. If a girl reacts to either of those like that, then I know I should find another woman.

  8. #38

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    I get around this problem of being recognised by.... wearing "feminine-marketed scents" that are quite rare to find in the first place. Of all the "femmes" in my collection, I've only smelled Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT once in my 2 years of having it - on another female, at a party.

    I know unless I ran into another BNer, almost no Australian man would put half of my wardrobe in their rotation. When I get the odd whiff of what an Aussie man wears in a crowded train, I notice they stick to aquatics and fougeres; which is nice because I don't wear those categories.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

  9. #39

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    I've seen women correctly guess men's Scents quite a few times

  10. #40
    Hollandaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Oakland, California
    Posts
    1,120
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Read as: Still in love with her ex. Get out while you can.

    I'm going to buy a mini bottle of Acqua di Gio and Armani Code as an Ex Test. If a girl reacts to either of those like that, then I know I should find another woman.
    I'm still friends with two of my ex's whom I've worn Acqua di Gio around. Bear in mind, I wore this stuff 9-10 years ago and never owned another bottle of cologne until 2007. Thankfully, I was a pretty cool dude anyway and there's no ill feelings at all. So at least for one of my ex's who could probably distinctly recognize AdG won't have a negative olfactory association with it. Despite that one case, I'd rather not take any chances and use less common fragrances (to the masses at least) as signature scents.

  11. #41

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs View Post
    I always laugh at this statement, if you honestly believe a girl will know the exact name of your scent or even if an ex wore it she would never know, you guys are giving women way too much credit here. Thats like saying if this girl is wearing a perfume i will know what shes wearing when i honestly have no idea what it is or if someone else i knew wore it. The bottom line is if it smells good thats all she knows or cares shes not gonna be like oh your wearing JOOP
    Its NOT about if women know what a certain scent is, its about what it conjures up. A lot of our memory is associated with smell. So if the AdG brings up negative memories/emotions of an Ex you wouldn't want that to be connected to you, ESPECIALLY if you are just getting to know each other. I think the issue with a lot of people on basenotes is that they dont want to risk being associated with those issues that a designer scent might bring up in a certain "potential" love interest. When what "they" REALLY want is for 'them" to have that effect on people with lesser known and unique scents. People want to leave an impression and be remembered, which I am guilty of.

  12. #42

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    .....and would you really want to be with someone who would let a cologne her ex used to wear get in the way of knowing you as an individual?

  13. #43

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    There are those that will recognize a fragrance.....and there are those that will never know xyz brand from abc brand.....It's hit and miss.....Who cares if someone can tell what I'm wearing.....If my Wife of 31 years likes what I'm wearing that's all that matters to me!!!
    Gary

  14. #44
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    107,296

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Who cares if someone can tell what I'm wearing.....If my Wife of 31 years likes what I'm wearing that's all that matters to me!!!
    Gary
    Amen!

  15. #45

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Most people cannot tell one scent from the other, only that it's "nice."

    Then again, there are Basenoters.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

  16. #46
    Neurosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    I don't have the accent, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    I cant smell anything above old spice on people. Once in awhile someone will be wearing an actual fragrance, usually a woman. Then again I live in a town thats filled with people with old school ideals about the sexes. Women wear perfume, men wear aftershave or deodorant. NOTHING MORE!!! *facepalm*

  17. #47

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefs View Post
    I always laugh at this statement, if you honestly believe a girl will know the exact name of your scent or even if an ex wore it she would never know, you guys are giving women way too much credit here. Thats like saying if this girl is wearing a perfume i will know what shes wearing when i honestly have no idea what it is or if someone else i knew wore it. The bottom line is if it smells good thats all she knows or cares shes not gonna be like oh your wearing JOOP
    i didnt even read through the responses to see if youd changed your tune or back-peddled. i just have to say...
    you are so wrong. wrong. you are really wrong. i dont care about any reasoning you might conjure up to support your statement. you are wrong. there are thousands of colognes... the odds of a woman running across a certain cologne enough to recognize it on me are slim to none. bullshit. colognes smell different on different people. good luck with that one. i bet you get caught ALOT. as in "busted". dont make statements that are so wrong. it points out how much you dont know about women. ONE BAD TIME IN THE PRESENCE OF ANY COLOGNE AND IT IS IMBEDDED IN HER HEAD FOREVER. try it out, youll regret it! in the meantime- word your statements about women more carefully or youll be a lonely young man!

  18. #48

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    If it is the scent of an ex that gets recognized on me, I probably would pick another one out of the ever growing arsenal. If she knew this one too, and several more, I'd probably pick another woman!

  19. #49

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Women will recognize scents worn by ex-boyfriends.
    A female friend of mine hates it when I wear Joop! Homme because her abusive ex used to wear this.
    A female co-worker of mine complimented me on Fahrenheit because it was the fragrance that her first boyfriend wore.

  20. #50

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    The argument is valid for probably anything except ADG and AF Fierce.

  21. #51
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,763

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Deleted.
    Made redundant by an earlier quotation from me above.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th March 2011 at 09:50 PM.

  22. #52
    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    11,763

    Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

    Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    Read as: Still in love with her ex. Get out while you can.
    I did, and happily married someone else.
    Though I still give this one perfumes for Christmas and her birthday, and as part payment for looking after my wife's cat when we travel.

    Well, nearly ten years have elapsed.
    I'm now sorely tempted to wear Drakkar next time I see her, and see if it achieves similar results.
    Renato

Similar Threads

  1. The one you cannot stand
    By Basteri in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 24th October 2008, 06:58 AM
  2. Don't you hate SA's who wont leave you alone
    By leor_77 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 22nd October 2007, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000