Code of Conduct

Default ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

I always laugh at this statement, if you honestly believe a girl will know the exact name of your scent or even if an ex wore it she would never know, you guys are giving women way too much credit here. Thats like saying if this girl is wearing a perfume i will know what shes wearing when i honestly have no idea what it is or if someone else i knew wore it. The bottom line is if it smells good thats all she knows or cares shes not gonna be like oh your wearing JOOP

Default Re: ''Everyone wears it, you wont stand out.''

I couldn't disagree more. Just because you don't remember these things doesn't mean that goes for others. I don't think you're giving people enough credit, especially women.
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Theres no way your average women will know what your wearing enough to name what it is at least in my case. I have had more compliments on Cool Water than any other fragrance and not once did i hear someone say oh thats Cool Water your wearing.

I tried giving my friend a small bottle of cologne that I didn't need anymore since I bought a bigger bottle, but he returned it to me because his girlfriend recognized the scent as the same one her father wears.

While I agree that the chances are very small that anyone will actually recognize a given scent, even if it's relatively popular, I don't think it's because they can't. There are just so many scents out there - many of them quite similar to the average person - that the chances of smelling the same one twice and knowing it are pretty small. The exceptions are scents that are excessively popular, like AdG or Le Male, or if someone has extensive experience was a certain scent.

Also, when we say that a scent "won't stand out," we don't literally mean that someone will recognize it because it is popular. We mean that it just doesn't smell unique, and that the average person will simply lump it in with the latest fare at the Macy's counter. It's pretty common for Basenoters to want to smell distinctive.

Along the same lines, it's possible for a scent to be uber-niche and still not "stand out," even though the chances are one in a zillion that anyone will recognize the exact scent.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 19th March 2010 at 09:12 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
    Theres no way your average women will know what your wearing enough to name what it is at least in my case
    It depends on what you're wearing. Some scents leave an impression and some do not. One woman I know recognized that I was wearing Grey Flannel from a couple of yards away.

As it happened, my SoTD was Hinoki, but I was wearing Grey Flannel deodorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Hob Dobson View Post

As it happened, my SoTD was Hinoki, but I was wearing Grey Flannel deodorant.
    lol! Oh the irony...
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

It's a true statement for the obvious designer frags like AdG, CW, A*Men, Le Male, etc... However, when people eschew niches brands like Creed or Serge Lutens for the LatestFlavoroftheMonthUberNicheScent Pour Homme due to "exclusivity", then it gets a little ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. Just because you don't remember these things doesn't mean that goes for others. I don't think you're giving people enough credit, especially women.
    Thank you, my thoughts exactly.

Furthermore, even if certain people might not be able to distinguish CW from GIT or whatever, especially sensitive persons, be it male or female, will recognise a scent they stumble over on every second guy in a club.

But I think this matter has been discussed very thouroughly, hasnt it?

I for myself hate to smell Le Male or (insert any overly popular designer) more and more by the times I encouter it on others.

What the OP is failing to realize, is it doesn't matter if she can name what she smells, just that she knows she's smelled it 5 billion times before. That's all that matters, there are "common" smells and "uncommon" smells, I prefer to be in the "uncommon" section.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    What the OP is failing to realize, is it doesn't matter if she can name what she smells, just that she knows she's smelled it 5 billion times before. That's all that matters, there are "common" smells and "uncommon" smells, I prefer to be in the "uncommon" section.
    Exactly.

The average Female or Male will not know what a person is wearing.....Most people are not Fragrance Lovers like us.....Most people care less.....if it smells good.....OK.....That's it and no more.
    If a person Male or Female is really a Big Fragrance Lover they might know.....The average mall fragrance lover will have no clue if one is wearing a Niche scent.
    My Wife Loves my Fragrances.....She knows some of them.....there are many She Loves but has no idea what they are and She lives with me.....Our Son who will be 30 this year has a Great nose.....He worked in the business and knows fragrance.....He has worked both Niche and Mainstream scents.....There are times I can slip one in that He knows nothing about.....this is very rare.....Gary

The girl (or guy please) in question may not say, "Oh, he's wearing Aqua di Gio", but she may say, "That guy smells just like my ex-boyfriend, and that dude at the gym, and that guy who comes in late to math class and stinks up the row behind me...."

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

What girls do you guys know? the ones i know couldnt tell a dollar store fragrance to a niche.

+1. I'm with you jrd4t. I'm living in Dallas, and not only do the women here recognize fragrances, they know how much most of them cost.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefs View Post
    I always laugh at this statement, if you honestly believe a girl will know the exact name of your scent or even if an ex wore it she would never know, you guys are giving women way too much credit here. Thats like saying if this girl is wearing a perfume i will know what shes wearing when i honestly have no idea what it is or if someone else i knew wore it. The bottom line is if it smells good thats all she knows or cares shes not gonna be like oh your wearing JOOP
    Well, chiefs, nothing can be farther from the truth. I strongly disagree with you--and I find your comment insulting to women--and not just those who are perfume connoisseuses.

Scientific fact: women's senses of smell are FAR better than men's esp. women of childbearing age who are ovulating.

Of course, a woman may not know the name of the scent as would a perfumista, but she WILL recognise it, I guarantee it, if this is a common scent and she has smelled it before on everyone.

Now--do you want a date to say this to you?: "Gee, you smell like my brother (or Dad)!" That is a major dating faux pas.

As a matter of fact, my husband (who is certainly not a fragrance fan) told me that my CK Eternity (he cannot tell the names of scents) reminded him of an old girlfriend and preferred I not wear it around him.

The other posts concur with me.

Oh, please, give women some credit...
    Last edited by Primrose; 20th March 2010 at 03:38 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

OH Really, chiefs?

Perhaps you will not know what your "girl" is wearing... but she might well know what you are!

Silly boy.
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore
    Art: Actias luna's other hobby
    - along with some impromptu "performance writing" here on Basenotes!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Rockabilly View Post
    Theres no way your average women will know what your wearing enough to name what it is at least in my case. I have had more compliments on Cool Water than any other fragrance and not once did i hear someone say oh thats Cool Water your wearing.
    I don't really need a fragrance to stand out. Perhaps that's why my women are never average...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th March 2010 at 01:58 AM.

Most girls wear florals that are really similar, therefore, the ones who wear Chergui and Opium really stand out. I will go one step further than "everyone wears it you won't stand out" - if it smells like something everyone wears you definitely will not stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I don't really need a fragrance to stand out. Perhaps that's why my women are never average...
    If you stand out sans-parfum, you are definitely above average. (this rule applies regardless of gender) - Actiasluna's rules of "engagement"
    Actias luna's fragrance reviews | Now blogging with AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty at Il Mondo di Odore

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    lol! Oh the irony...
    *I* could still smell Hinoki, even though it's not exactly a sillage bomb.

I should also point out that Grey Flannel deodorant is a LOT tamer than the EdT.

What are you talking about!?

Quote Originally Posted by kxe003 View Post
    What are you talking about!?
    Um... which "what"... are you referring to?

My wife can pick out Fahrenheit from across a crowded room. She can also pick out Narciso, Kouros, Antaeus and Encre Noir. She hates the latter and loves Fahrenheit, and although I think her tastes are bad , she certainly is well acquainted with scent.

I also think that it is creepy that I can tell someone, "that Declaration smells great", or "I love the pine in that Polo you are wearing". Just because we can rattle off the name of the scent, doesn't mean that our sense of smell is any more keen than someone who can tell you where and when they have smelled a scent in the past.

Ah... sense memory. For some it is seaweed at low tide. For me it is Dad's coats when he's gone doing installations; Gran's powder and her silver hairbrush; the pipe tobacco my grandfather smoked....

I agree, if it smells good ... I, or he, will and should not care, what either of us are wearing!

Quote Originally Posted by actiasluna View Post
    Ah... sense memory. For some it is seaweed at low tide. For me it is Dad's coats when he's gone doing installations; Gran's powder and her silver hairbrush; the pipe tobacco my grandfather smoked....

