Code of Conduct

Thread: zino davidoff

Default zino davidoff

man i blind bought this fragrance and initially when i sprayed it i thought the top notes were horrible so i put it back on the shelf. but im giving it a full wearing today and i really enjoy it. its VERY earthly, sweet rose type of scent. really unique and nothing in my collection smells like it. i compare it to guerlain vetiver in that its one of those scents that you would wear because YOU enjoy the scent, not necessarily because you are trying to make a good impression on others. guerlain vetiver and this scent to me are types of scents that others MIGHT not care for, but you enjoy wearing them. thanks to everyone who recommended it! i wish the staying power was a little better but oh well...
    Last edited by Armor King; 20th March 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Default Re: zino davidoff

You're right, AK, Zino and GV are wonderful and you should absolutely love to wear fragrances that you enjoy.

Zino is one of their better early scents.

There's a very early first note that offends my nose, but it's gone in like the first minute. I don't know what it is... but it just hits my nose as BO or something. But Zino is still one of my all-time faves.

Zino can be kinda harsh at the beginning, but after that it is just beautiful.
    I don't know much about medicine, but I know what I like. -- S.J. Perelman

I agree. I only recently discovered this one (thanks BN) and I'm absolutely loving it. Very sad to hear (on BN) that this fragrance is being discontinued. This is the first frag I feel compelled to rush and get a back-up of in fear that it will soon be hard to come by. Thankfully, as of now, it's still well-stocked at many discounters.

Yeah it's one of my favorites. Very sorry to hear it's been discontinued

I don't think it is discontinued, it is just that it is poorly supplied all over the world. It can be easily found in Germany I think. We need a German guy to confirm this. Even discontinued Davidoff Relax can be found in Davidoff stores, or even few german online shopping sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Zgb View Post
    I don't think it is discontinued, it is just that it is poorly supplied all over the world.
    Actually, it really has been discontinued recently, along with some others by Davidoff.

Details here.
    Rare, vintage, and niche off-site sales.
    Splits: O'driu, La Via del Profumo/AbdesSalaam Attar, Nasomatto, Chanel Les Exclusifs, Profumi del Forte, Mona di Orio, Kurkdjian, Slumberhouse.
    New atomizer and decanting supplies for sale.
    For me a work of fiction exists only insofar as it affords me what I shall bluntly call aesthetic bliss, that is a sense of being somehow, somewhere, connected with other states of being where art (curiosity, tenderness, kindness, ecstasy) is the norm. - Vladimir Nabokov

Quote Originally Posted by strifeknot View Post
    Actually, it really has been discontinued recently, along with some others by Davidoff.

Details here.
    this so wrong, it shouldn't be so...

Zino: beautiful, unique, manly
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I really like this fragrance as well. It goes to show that just because a fragrance does not seem pleasant the first time you sample it, it may very well work out in the future.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

AromiErotici

I am revisiting Zino today and dug up this thread after wearing it. One of the best woody-rose-tobacco designers you will get your hands on. It's longevity is average....not horrible by any means...just average and the sillage is perfect. Something THIS DARK and MASCULINE is not something you want with Joop attributes. There would be collateral damage.

It's outstanding just the way it is.

I too bought this blind and I'm glad I did. It's really very black, and goes with everything, including associated moods.
    I'll order some backups soon.

I've worn it twice over the last couple of weeks. The top notes might not be strong any more, because I'm getting mostly the base notes, which come across as tobacco added to a woody/amber that is very well balanced. I can't detect clear rose, but there seem to be some other things blended in there to provide a sense of fullness and/or richness. My sense of smell has been much less sensitive over the last couple of months, so that might explain it. I can't believe how my sensitivity has changed so dramatically in such a short period of time.

AromiErotici

Over a year ago, I was EXTREMELY sensitive to lavender....but I found it was due to a certain dental medication I was on for that period of time. I ended up getting rid of alot of frags I wished I'd kept.

Edit:

A great fragrance by Michel Almairac and Pierre Bourdon.

It was made six years before Heritage, and I prefer Zino by about the same distance. It gets a little lactonic at times, but the woody amber which skyrockets in Heritage, tends to stay in control with Zino. It really is a masterpiece of sorts. Making a rich oriental that is somewhat consistently wearable is quite a feat.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd June 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Zino, Salvador Dali pour Homme, Heritage, La Martina Cuero and a hardly known local scent with very poor distribution called Wels Tabac Beige enjoy common accords, even though some data bases describe them as belonging to different families.

