Code of Conduct

Default Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

I was able to try Neroli Portofino today and would like to post my thoughts. Portofino opens with similarly to any other nouveau eau de cologne (Castile, Purple Water, etc) and the opening is a quite nice natural smelling citrus and bitter neroli. Within a few minutes a brief ultra floral neroli and bitter orange blossom takes over and from there the usual (and by usual I mean monotonous) chemical musk arises as stays for many hours. I have taken a shower and washed my hands several times since applying the musk is still going strong--certainly not a good sign for a quality cologne. Neroli Portofino strikes me as a less refined more masculine and very soapy version of Penhaligon's Castile. If anyone has any additional comments, please add them.

Default Re: Neroli Portofino by Tom Ford

Thanks for sharing your POV. I love Creed Neroli Sauvage, and have been curious about this one. I'll have to sample now - certainly not a blind buy though, per your comments. Thanks!

I quite like Neroli Portofino, and I find it very ambery after the first 20 min. I agree on the musk part, but I don't find it particularily offputting or chemical.

I didn't like this when I tried it due to musk and I also found it very chemical smelling.
    I prefer Castle Forbes Neroli and Creed Neroli Sauvage, although the Creed doesn't last long on me.

I agree, Neroli Porotfino does smell like a Johnny-come-lately eau de cologne. But the difference is its absurd longevity. It's a classic eau, done in quotation marks, but made to last 6 hours. This is just what I was looking for in a cologne. I recently bought a bottle, been using it almost daily and loving it. I wore it last night and I can still smell traces of it this morning. Absurd, I love absurd fragrances.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I agree, Neroli Porotfino does smell like a Johnny-come-lately eau de cologne. But the difference is its absurd longevity. It's a classic eau, done in quotation marks, but made to last 6 hours. This is just what I was looking for in a cologne. I recently bought a bottle, been using it almost daily and loving it. I wore it last night and I can still smell traces of it this morning. Absurd, I love absurd fragrances.
    I think the scent is quite lovely and I like the fact that it LASTS! I personally am not interested in fragrances that fade quickly/need to be re-applied.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

It certainly has longevity! But for the price, I would go with something else like CS Neroli, Trumper Portugal, or DR Harris Traditional Cologne

- Are Neroli Sauvage and Neroli Portofino similar?

- Are Neroli Sauvage and Neroli Portofino similar?

- Is Neroli Sauvage similar to Neroli Portofino?

Ive been a fan of Neroli Portofino for a while. I think just because its a classic styled cologne and its ridiculous price tag it gets a lot of negative comments. I also get insane longevity from it (at least 6-7 hours). I remember it was once of my first niche purchases. That said, I would try not to pay retail for it. Retail price is really my only gripe with it.

I smelled this on the weekend and instantly fell in love. I ended up buying it the next day. It's fresh and alive yet classy. A summer fragrance but I wear my perfumes all year round.

Not a fan of this fragrance at all.

good, but not worth the price.

I find Neroli Portofino to be worth the price. How many other great Eau de colognes last 8+ hours? It smells great and lasts a very long time. Just because it doesn't smell of leather, oud, tobacco or other heavy notes doesn't mean anything.
    The only one that comes close to the longevity in the same category is Eau de New York.
    Imagine there were no hypothetical situations.

SALES THREAD
    Pomegranate Noir 100 ml, 95% full no box - $90

Contact through PM

Basenotes Institution

Just noticed that Neroli Portofino bath/body products (shower gel, body lotion, soap, body scrub & body oil) are now available, at Neiman Marcus - in that day-glo blue bottle/packaging that is reminiscent of his scents for Estee Lauder just...brighter (and much more expensive)!
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

That's been available online for a while but I'm so glad I got it in the brown and gold bottle. I'm a sucker for gorgeous packaging and the brown and gold bottle is one of the reasons I love the TFPB range so much. The aqua is nice but makes it look less opulent.
    ♥ Tom Ford Private Blends, Diptyque candles, Jo Malone, Frederic Malle, Auric Blends.
    Please let me know if you're selling a bottle of Tom Ford - Noir de Noir

Well worth the price. I find the citrus balance to be perfect in addition to the light floral accord. I love the fact that this lasts all day and I have found myself reaching for it quite frequently.

I had an issue with it when I tried it the first time. There was a band-aid type accord that turned me off at the begining. However, I havent picked it up since.

Thumbs up on this one. This one is gonna rule the summer.

The body scrub and the shower gel are calling out to me.........

I found it too harsh. Lasts, that's sure, however...

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I loved the top-notes of Neroli Portofino. Longevity is impressive. I sprayed it on the back of my hand at the Airport in Kuala Lumpur, and could have sworn i sampled Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by the time i landed in Dubai (7-8 hours later) and the sillage was not yet nose-dig-into-skin weak. The drydowns of the two frags were to similar for me to buy NP.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I loved the top-notes of Neroli Portofino. Longevity is impressive. I sprayed it on the back of my hand at the Airport in Kuala Lumpur, and could have sworn i sampled Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta by the time i landed in Dubai (7-8 hours later) and the sillage was not yet nose-dig-into-skin weak. The drydowns of the two frags were to similar for me to buy NP.
    Yes, I find the drydowns of NP and Colonia Assoluta to be quite similar also. NP is a more beautiful scent for me though. Shame about that price though.