I agree, if it smells good ... I, or he, will and should not care, what either of us are wearing!
    Last year I was going to a Detroit Tigers game downtown, and as a small spring shower began to wet the hot concrete, a diesel bus drove around the corner. I turned to my wife and said, "it smells like Marseille right now" (I used to live in France). Puzzled, she probed a little further, and a five minute exercise in futility ensued. She never quite understood what I meant, but for that split second, I wasn't just smelling some diesel fumes and wet rain: I was standing in Vieux Port.

That's why I love this hobby
    Last edited by scentaddiction; 20th March 2010 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    Last year I was going to a Detroit Tigers game downtown, and as a small spring shower began to wet the hot concrete, a diesel bus drove around the corner. I turned to my wife and said, "it smells like Marseille right now" (I used to live in France). Puzzled, she probed a little further, and a five minute exercise in futility ensued. She never quite understood what I meant, but for that split second, I wasn't just smelling some diesel fumes and wet rain: I was standing in Vieux Port.

That's why I love this hobby
    SMILES.

Yes. I have scent memories of diesel, coal, and rain... sagebrush, rabbitbrush and wet dust... that just can NOT be described in words, but might be painted in scent!

Quote Originally Posted by scentaddiction View Post
    My wife can pick out Fahrenheit from across a crowded room. She can also pick out Narciso, Kouros, Antaeus and Encre Noir. She hates the latter and loves Fahrenheit, and although I think her tastes are bad , she certainly is well acquainted with scent.

I also think that it is creepy that I can tell someone, "that Declaration smells great", or "I love the pine in that Polo you are wearing". Just because we can rattle off the name of the scent, doesn't mean that our sense of smell is any more keen than someone who can tell you where and when they have smelled a scent in the past.
    lol

he he. I think I`m a "fragrance-snob".. After smelling Gucci Pour Homme on 2 other people i know, I stop using it immediate!

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    he he. I think I`m a "fragrance-snob".. After smelling Gucci Pour Homme on 2 other people i know, I stop using it immediate!
    That one is really nice, you snob

Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    That one is really nice, you snob
    Yeh I know.. I just didn`t want to "downgrade" myselves to theirs level!

Firstly, I believe that your character and demeanor will leave more of an impression than your scent will.

That said, you never want to be remembered for being an egregiously horrible smelling individual (overbearingly sprayed or overwhelmingly au naturale)
    The vast majority of ladies I've met have not cared as long as its "nice".

Personally, I stay away from the high maintenance ladies that require an extremely uncommon or expensive scent.

Lastly, smelling unique and distinguished is one thing, but needing a certain fragrance to compensate for a lack of self character is another.
    Last edited by JMang; 20th March 2010 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Brief grammatical errors

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post

Yeh I know.. I just didn`t want to "downgrade" myselves to theirs level!
    Do you know how many douchebags wear each and every one of your fragrances? It's probably in the thousands at least. I won't let any douche stop me from wearing any of my fragrances.

Disclaimer: I am a certified douchebag since 1993.

Do you wear a fragrance because you love it, or because other people don't have it ? Why people call a fragrance 'common' when it's outstanding and beautiful blows my mind.
    Last edited by trapper; 20th March 2010 at 12:38 PM.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Do you wear a fragrance because you love it, or because other people don't have it ?
    I usually wear a fragrance because *I* have it!

If many, many other people wear it too, then I don't have to worry about it being discontinued just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Why people call a fragrance 'common' when it's outstanding and beautiful blows my mind.
    Anything outstanding and beautiful is common if it's encountered frequently enough. That doesn't make it low-class, even if it becomes underappreciated in the process and the resale price goes down.

I was once wearing Drakkar Noir.
    She said, "Oh no, he used to wear it" (referring to her ex).
    Got all emotional and ran away.
    How about that?

Which is kind of strange since so few men wear scents, it would be extremely rarely an issue.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 20th March 2010 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I was once wearing Drakkar Noir.
    She said, "Oh no, he used to wear it" (referring to her ex).
    Got all emotional and ran away.
    How about that?

Which is kind of strange since so few men wear scents, it would be extremely rarely an issue.
    Renato
    Read as: Still in love with her ex. Get out while you can.

I'm going to buy a mini bottle of Acqua di Gio and Armani Code as an Ex Test. If a girl reacts to either of those like that, then I know I should find another woman.