These are among the best in my wardrobe, I have to admit.
    Last edited by Pollux; 19th June 2010 at 01:43 AM.

Top notes smell like old garbage to me. I tried to wear this several times and to no avail, I eventually sold this and for more than what I paid which was great. It's hard to believe that this gets as much praise as it does. I have a lot of respect for 80's fragrances, but Zino just smells foul to me. If I can get past the top notes.. the middle and base are a little more appealing, but those top notes last a good 45 mins to an hour. In any other case I'd be happy, but when accompanied with such an odor like this, I'll pass. I try not to start threads bashing fragrances, at least not anymore, but I couldn't resist contributing to this thread with my honest feedback. Smelling like garbage is bad enough, Zino happens to project considerably too, so others around you may think you sprayed a Pizza Hut dumpster on you somehow.

AromiErotici

Smelling like garbage is bad enough, Zino happens to project considerably too, so others around you may think you sprayed a Pizza Hut dumpster on you

Lol....I come from a neighborhood that has to be smelled to be believed....and a Pizza Hut Dumpster would have been a come-up. Funny how one man's beautiful accord is another's horror.

I tend to think of the smell of "garbage" to be rotting organic matter of a certain kind. Rotting fish doesn't smell like that, and I think most of us have a distinct idea of what rotten fish smells like. Zino does not smell like rotting organic matter, but there are reasons why some might think this. Total "newbies" might not be familiar with certain notes or accords. Another possibility is that a person is especially sensitive to certain notes and accords, leading to a unpleasant experience. Yet another possibility, and one that I think is most likely, is that it produces a similar sensation that feels physical. I have described some accords as "nose twisters," for example (Habit Rouge EdC does that to me), and I can see how rotting garbage can also have that effect. I read a post on a blog a while back in which the person said that lavender can feel like it is getting behind his or her sinuses and producing pressure. This person said that could lead to a migraine. I guess the point is to be as observant as possible, so that you know exactly what is going on and can, perhaps, make adjustments so that you can appreciate frags to the utmost.

I got this blind, just tried it today. I was a little worried about it but so far I like it a lot. It's the first rose frag that I haven't felt self conscious about wearing. Staying power for me is good but it required a few more sprays than I do with most, seems to be on the weaker side. As of now still easy to find on the net and $28 for 4.2oz isn't bad at all.

It would seem that a lot of people buy this one blind. This scent is great, erotic, warm, dark. Autumn and winter evening fragrance for romantic occasions. This one is not a casual wear scent.

I bought this one blind several years ago and wore it for the first time in June of that year. Bear in mind that in New Orleans, June can be oppressive with the 3H's. It was wonderful! Love it and wear it whenever the mood strikes, whatever the weather conditions.

Another blind buy here .. Just received it today so still making my mind up, but something at the start was definitely was not nice. After that it calmed down and became quite pleasant. It is now wearing close to the skin (about 30-40mins). Not quite sure if it suits me (in my 20's), thinking maybe formal wear or a present for my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldspice View Post
    I got this blind, just tried it today. I was a little worried about it but so far I like it a lot. It's the first rose frag that I haven't felt self conscious about wearing. Staying power for me is good but it required a few more sprays than I do with most, seems to be on the weaker side. As of now still easy to find on the net and $28 for 4.2oz isn't bad at all.
    I feel the same way. Together with Ungaro II, these are my 2 favorite masculine florals.

Zino Davidoff is one of the finest and most complex powerhouse frags around

When I first sprayed Zino, honestly speaking, I didn't really like it. Days after I tried it again, I waited for the dry down and this time I did like it very much! It's sweet but not over poweringly sweet. I think I just over sprayed the first time I tried this.
    This fragrance is a bit strong. If you spray too much, the longer you will have to wait for the yummy, sweet dry down.=) So take it easy on the sprayer.
    Last edited by volley2; 24th June 2010 at 09:10 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Zino Davidoff is one of the finest and most complex powerhouse frags around
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I agree.
    I agree with your agreement. I'm actually wearing it today, this is a deep, woody,perfectly balanced masculine scent,.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Basenotes Institution

I really should re-test this one. I hated it the first time I smelled it...well, maybe not hate. I was totally bored with it. But, now I love Heritage and everyone talks about them in the same breath so I feel like I ought to give it another chance.

Zino Davidoff sports one of the most beautiful Rose/Patchouli accords that I have ever smelled.This is an absolutely gorgeous, elegant fragrance.