Code of Conduct

Default A brief note and an anecdote on Magie Noire (1978) by Lancôme

I tried it since it happened to be used by an old girlfriend back in the 1980's, it (literally) made me want to stick my nose on her neck whenever she wore it.

What I found was that it was not, to the extent of my memory, what it used to be - I recall a very clear leather accord that is still present in the drydown, but the top notes are more citrous-like rather than flowery. At the same time, I found it subtler, less bolder, "ethereal" if were not for the basenotes.

Asked my Wife about it she described it as a very nice fragrance - and here is the surprise - she pointed out that in her opinion it was a "very masculine" scent. I told her. She laughed... and said "go and get it!". Not yet: but still, another one in my wishlist.

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/ID10212059.html

Default Re: A brief note and an anecdote on Magie Noire (1978) by Lancôme

You wife has excellent taste. (Obviously!) I agree with her that a man could easily wear it. I tried it a long time ago and thought of it as being along the same lines as Azuree and Aromatics Elixir. What do you think?

Similar to Iquitos, which is a bit fruitier. Also, rather than Aromatics Elixir, I suggest Pheromone for Men by Miglin. However, that is just my personal preference. If you like a bit more floral, then the "women's" ones may be best for those interested.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Advocate, she does have good taste for dressing and I would dare to say she is a very stylish woman, with a sort of Mediterraean presence in her eyes than can put any men to his knees. The point being, I failed completely in my educational goals when it comes to perfumes - she won't give orientals a chance because, in her opinion, they are for old ladies. Now, it looks she likes them on me... judging from a past experience with Opium and now with Magie Noire.

Regarding Aromatics Elixir, i tried it since Aramis 900 is unavailable locally and what I got was some sort of caotic smelling experience on the verge of olfactory overdose. I never tried something so strong in my life. The point being, I could not stop smelling myself for almost twelve hours. Chant made it again.

Mmmm. The aldehydes can be a bit strong, but I love it. Shalimar, Youth Dew, Opium, Coco, and Magie Noire are the classic orientals and great on either gender.
    I offer you perfume,
    More for its pleasure than for yours;
    You perfume perfume.

--Anonymous Ancient Greek Love Lyric

Quote Originally Posted by Pollux View Post
    Regarding Aromatics Elixir, i tried it since Aramis 900 is unavailable locally and what I got was some sort of caotic smelling experience on the verge of olfactory overdose. I never tried something so strong in my life. The point being, I could not stop smelling myself for almost twelve hours. Chant made it again.
    I've always found the key to AE was go light on the trigger and applying it at least an hour before leaving the house. I have the EdP and love it, but it is a powerful one.