Code of Conduct

Default A few samples I got in the mail today..

(If you don't like to read you may wanna avoid this post lol)
    So I got a few samples from fragrancenet and thought I'd comment on them.. First the worst.

-V/S Versace.. def the worst from Versace, though all of their stuff is pretty synthetic, V/S just goes above and beyond. I can't even really describe it..What comes to mind is Elmer's Glue, plastic and a huge bag of old makeups. Then there's like some eucalyptus under there, but this stuff is really really bad.. I'm gonna scrub it off my arm in a few minutes. It's a headache waiting to happen. Fortunately the sample was under a buck. Barf

-Versace Man..(in the purple bottle) this stuff isn't too good either. I mean the reviews on this are simply preference over fact here on BN. The fact about Versace Man is that it's another poorly made highly synthetic fragrance from Versace.. though not nearly as bad as V/s.. this one is actually tolerable. It does smell like a perfume though, It smelled like a lemon/flower pie on me. The dry down added in some woods though very light and less of those sweet top notes.

I think Versace aims toward the younger high school crowd, what kid in high school wouldn't wanna say "I'm wearing Versace" It just sounds like you're better than everyone else, because you're wearing Versace..When I hear the name I think upper class and elegance. Too bad they failed with most of their fragrances. Then again I haven't tried them all.. just Blue Jeans, The Dreamer, V/S and Man. The only one I praise is the dreamer..but it's still a bit overrated. Next would be Blue Jeans.. not something I would purchase again because of its longevity issues, for a synthetic though it has an appealing smell. Then obviously the other 2 new failures from today. I just got done washing V/S off my arms, thank goodness it came off. If there's anyone reading this who can agree with me on the ones I dislike -- perhaps our preferences are alike, that been said.. would you know if there are any other good Versace frags?

-Lolita Lempicka.. Just sprayed this on my arm and I'm getting a lot of licorice.. can't really say much since I literally just put it on this second, I'll write a review perhaps after I get some more out of it as it develops. Unless it takes my breath away I may just make another forum post. But ya..so far it's quite good, it's hard to tell sillage though when using a sample because A. you don't get full squirts, and B. you don't wanna use it all once usually. A fragrance won't project fully if you don't put on the right application. I can already tell by this one that I would do 2 on each arm and one on each side of the neck. ya I prefer to spray on the inner arms than the wrists, I notice better projection this way.. could be because I live in FL and the sun always hits my arms.

-Hang Ten California..LOL I couldn't resist for 59 cents. So when I took my first whiff of this I said EWW. Then I sniffed it again without the thought that it's a Hang Ten cologne, and this time, it wasn't bad a at all. It's funny what the mind can do to your nose. I wouldn't say it's good, it did give me a slight headache, but nothing like V/S did. It's kind of a sweet flowery scent, problem is that it smells extremely concentrated yet it doesn't really project or last long. Smells similar to Dunhill Pure, but not as good. I'd say it smells better as it settles down but you really gotta be close to the skin to smell it. Starts off flowery and slightly powdery and then tones down to more of soapy/shower fresh scent. Not bad at all.

I still have Lolita Lempicka on as I'm reviewing these and I gotta say.. it's suddenly projecting out of no where.. this is something I love in a fragrance.. random projection at different times, I get this from a few others like Fahrenheit, Diesel Zero Plus and Green Irish Tweed..I'm sure others as well.. but those come to mind first. LOVE LOVE LOVE when a frag does this. Moving along though.

-Parah..I'm sure a lot of you haven't even heard of this. I was mostly intrigued by the bottle on this, plus the fact that they make samples. Haven't tried it on my skin yet, but in the vial it's a light smell.. slightly citrusy.. I'm gonna say grapefruit or orange and a strong pepper note, other than that I can't really dissect this stuff until it's on my skin, but I will say I'm excited to try this one. It does smell different indeed, but nothing amazing. The thing with pepper in colognes is that it's such a dominating note, so usually when you've smelled one peppry fragrance you think you've smelled them all. Personally I love pepper in my colognes. I get that from Tommy Bahama.. which brings me to..

