Code of Conduct

Default Whiskey Barrel, Dry, Aromatic, Woody, Herby, Warm scent. Suggestions?

I'm looking for a scent that smells like the sun beating down on the inside of an empty whiskey barrel and also crisp, woody and fresh, slightly sweet from the whiskey. It could have some light tobacco and herbs/spices. Nothing too thick or gourmand though. I'm also hoping it could be an everyday scent, not just an evening scent.

I'd appreciate any of your recommendations, descriptions and vibes you get from anything you recommend. I hope I left my description broad enough to get the most recommendations possible. So feel free to recommend anything remotely close!

Thanks!
    Last edited by FlexYoFace; 21st March 2010 at 02:35 AM.

Default Re: Whiskey Barrel, Dry, Aromatic, Woody, Herby, Warm scent. Suggestions?

First thing that springs to my mind is D'Orsay - Le Dandy.
    Composition:
    Head: Tobacco, Whiskey
    Heart: Ginger
    Base: Plum, Cinnamon, Balsam of Peru, Cedarwood

Default Re: Whiskey Barrel, Dry, Aromatic, Woody, Herby, Warm scent. Suggestions?

A*Men Pure Malt

There's a woman called Lisa Brodar who has a company called the Portland General Store (in Portland, Maine). She sells her wares on Etsy and, among other things, offers a scent called Whiskey No. 006. I have a sample and it's very nice indeed. It smells like its namesake in the sample tube. I haven't worn it yet & so can't tell you how it changes on the skin, but of all the scents in her sampler pack this is the one I liked the most.

It sounds like you're looking for something that isn't too sweet, with a woody, bitter spirits note. Am I right?

If so, I think you'd like Bois 1920 Extreme. There's isn't a whiskey note per se, but I get that general dry-spirits feeling from it. Lots of nice woody/dry herbs.

Le Dandy and Pure Malt are good, but very sweet and rather heavy, IMO.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th March 2010 at 12:10 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Owww maaan, I can almost smell it now! Sounds like a great smell, I'll keep an eyeball on the situation!

Nicole Miller For Men....Vintage formula. Can still be found.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Ambre Topkapi smells like a rich and smokey whiskey to me. It might smell somewhat like what you're looking for. It's not "dry" though - more like sniffing an actual glass of whiskey.
    Sales thread here

Hmmmm, I thought of Frapin 1270.

It's a slightly sweet, woody oriental. Definitely contains a boozy note, spices are there, sweetness is there. Isnt it influenced by cognac/winyard?

I think definitely worth a try from what I interpret your suggestion to be.

Aw, I forgot, what about Ambre Russe/Wazamba?
    Last edited by timaru; 19th March 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    It sounds like you're looking for something that isn't too sweet, with a woody, bitter spirits note. Am I right?

If so, I think you'd like Bois 1920 Extreme. There's isn't a whiskey note per se, but I get that general dry-spirits feeling from it. Lots of nice woody/dry herbs.

Le Dandy and Mure Malt are good, but very sweet and rather heavy, IMO.
    Woah!!! I was in Dillards last week and they gave me 4 samples of BOIS and 1920 Extreme was the best of the 4. I wasn't thinking about 1920 Extreme while I made this thread, but maybe subconsciously I was making some wierd connection or it helped develop an interest for a dry whiskey scent. I'll have to wear it tomorrow and get back with what I think.

Ambre by Baldessarini
    You can check out my fragrances at www.garnerjames.com
    While I work on the website, you can email me for any inquiries at james@garnerjames.com

My wife bought me some Tim Mcgraw Southern Blend. It might be an easy place to start, since it's available at places like Wal-Mart.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexYoFace View Post
    I wasn't thinking about 1920 Extreme while I made this thread, but maybe subconsciously I was making some wierd connection or it helped develop an interest for a dry whiskey scent. I'll have to wear it tomorrow and get back with what I think.
    I know! I couldn't put my finger on what strange accord I was smelling in it either, but as I was trying to think of a scent to mention in this thread, it just clicked! Dry woody booze residue! Intentional or not, that what it reminds me of!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th March 2010 at 04:23 AM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I recommend Vetiver Bourbon, by Miller Harris. It sounds like it fits all of your requisites.

Michael for Men (Kors) is always my goto whiskey scent, but it is a sweet wood with dried fruits and pipe tobacco--probably not what your after, but worth checking out.

My suggestion would be Cabochard by Gres. Boozy, crisp, woody and fresh without too much sweetness... it's a leather/tobacco chypre but quite herbal and not as harsh or powerful as Bandit and certainly not a rich, buttery leather--very dry. Floral, but bitter floral, and a lot like Aramis, which is also an option, but I prefer Cabochard and find it a tad warmer.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Escada pour homme.
    -

Paul Smith London is what you need.

Bois d'Ombrie (2006)
    by Eau d'Italie

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26126502.html
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Escada pour homme.
    +1 over here

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wooznib View Post
    Ambre by Baldessarini
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY911 View Post
    A*Men Pure Malt
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Antaeusintheair View Post
    Michael for Men (Kors) ....
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Escada pour homme.
    +2
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Well, everything you want with the exception of the whiskey note is in Cartier Santos, which is dark, woody, spicy, aromatic, rich, deep and wearable. I'd recommend the Concentree version.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron199 View Post
    Nicole Miller For Men....Vintage formula. Can still be found.
    I am in total agreement with Nicole Miller for Men.

tho i cant quite think of the specific name. there was what i believe was a new kilians they wanted to me smell which had a malt/whiskey name to it. not sure if people know already but saks is going to be carrying like 3-4 new brands they havent had before.

Consider trying Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel. Some think it has a whisky note, and I agree. Check out the reviews:

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26128453.html

Not whiskey, but the inside of a fine wine barrel -- Ginestet Le Boise.

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

C'est Magique Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    C'est Magique Pour Homme
    I'm always impressed with the fragrance names that you know.

I'm gonna go with Michael for Men
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !