Code of Conduct

Default Where to find synthetic animal scents?

Hi there,

I am new in fragrance making. I really love deep notes like ambergris and civet in perfumes... I am wondering if some of you know where I can get the synthetic equivalents at reasonable price?

Thank you

Default Re: Where to find synthetic animal scents?

Welcome, Argane! There is a Fragrance DIY section a few steps down - those folks would probably know best.

Yes, try the DIY section. The first place to look would be Perfumer's Apprentice. They sell synthetics of all sorts. I've bought from them a number of times and recommend them highly. Of course, if you're not in the US, you'd have to find out if they ship internationally.

How nice of you, first of all, to consider using synthetics rather than real animal ingredients, most of which, I am sure, involve cruelty of some sort or another!

Here is a thread on synthetic castoreum, which is made from dead beavers.

Another natural yet cruelty-free ingredient is hyraceum, made from petrified/processed hyrax urine. No furry critters are killed or injured in collecting this. Hyraceum is a really nice animalic note for elegant scents, and is wonderful in the Liz Zorn Tobacco and Tulle perfume.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/231...reum?p=1645758

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/190124-Hyrax-Hyraceum
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for your sweet advices and sorry for having posted my request, I will, for sure, go to the DIY section. And I will update my profile. I am in Toronto, Canada.
    Just to reply quickly to Primrose, I am definitely trying to be more considerate regarding to the origin of some scents, specially involving animal cruelty. Believe me, I saw a video on YouTube about ambergris and the way they take it from whales, I don't have the same opinion on animal scents now... Oh, I don't get how synthetic castoreum could be made from dead beavers??... I didn't know about hyraceum. I read on the net that it's a good alternative as it mixes scents of musk, civet, castoreum, tobacco and agarwood. Here is what a mix of fragrant poop and urine looks like )

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    How nice of you, first of all, to consider using synthetics rather than real animal ingredients, most of which, I am sure, involve cruelty of some sort or another!

Here is a thread on synthetic castoreum, which is made from dead beavers.

Another natural yet cruelty-free ingredient is hyraceum, made from petrified/processed hyrax urine. No furry critters are killed or injured in collecting this. Hyraceum is a really nice animalic note for elegant scents, and is wonderful in the Liz Zorn Tobacco and Tulle perfume.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/231...reum?p=1645758

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/190124-Hyrax-Hyraceum
    Glad I found this thread - being vegan and new to the world of fragrances. Unfortunately leather is one of my favourite scent notes, so I'm incredibly conflicted. Makes me reluctant to wear Polo or Burberry London even though I love them both to death.

I would bet that the "leather" scents in Polo and Burberry are entirely synthetic, so not to worry.