-Tommy Bahama.. Now I'm sure I've smelled this somewhere before I bought the sample vial, but I'm so impressed with the fragrances from that line that I figured I'd get a good glimpse of the original. The original Tommy Bahama is by far the best.. Not just of the TB House, but it's one of the best colognes ever made IMO. It reminds me of a perfect Issey Miyake, personally I HATE L'deu I'ssey or whatever the hell it's called. Back to Tommy Bahama though.. it may be a little offensive when it goes on, but the dry down is marvelous. Reminds me of just the beach, a natural unpolluted beach where you can smell the sand, sea salt and pepper are also incorporated into this. It makes for a very earthy, natural and unique scent. It's actually hard to explain now that it's off me and I have none left, but I can say that I enjoyed it enough to wanna purchase a bottle soon.

A lot of the reason why I cant review some of these the way I want to..Hang Ten,Tommy Bahama and others is because I've had so many samples on me recently..It starts to get hard to remember these :/
    Moving along and I'm gonna try to finish this up fast (I'm just really bored to be honest and need to share my cologne adventures with someone lol)

-Exceptional...because you are. Ya that's the whole name. Now if you've ordered from fragrancenet within the past few months, you've gotten a free sample of this. This seems to be limited to fragrancenet too. The juice itself is actually pretty good but the longevity is horrible, then again as I said, you really can't test a colognes longevity based on just a sample.. you really need the full atomizer to get its full affects. So the actualy longevity may be good, but I don't see it in this, and it's not worth making a full purchase to me. Flowery/citrus, nice concoction.

-Terre D'hermes. I'm really glad I got this, this is an acquired scent though, you either love it or you don't. Orange/grapefruit and cedar, oh and did I mention cedar? TONS of cedar, the good thing about cedar wood though is that it has a citrusy smell to begin with which is why it's so great in fragrances. This is such a well made cologne, projects well, you don't need to use a lot, it can easily be someones signature scent, it's unique and it isn't very offending, (unless you don't like the smell of cedar and citrus) PLUS it lasts long. People say it smells like dirt.. ehh sorry.. you may wanna wash the dirt off you before testing it. A lot of you people are just so used to synthetics that you don't know when something real is right in front of you. This stuff smells natural, not dirty. Earthy and nature-like. Really good stuff here, I plan on adding this to my collection soon as well, the only drawback is that it's not so versatile, I wouldn't wanna wear this to a wedding.

Ah done FINALLY! Lolita Lempicka may join my fragrance shelf as well. guys if you made it this far feel free to comment, I love reading. Thanks
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 20th March 2010 at 03:37 AM.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: A few samples I got in the mail today..

As far as Versace is concerned, the only ones worth owning IMO are The Dreamer, Black Jeans and L'Homme.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The only frags bottle worthy are the Lolita and the Terre d'Hermes. The other samples will bore you before you use them all up...That Tommy Bahama is too much watered down Gucci PH and close to the Beat.

I have a bottle of the Parah Man, and although I haven't had a chance to dissect it yet, I get absolutely no pepper from it, except for maybe a little tingle on the top notes.
    Last edited by Royal; 20th March 2010 at 03:45 AM.
    I refuse to sink.

is the tommy bahamma you're talking about the original brown bottle, or sets sail / st. barts (blue bottle?). the original is like a dry raspy woody scent a la gucci ph, if you're thinking beach and talking about l'eau d'issey then you may have one of the others in hand, just saying.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    is the tommy bahamma you're talking about the original brown bottle, or sets sail / st. barts (blue bottle?). the original is like a dry raspy woody scent a la gucci ph, if you're thinking beach and talking about l'eau d'issey then you may have one of the others in hand, just saying.
    No I'm talking about the original in the brown bottle. I have the Set Sail St Barts and South Seas, both excellent but I don't get a natural beach vibe, I get more of a tropical thing with them. To me tropical and beach are completely different, the original TB smells like sand, sea salt, pepper, woodsy, coriander and sage.. a little ginger as well, but not the same ginger as say in BLV. Not to confuse you.. L'eau D'issey smells nothing like TB, but they are kind of in the same category. When I put them side by side I think of TB as the more superior blend, and what L'eau was ultimately going for. Though L'eau was/is a hot seller, some of the flankers were going more for what Tommy Bahama accomplished in the original.

Actually all TB frags fall under the whole Hawaiian/tropical/beach thing, which I get from all of them..as Tommy Bahama is clearly into that lifestyle. TB in the brown bottle is no exception, it does have a beachy scent to it. Not tropical, not Hawaiian, not fruity, but a natural beach.