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    Hey Perfaddict, interesting that you write this. Every summer I pick a different cologne-type fragrance to wear during the hot and sticky weather. I also like the idea of having a specific olfactory memory for every year.
    Last year it was NP, but this summer I've already picked AdP Colonia Assoluta as my scent of the summer - I totally agree with you about the similarities between these, it just didn't click until I read your post.
    They certainly both share an unbelievable longevity, don't they!

Basenotes Institution

I find Neroli Portofino to be very similar to Anbar by Comme des Garcons, which is vastly more affordable.

And I still think the name sounds silly. Like a condominium complex, or something.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I find Neroli Portofino to be very similar to Anbar by Comme des Garcons, which is vastly more affordable.
    Mike, you are so right! I hadn't smelled Neroli Portofino until just recently. They both have that very tangy neroli/mandarin. Anbar is a touch sweeter, but like you said it is vastly more affordable.

500ml @ $82 vs 100ml @ $260

Now I have to try Anbar! Thanks guys.

CdG Anbar is a super-bargain. It works more like an EDT, but smells like a good ole Eau.

I felt compelled to bump this thread. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino is AWFUL! I am getting some Neroli with a major overdose of fruit loops vibe.

I do not understand what Tom Ford was attempting to accomplish with this fragrance, however on my skin and for my preferences, it is an utter disaster. Unwearable!

TJ

I feel compelled to bump this thread... but I'll go the other way. Neroli Portofino is this years' scent for beach-going summer days. I have many other fragrances, but this seems to go out the door with me more frequently as the temperature keeps getting hotter. Tom Ford continues to execute fresh, impeccable and luxurious design in gentlemen's fashion -- it's no surprise he does the same for fragrance.

I was hoping for a grand slam, and instead got a base hit. Not bad, but I expected more. Goes on smooth, but on me it rapidly developed a harsh synthetic quality reminiscent of public bathroom deodorizer. Not quite my cup of neroli, I much prefer the classic standards in this category, even though frequent reapplication may be necessary.

I tried this and liked it.....Now I have to try Anbar too!!!
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I was hoping for a grand slam, and instead got a base hit. Not bad, but I expected more. Goes on smooth, but on me it rapidly developed a harsh synthetic quality reminiscent of public bathroom deodorizer. Not quite my cup of neroli, I much prefer the classic standards in this category, even though frequent reapplication may be necessary.
    Agreed... the longevity comes at a price. There are a lot of better, more affordable frags in this category.

I quite like my sample so far - it reminds me of 4711 which I also like. It's not love though.

great scent, great longevity and gets lots of compliments for me...

Has anyone else tried the bath products as I'm interested in the body scrub, soap, shower gel and moisturiser. Harrods do the entire collection as a gift set including an atomiser, the only problem is you get a 50ml and 250ml fragrance which puts the price right up - I wish you could get the set without the 250ml.

I have the Body Moisturizer and love it. It's a thick, creamy moisturizer that is good on any clean skin. It is unmistakably fragranced with NP and lasts quite a long time.

For some reason in the States it's becoming harder to get a hold of -- I had my rep at Neiman Marcus order me a backup moisturizer from another store because I couldn't readily find it anywhere else, even from Nordstrom or NM Online. I hope it's not being modified or discontinued.

You won't be disappointed with it.

Wearing this today, is it supposed to be a very close to the skin fragrance? I've had it on for four hours or so and since about two hours after putting it on, I can only smell it by sniffing right up to my arm.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

I've noticed that if I've put too much on, my nose quickly tires of it and I can't smell it much after a couple of hours. I usually apply no more than 2 sprays of this particular fragrance - once on the inner arm and once toward the chest. I get good longevity from it this way. If you apply it similar to an Eau de Cologne you can easily... overindulge.

It's also possible you are anosmatic to some of the dry down notes. Either way, enjoy it now as I believe NP is at its best in the summertime.

i want the oil but my local NM still doesn't have it. the lotion is nice tho

Quote Originally Posted by sfmacintosh View Post
    I have the Body Moisturizer and love it. It's a thick, creamy moisturizer that is good on any clean skin. It is unmistakably fragranced with NP and lasts quite a long time.

For some reason in the States it's becoming harder to get a hold of -- I had my rep at Neiman Marcus order me a backup moisturizer from another store because I couldn't readily find it anywhere else, even from Nordstrom or NM Online. I hope it's not being modified or discontinued.

You won't be disappointed with it.
    This is a global production issue, not just in the United States. At supplier level all warehouses are sold out globally so whatever stock counters do have is currently all there is. Here in Australia we have had many of the body products sold out since May, and a waiting list in place since then, and have been told not to expect new stock until around mid August.

Although Ford's NP is nice initially, it does lose its neroli orange zest and becomes soapy/musky later, which isn't a bad thing for all noses. Atelier Cologne Absolue Grand Neroli is a true, clean, pure neroli that keeps its fresh scent structure. I love it! The bar soap is amazing in scent and quality and is $15 for a LARGE bar that doesn't melt. I'm hooked.

awesome thanks for your input, looking forward to sample this