Code of Conduct

Arrow Which Carven Vetiver to buy?

Not that I need another vetiver fragrance in my wardrobe. I nearly bought every single one of them that I could get my hands on. Somehow this one escaped my clutches but not for long, I think.

I can find it quite cheap on eBay but just before I grab one, I'd like to know if the vintage version was any better? I know that all reformulations are horrible and that one should almost always buy vintage version of any cologne, yet I still dare to ask.

I've spotted a few pictures and would be grateful if you could date them. Thanks

Lastly there is a variant that's called CARVEN VETIVER DRY
    How is this different from their regular Vetiver?

Please wait
    Image not available

Default Re: Which Carven Vetiver to buy?

I can't speak to the others as I only have the one in the white box, but I love it and I don't think you could wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Not that I need another vetiver fragrance in my wardrobe. I nearly bought every single one of them that I could get my hands on. Somehow this one escaped my clutches but not for long, I think.

I can find it quite cheap on eBay but just before I grab one, I'd like to know if the vintage version was any better? I know that all reformulations are horrible and that one should almost always buy vintage version of any cologne, yet I still dare to ask.

I've spotted a few pictures and would be grateful if you could date them. Thanks
    I've got the one with the green swirl cap. After the arrival of my Himalaya Vetiver sample I can imagine how somebody might have had the idea of complementing it with mint. And citrus. On the way to work it out Carven might have run out of vetiver. The green cap version is minty citric and in the drydown a very clean and subsequently light 'white' vetiver occures. It lasts not to long, may be about 5 hours which is a benefit, I think. An uplifting fragrance, not impressiive in its attitude but for sure remarkable if compared to contemporary offerings.

Alas I've got no clue regarding the others. If cheap, why not just try them - resell if of low interest?

Have Fun

Just to complicate things a little more, there is also the newest "Le Vetiver" from Carven which is an Eau de Parfum.

It was released in 2009, but I have still not heard much about it.
    http://www.nstperfume.com/2009/10/28...new-fragrance/

I own the 3rd bottle that you have pictured (white box, hint of green at the bottom of the glass). I believe this version came out in 2006 according to some of the reviews written in the directory. It's a bit smokey and grassy, but I haven't tried the other versions so I can't compare them.

I believe that the one with the green swirl top is the original Carven Vetiver - It had an excellent reputation here on Basenotes, but I've never tried it. The next one - the one with the wood cap - was a rebottling of the original, I believe. I don't know if it was reformulated, and I never smelled that one either... That one with the wooden was later replaced by one like the last example, but with a silver metal cap and without the word "Dry" in the title (the boxes and bottles [sort of hip-flask shaped] look similar but one was called "Carven Vetiver" and one was called "Carven Vetiver Dry.") I have the regular Carven Vetiver with the silver cap. It's a very light and has a pure, clean vetiver feeling ... I didn't care for it when I first bought it because I thought it was too light and watered down, but I learned to appreciate it, and would buy it again if I found it... (It and the Dry version were very inexpensive.) I also have the bottle with the white box - it replaced the metal capped Carven Vetivers - both regular and dry. I do not like the one in the white box... it has violet leaf and nutmeg notes like too many other fragrances from 2006.
    Last edited by foetidus; 21st March 2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: additional thoughts

Thanks guys for your responses.

Mint, lemon and vetiver sounds interesting to me. I just wish longevity isn't too dismal.
    I read somewhere, can't recall where, that Carven Vetiver smells like Vetiver Extraordinaire. Obviously it seems that is not the case.

As luck would have it, I just missed out on the 3.4oz (supposedly vintage) bottle of Carven Vetiver (with the swirl cap) on ebay that sold for a princely sum of $10. I guess I'd keep lurking on the bay, to wait for another steal and grab it when I see one. In any case I'd avoid the bottle with the white box. So it has to be either the one with the swirl green cap (preferably) or the one with the wooden cap.

Quote Originally Posted by gupts View Post
    Thanks guys for your responses.

Mint, lemon and vetiver sounds interesting to me. I just wish longevity isn't too dismal.
    I read somewhere, can't recall where, that Carven Vetiver smells like Vetiver Extraordinaire. Obviously it seems that is not the case.

As luck would have it, I just missed out on the 3.4oz (supposedly vintage) bottle of Carven Vetiver (with the swirl cap) on ebay that sold for a princely sum of $10. I guess I'd keep lurking on the bay, to wait for another steal and grab it when I see one. In any case I'd avoid the bottle with the white box. So it has to be either the one with the swirl green cap (preferably) or the one with the wooden cap.
    I have all 3 versions - the vintage bottle with the green swirl "C" cap; the rectangular bottle with the wooden cap; and the newest version that comes in the white box, with a nearly square, very heavy clear bottle with a clear plastic cap. I love them all, but my favorite is actually the newest version, which has a fantastic opening, and a faintly leathery dry down. After the first 10 minutes, it's a very close-to-the-skin scent, which I don't mind a bit, and it's certainly one of my favorites. It's not very expensive, either. (I especially love it right after a shower - it feels so light and clean.) I don't think you'd go wrong with any version of this very classic scent.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Vetiverlover View Post
    ...and the newest version that comes in the white box, with a nearly square, very heavy clear bottle with a clear plastic cap. I love them all, but my favorite is actually the newest version...
    Is this one of the bottles pictured above? If not, please post a photo of this 'newest' one. I thought the one with the wood rectangular shaped cap (posted above) was the 'new' one...
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Just don't buy this one:

It is awful, the others are OK
    Perfume lovers of the world UNITE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is this one of the bottles pictured above? If not, please post a photo of this 'newest' one. I thought the one with the wood rectangular shaped cap (posted above) was the 'new' one...
    I should have said "the newest still in production", meaning the second photo from the top. I assume "Le Vetiver EDP" has been discontinued, as it is impossible to find it on this side of the Atlantic.

I should have said "the newest still in production", meaning the second photo from the top. I assume "Le Vetiver EDP" has been discontinued, as it is impossible to find it on this side of the Atlantic.

It's still obtainable here (they ship worldwide):

http://www.cheapsmells.com/productPa...e=Le%20Vetiver

I have it and it's very good indeed (I put a review in the directory).

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    It's still obtainable here (they ship worldwide):

http://www.cheapsmells.com/productPa...e=Le%20Vetiver

I have it and it's very good indeed (I put a review in the directory).
    Thanks so much! I've just ordered, and can't wait to receive it!

Thanks so much! I've just ordered, and can't wait to receive it!
    You're welcome, I hope you like it!