I like TdH but to claim that it's natural is way off the mark. It's one of the more synthetic prominent scents out there at the moment. Death by Iso e super.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I like TdH but to claim that it's natural is way off the mark. It's one of the more synthetic prominent scents out there at the moment. Death by Iso e super.
    What's synthetic about citrus and cedar? There's no metallic smell nor is there any unneeded chemicals lingering.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 20th March 2010 at 05:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I think you're right. I was just thinking that, actually. The original Tommy Bahama is pretty good in my opinion, but sometimes annoys me. I think there is an odd note in there that bothers me.

But, thanks for the mini reviews ( original poster). Always like to read threads like this.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    As far as Versace is concerned, the only ones worth owning IMO are The Dreamer, Black Jeans and L'Homme.
    If you're for some reason intrigued enough to sample Versace, L'Homme should top your list. It was that houses' first male scent, and it is nothing like anything else they ever did. Potent and masculine. In my top 5.

^^ Thanks guys, seeing 2 people with the same views on the Versace line is helpful. I do like The Dreamer. Does Black Jeans smell like anything common? Anything that would maybe give me a little more insight if I decide to buy it blind? I do remember reading that it was unique, but then again people consider everything unique now..

I agree that I like the dreamer better than most of their other scents. I have Man and Eau Fraiche as well but don't really think they stand out all that well, though they aren't really awful either. As for being synthetic, pretty much all of them are. They are not squeezing real oranges into the juice or anything. If by synthetic you just mean doesn't smell like a bottle of toilet cleaner, then I guess that's right.

Anyway do you mean Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine or the original marketed to women? I really do like both, Au Masculine makes me think of Bulgari black with its smoky vanilla, almost rubbery smell. It's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    I agree that I like the dreamer better than most of their other scents. I have Man and Eau Fraiche as well but don't really think they stand out all that well, though they aren't really awful either. As for being synthetic, pretty much all of them are. They are not squeezing real oranges into the juice or anything. If by synthetic you just mean doesn't smell like a bottle of toilet cleaner, then I guess that's right.

Anyway do you mean Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine or the original marketed to women? I really do like both, Au Masculine makes me think of Bulgari black with its smoky vanilla, almost rubbery smell. It's great.
    Synthetic meaning chemical.. Obviously they're not squeezing lemons into any fragrance, but there is a big number that use finer ingredients.
    For example Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts.. compared to say Dunhill Desire. TB you can smell the limes, the mandarin, the tequila.. you know what's in there vs. Desire which simply smells like chemicals. While Tommy Bahama isn't really a super expensive fragrance, the distributors or makers obviously put more time into it to get better ingredients.. this doesn't really make it more expensive.. just more time consuming. Any fragrance can give you a list of notes that are put in it, but it really doesn't matter if it's not made right.

Onto the Lempicka, I don't wear woman's perfumes, lol. So yes the Au Masculin. We can agree on this one, licorice, vanilla undertone.. rubber ehh. Then again I may have not gotten its full effects, I notice major differences between the sample vials, and the real thing. Longevity, sillage, and getting to really get a good whiff of the notes as they change. Sometimes you need bigger applications than the whole sample vial provides.. but i got enough out of Lempicka to say that I do plan on purchasing it soon, it's good stuff.

You should try the original that is marketed toward women if you like Au Masculine. It smells much less cloying imo. It doesn't smell that "womanly" either, I find it to be completely unisex, a rather spicy vanilla with anise.

As for Tommy Bahama, I tested this at a Macys a while ago and found it not that great really. It smelled really watery if that makes sense, like it was more of a body mist even. I feel like lime and rum is rather difficult to pull off without it smelling "synthetic". The only two I have smelled that I really liked were Bermuda Tonic by Aramis and Creed's Virgin Island Water. I dunno, the sharpness of lime really can either do it or not for me. Sometimes I really love that sharp tartness, other times I think it veers off into cheap cleaning product. VIW and Bermuda Tonic (Tonic not really having lime in it) both smell amazing to me, if you are into beachy/coconutty like I am, definitely give them a go.

