Code of Conduct

Thread: Caron

Default Caron

I really love L'anarchiste and i am thinking about buying either PH or 3rd man to complement my wardrobe. The problem is, since they are not wide available in my country i will have to import them, so i will probably buy one of them blind.

I have heard that 3rd man smells like egoiste, if that is the case i will go easily with PH, since egoiste is too overcloying to my taste.

So, could you guys help me make this decision? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Rbsann; 20th March 2010 at 10:36 PM.

Default Re: Caron

Pour Homme is the safer, more conservative choice. I would not say 3rd Man smells like Egoiste exactly. It is very distinctive, but should probably be sampled first. It probably is a bit "cloying" to some people.

Read in the directory about 3rd Man and see what you think. I have a small bottle and it is very nice. But maybe toooo nice. It is very "pretty" as Luca Turin's Guide says. I wouldn't call it feminine, but I know a lot of women like it and wear it. It is a very well designed and crafted scent.

I don't find many occasions to wear it. Too many scents in my wardrobe that I like a lot better.

I would go for PH- in my opinion, a classic which smells way ahead of its times, it has quite a few warm vanilla, floral and spicy notes marginally reminding of a gourmand, without actually being one

I love them both... 3rd man is exceptional as is PH IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Pour Homme is the safer, more conservative choice. I would not say 3rd Man smells like Egoiste exactly. It is very distinctive, but should probably be sampled first. It probably is a bit "cloying" to some people.

Read in the directory about 3rd Man and see what you think. I have a small bottle and it is very nice. But maybe toooo nice. It is very "pretty" as Luca Turin's Guide says. I wouldn't call it feminine, but I know a lot of women like it and wear it. It is a very well designed and crafted scent.

I don't find many occasions to wear it. Too many scents in my wardrobe that I like a lot better.
    I truly enjoy Le Troisieme Homme and find it a very "safe" unisex scent. I even spritz hubby with this and he does not mind.

Very "pretty," as Turin says, because of the floral notes. Advertising for this earlier contained a picture of white orchids. Why can't men also like flowers? My all time fav perfume poster boy was very fond of eau de jasmin!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I truly enjoy Le Troisieme Homme and find it a very "safe" unisex scent. I even spritz hubby with this and he does not mind.

Very "pretty," as Turin says, because of the floral notes. Advertising for this earlier contained a picture of white orchids. Why can't men also like flowers? My all time fav perfume poster boy was very fond of eau de jasmin!
    That was one of the better write ups in the Guide. I ran out and bought it based on that and have not been disappointed. It is a magnificent frag. I put some on today after replying in this thread. At that price point, it must be tried by any serious Basenoter indeed.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 21st March 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Sur la Plage

You can't go wrong with any of the Caron men's fragrances IMO.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Go with PH. You'll be happy you did.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Go with PH. You'll be happy you did.
    Unless you don't particularly like lavender or vanilla that is

The 3rd Man is a magnificent composition and it can be cloying with its strong opening, florals, and the looong lasting base of moss, tonka, and musk. It also has a brief caramel accord. Thanks to JaimeB of Basenotes, we found out it was composed by a Japanese lady. You'll have no problem if you apply carefully. Your bottle will go a long way.
    Pour Un Homme is indeed a masterpiece; a classic that is very easy to wear today--and will always be. It has a sharp lavender opening which quickly moves into a base of vanilla and amber. Unlike many others, I find more amber[gris] in this than vanilla which in warmer weather turns slightly animalic on me. There's also a dry herbal lavender note that lingers on.
    It is safe for every occasion. I'm probably biased but It's my comfort scent and it brings me memories of good old childhood days. It's also my "desert island' scent, and my "first day of spring" scent. I wore it today.
    Read the reviews. They'll help.
    Enjoy!

I am one of the women who wears 3rd Man, gorgeous I find smooth and elegant. No no like Egoiste which is big on the sandalwood.

Now I also own PH too. Great lavender start which disappears on me quickly to leave a vanilla/amber accord not cloying at all.
    DONNA

I'm a fan of L'Anarchiste and I also love Yatagan, but think that 3rd Man is just a nice lavendery floral. I actively dislike PH. I know most people would never suggest Yatagan as a blind buy, but I would, esp. for a fan of L'Anarchiste who wants to blind buy a second Caron.

The thing about the Caron men's fragrances is that they are so completely different from each other, that I doubt if you can find a common thread. This is a blessing and a bit of a caveat; liking one is not going to guarantee that you'll like another. That said, I agree that they're all excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The thing about the Caron men's fragrances is that they are so completely different from each other, that I doubt if you can find a common thread. This is a blessing and a bit of a caveat; liking one is not going to guarantee that you'll like another. That said, I agree that they're all excellent.
    This is right. I own all four and could imagine going through life wearing nothing but these three Carons. You won't be making a mistake if you try to, or pick up a second Caron because your first was so rewarding.

What Caron needs to do is add a vetiver scent to the lineup. Dipytique does too.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

PuH and 3rd Man are very satisfying. Flawless blends that carry the classic status with ease. Agree w' DustB about a world need for a Caron vetiver.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.