Code of Conduct

Default BMM10 The Road To The Final Spritz Day 17-18 Recap

BMM10 The Road To The Final Spritz Day 17-18 Recap

It was Regional Semifinals in the Creed and Comme des Garcons Regions on tap, as we find out half of the Essential Eight. I’m Somerville Metro Man welcome back to The Road To The Final Spritz. Both of the remaining #1 seeds were in action as well as two of the remaining three Guerlains also took the floor. We’ll start in the Comme des Garcons Region.

The Guerilla Dome in Glasgow was packed as three of perfume’s highest profile houses were represented in the four teams that played their way here. The first match was a classic David and Goliath face-off as Guerlain Heritage took on Tauer Perfumes L’Air du Desert Marocain. L’Air du Desert Marocain had scored 50 in both of their earlier round victories and were never tested. The Tauer fans felt this vindicated their bitterness at having been left out of last year’s tournament. They have played like a much bigger bottle. Guerlain Heritage had a real battle as it took a last minute stand to hold off Yves St. Laurent Rive Gauche pour Homme in the last round. When you play in a conference as tough as the Guerlain you get used to close matches. That was why it was so surprising to see Heritage come out and immediately lose their spritzing touch, they couldn’t hit anything and once again L’Air du Desert Marocain blew a steady breeze and seemed like they couldn’t miss. By halftime L’Air held a 16 point lead and it just got worse in the second half as L’Air du Desert Marocain would go on to post a 21-point victory, 57-36, over Guerlain Heritage.

Their opponent would come form the other game under the Guerilla Dome between top seed in the region Yves St. Laurent Kouros and Dior Eau Sauvage. Both of these fragrances have been trendsetters and long time participants in this tournament. No one expected any nerves to show on either bottle’s part. Many expected the much stronger K-Men of Kouros to overwhelm the Citrus Savages of Eau Sauvage but it was the Savages that held the early lead 22-20. The K-Men didn’t panic and turned up the pressure on their spraying and tied the game up early in the second half. The match would stay poised on a knife’s edge until late in the half when Eau Sauvage went on a 4-0 spurt and closed the game out with a 47-42 victory.

This sets up an enticing Regional Final between Tauer Perfumes L’Air du Desert Marocain and Dior Eau Sauvage.

We head to London and the James Henry Creed Fieldhouse for the Creed Regional Final. The arena had a lot of long faces as the hometown fans were hoping for an all-Creed semifinal match of Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal. Unfortunately for them Guerlain Vetiver and Yves St. Laurent M7 didn’t want to turn those frowns upside down. Really any neutral fan would tell you that the four bottles in the Creed Region would make up a Final Spritz that anyone would love to watch. The committee overloaded this region and it shows in the quality on display in the Fieldhouse.

Guerlain Vetiver was the lone #1 seed standing after the loss by Kouros. There was no chance they were going to take M7 lightly as they had seen M7 leave Creed Bois du Portugal on the side of the motorway, in the previous round. The early going in this match saw the Mean Green of Vetiver take a two point lead 30-28 and they went into halftime with that lead. The second half saw M7 rev up their game and they took a lead only to have Vetiver battle back and the game was tied at 41. The final moment watched both bottles match each other spray for spray and it was Vetiver who ended up making the final spray go down winning 48-46.

The other Creed semifinal was an equally tight affair between Aramis Havana and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan. These are also bottles that have taken a trip or two around The Big Boutique and they were not going to show any nerves once battle was joined. That was why it was so surprising that The Sultan raced out to an early ten point lead over Havana. Many in the crowd were thinking the newly reformulated Havana offense was showing less potency but after halftime Havana showed the error of that thinking. Havana had believed that their new offense was every bit as potent as the old and their spraying in the second half showed that to be true. Havana staged a furious rally and took that ten point deficit and melted it to one with two minutes remaining. You could feel the gold turbans getting tighter on all of the supporters of The Sultan. This was the Havana they feared. Coming out of their last time out Ambre Sultan ran a text book pick and spray to take the lead back. They surprisingly went full boutique press as Havana tried to inbounds for their last shot. The subsequent steal and score locked up a two point victory 46-44. The Havana fans were crestfallen as they fall short once again. Havana still has the tag of “Best Bottle Never To Win”. Ambre Sultan marches on towards what they hope is vindication for last year’s runner-up finish.

The Creed Regional Final of Guerlain Vetiver and Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan has subplots galore and it should have the Fieldhouse rocking.

Remember to keep voting and watching as only you have the ability to determine the winner.
    I’ll be back in two days as the Essential Eight will be complete.
    Until then, I'll see you back here on The Road to The Final Spritz.
    Somerville Metro Man….Out!
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Default Re: BMM10 The Road To The Final Spritz Day 17-18 Recap

For all the talk of unbalanced regions, there have been plenty of good matches throughout the tournament. Guerlain Vetiver and Ambre Sultan, if placed in different regions, would both advance in my opinion.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Was that 'unbalanced regions' or unbalanced Basenoters? :smile:
    Last edited by kbe; 20th March 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

It isn't the teams that advance that make the region unbalanced in my opinion it is the teams that didn't advance that feel the sting.
    Let's look at the two beaten finalists.
    If Havana had swapped the #6 seed with Chanel allure Homme in the Serge Lutens Region i bet they make the round of eight.
    If you swapped 13 seeds M7 with Silver Mountain Water I bet M7 makes the regional final.Similar cases could be made for earlier victims from in the Creed Region as I believe Antaeus, Green Irish Tweed, Bois du Portugal, and more arguably Burberry London and Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille; would all have had different outcomes in a different region with the same seed. I realize the M7 switch would've put three Creeds in the region but having the two most popular Creeds in the same region was another example of the power of this region. Not to mention three of the top 9 SotY fragrances in the top half of the bracket (Vetiver, GIT, and BdP) because this was going to be determined by forum readers voting you could arguably say any of those fragrances shouldn't have been slotted to meet until the Scented Sixteen the earliest. The same situation occurs in the lower half of the Guerlain Region as Habit Rouge, Egoiste, and Terre D'Hermes are all bunched together.
    The counter argument is in black and white in the Serge Lutens Region as Dior Homme and Guerlain Jicky were SotY top 10 members and they went down in the second round.
    In the CdG region it is a mixed bag as Rive Gauche PH lost in the second round and L'Air du Desert Marocain is in the Essential Eight.
    This is not taking anything away from the difficult job that you face when putting together the brackets but just like the NCAA's the committee takes their lumps when they overload a region from the press. There will always be controversy in any tournament I'm just commenting on where I see it. Because that's my job.
    Plus this is the reason they have sports talk radio because you can have many differing view of the same events.
    Plus I think it is fun to ask what if?
    Anyway that is what I'm talking about when I say a region is unbalanced in my opinion.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

SMM is right. The whole world is unbalanced if Habit Rouge doesn't make it to the finals. Go Habit Rouge!
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

Blog Entries

Sure, and I wasn't taking any offense to the statement, and honestly I couldn't because as I've stressed before I remain largely hands-off when it comes to how the regions are set, I let the data determine the location. I feel like if I tried to do it by hand I would cause more of a stir than if I let the numbers do the seeding and placement. I might toy with it in a future game/event.

As you said, there will always be arguments over who got the easy road and who got the "region of death", and seeing something like Jaipur and Egoiste in the Olfactory Eight while Dior Homme and Jicky lost on bad beats is plenty confirmation, but I don't think a purely subjective approach is the way to go, partly because my tastes will run differently than anyone elses and partly because I haven't tried all 65.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.