I get around this problem of being recognised by.... wearing "feminine-marketed scents" that are quite rare to find in the first place. Of all the "femmes" in my collection, I've only smelled Narciso Rodriguez for Her EDT once in my 2 years of having it - on another female, at a party.

I know unless I ran into another BNer, almost no Australian man would put half of my wardrobe in their rotation. When I get the odd whiff of what an Aussie man wears in a crowded train, I notice they stick to aquatics and fougeres; which is nice because I don't wear those categories.
    Q: How do you make a feminine fragrance masculine?
    A: Add 'Pour Homme' to the bottle
    - Pierre Bourdon

I've seen women correctly guess men's Scents quite a few times

Blog Entries

I'm going to buy a mini bottle of Acqua di Gio and Armani Code as an Ex Test. If a girl reacts to either of those like that, then I know I should find another woman.
    I'm still friends with two of my ex's whom I've worn Acqua di Gio around. Bear in mind, I wore this stuff 9-10 years ago and never owned another bottle of cologne until 2007. Thankfully, I was a pretty cool dude anyway and there's no ill feelings at all. So at least for one of my ex's who could probably distinctly recognize AdG won't have a negative olfactory association with it. Despite that one case, I'd rather not take any chances and use less common fragrances (to the masses at least) as signature scents.

Its NOT about if women know what a certain scent is, its about what it conjures up. A lot of our memory is associated with smell. So if the AdG brings up negative memories/emotions of an Ex you wouldn't want that to be connected to you, ESPECIALLY if you are just getting to know each other. I think the issue with a lot of people on basenotes is that they dont want to risk being associated with those issues that a designer scent might bring up in a certain "potential" love interest. When what "they" REALLY want is for 'them" to have that effect on people with lesser known and unique scents. People want to leave an impression and be remembered, which I am guilty of.

.....and would you really want to be with someone who would let a cologne her ex used to wear get in the way of knowing you as an individual?

There are those that will recognize a fragrance.....and there are those that will never know xyz brand from abc brand.....It's hit and miss.....Who cares if someone can tell what I'm wearing.....If my Wife of 31 years likes what I'm wearing that's all that matters to me!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Who cares if someone can tell what I'm wearing.....If my Wife of 31 years likes what I'm wearing that's all that matters to me!!!
    Gary
    Amen!

Most people cannot tell one scent from the other, only that it's "nice."

Then again, there are Basenoters.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

I cant smell anything above old spice on people. Once in awhile someone will be wearing an actual fragrance, usually a woman. Then again I live in a town thats filled with people with old school ideals about the sexes. Women wear perfume, men wear aftershave or deodorant. NOTHING MORE!!! *facepalm*

i didnt even read through the responses to see if youd changed your tune or back-peddled. i just have to say...
    you are so wrong. wrong. you are really wrong. i dont care about any reasoning you might conjure up to support your statement. you are wrong. there are thousands of colognes... the odds of a woman running across a certain cologne enough to recognize it on me are slim to none. bullshit. colognes smell different on different people. good luck with that one. i bet you get caught ALOT. as in "busted". dont make statements that are so wrong. it points out how much you dont know about women. ONE BAD TIME IN THE PRESENCE OF ANY COLOGNE AND IT IS IMBEDDED IN HER HEAD FOREVER. try it out, youll regret it! in the meantime- word your statements about women more carefully or youll be a lonely young man!

If it is the scent of an ex that gets recognized on me, I probably would pick another one out of the ever growing arsenal. If she knew this one too, and several more, I'd probably pick another woman!

Women will recognize scents worn by ex-boyfriends.
    A female friend of mine hates it when I wear Joop! Homme because her abusive ex used to wear this.
    A female co-worker of mine complimented me on Fahrenheit because it was the fragrance that her first boyfriend wore.

The argument is valid for probably anything except ADG and AF Fierce.

Deleted.
    Made redundant by an earlier quotation from me above.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 9th March 2011 at 10:50 PM.

I did, and happily married someone else.
    Though I still give this one perfumes for Christmas and her birthday, and as part payment for looking after my wife's cat when we travel.

Well, nearly ten years have elapsed.
    I'm now sorely tempted to wear Drakkar next time I see her, and see if it achieves similar results.
    Renato