Kind of off topic, but when I was in Florida I went to a Tommy Bahama store that had a restaurant on top of it. The food was great, the store was pathetic! It felt like those cheap cheap cheap silk Hawaiian shirts were priced about 40000x what they should be. But that is just my personal thoughts, ranting about Mr. Tommy :P Carry on! good thread~

Update - Back to the Parah, I've been wearing a little for the past hour and notice it to be like a lighter more citrusy L'eau D'issey, quite good really thus far (I found L'eau D'issey to be way too overpowering). Sillage is mediocre on this from what I can tell, I can't really detect how far it's out to be honest but I can say that I smell a lighter variation of what I put my nose up to, and it's quite pleasant. It becomes more oceanic as it stays on my skin. Royal, if you are following the forums here I would love to get your take on it too once you test it out. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Kinok View Post
    You should try the original that is marketed toward women if you like Au Masculine. It smells much less cloying imo. It doesn't smell that "womanly" either, I find it to be completely unisex, a rather spicy vanilla with anise.

As for Tommy Bahama, I tested this at a Macys a while ago and found it not that great really. It smelled really watery if that makes sense, like it was more of a body mist even. I feel like lime and rum is rather difficult to pull off without it smelling "synthetic". The only two I have smelled that I really liked were Bermuda Tonic by Aramis and Creed's Virgin Island Water. I dunno, the sharpness of lime really can either do it or not for me. Sometimes I really love that sharp tartness, other times I think it veers off into cheap cleaning product. VIW and Bermuda Tonic (Tonic not really having lime in it) both smell amazing to me, if you are into beachy/coconutty like I am, definitely give them a go.

Kind of off topic, but when I was in Florida I went to a Tommy Bahama store that had a restaurant on top of it. The food was great, the store was pathetic! It felt like those cheap cheap cheap silk Hawaiian shirts were priced about 40000x what they should be. But that is just my personal thoughts, ranting about Mr. Tommy :P Carry on! good thread~
    Ya a lot of people say TB smells watery. But, hey to each his own right! If I can get my hands on a Lempicka perfume sample I will def check it out, I'm always open to trying to stuff ( as long as I can find cheapy samples ) I'll never wear a Hawaiian shirt lol, I really do like the fragrances though, they're pretty original and well blended.

I have been wanting to sample Tommy Bahama for a long time now. I have been wanting a nice beach type summer scent thats not niche.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer350 View Post
    I have been wanting to sample Tommy Bahama for a long time now. I have been wanting a nice beach type summer scent thats not niche.
    Hey if you're the type who doesn't wanna go to the mall and get bombarded by obnoxious women covered in make up pressuring you to buy what's "hip".. you should check out fragrancex.com, they have samples for 2-3 bucks with free shipping always with the code "free"
    I actually prefer them to fragrancenet because their samples seem to be fuller. Although 3 bucks is kind of a lot for such a tiny amount of cologne, it's a small price to pay if you dislike it.

TdH has a somewhat synthy woody base but its grapefruit and mineral/flint notes smell top notch. Its quite successful at creating a citrusy-earthy mineral accord and I challenge any of these '100% organic only' nichey perfumers to recreate this effect with their all-natural chemistry sets.
    -

I feel like TdH has synthetic ingredients, but is still smells pretty natural. It has a good dense oily smell in the base rather than something sharp and alcoholic.

Sorry guys, I don't find TdH to be synthetic in any way whatsoever. That's more an opinion than a fact. Maybe some of you think this because it can smell like Orange Pledge, I can understand that. While some may find it to smell like Orange Pledge (a cleaning product which in the fragrance world will automatically be compared to a synthetic if in a cologne) others may find TdH to smell like an orange blossom which is anything but synthetic.

Check out my recent thread on synthetic fragrances to understand my views a little more.
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 21st March 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Update - Back to the Parah, I've been wearing a little for the past hour and notice it to be like a lighter more citrusy L'eau D'issey, quite good really thus far (I found L'eau D'issey to be way too overpowering). Sillage is mediocre on this from what I can tell, I can't really detect how far it's out to be honest but I can say that I smell a lighter variation of what I put my nose up to, and it's quite pleasant. It becomes more oceanic as it stays on my skin. Royal, if you are following the forums here I would love to get your take on it too once you test it out. Thanks guys
    It's starting to warm up here, so the weather will finally be right for a wearing. I'm planning on breaking this stuff out on Tuesday on a day off of work so I can properly get to know it.
    I refuse to sink.

Another update on Parah... This blew my mind.
    Off my sample vial on my last application I got about 8 hours of staying power, 4+ hours with above average projection. Strongly reminds me of Tommy Bahama's dry down. Very good peppery/citrus, underrated or even unheard of. I highly recommend this.